VOGONS

Reply 1100 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dwedit wrote on 2020-08-17, 22:42:

Okay, just wanted to make sure it wouldn't do something silly like auto-mute a tracked named "bongo Drums" or "bass Drums" on channel 16 if there was a track named "xciting Drums" on channel 10.

Actually name of tracks that use channel 10 does not play at all. It's enough to inspect name of tracks that use channel 16. I have said that pattern is more permissive since instead of exact 'bDrums' you can also find 'bDrum Setup' etc. I have even thought about that if a track's name contains 'Drum' and the track use channel 16, it would be enough to be sure that it is intended to be played as a drum track. But I have left 'bDrum' in the pattern.

Dwedit wrote on 2020-08-17, 22:42:

For safety, I'd check that MIDI channels 11 and 12 were unused as well.

It could be a good idea if these Midi files would follow this rule. But they do not 😀. Actually even in your package you can find files such as HOEDOWN.MID, ORLEANS.MID that use both channel 11 and channel 12 yet they expect channel 16 to be a drum channel at the same time. (You can check this with the help of Midi Player's Midi Channels visualization dialog.)

And even in case of false positive hits you can always select manual 'All Channels (1-16)' mode. But according to my tests such Midi files must be very rare (I have found none so far).

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1101 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to play TFX on DOSBOX ECE lastest version But When I use midiplay latest version in order to enable Sound Canvas VA vst, its sound is weird comparing with Sound from savihost.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwb00usqd9jx9kw/ban … 15-750.avi?dl=0
using savihost to load SCVA

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pracnm8ggvc4um/ban … 47-413.avi?dl=0
using midiplay to load SCVA(weird sound start from 0:21)

Is there any workaround to solve this problem?

Reply 1102 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bshi02 wrote on 2020-09-16, 02:10:
I tried to play TFX on DOSBOX ECE lastest version But When I use midiplay latest version in order to enable Sound Canvas VA vst, […]
Show full quote

I tried to play TFX on DOSBOX ECE lastest version But When I use midiplay latest version in order to enable Sound Canvas VA vst, its sound is weird comparing with Sound from savihost.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwb00usqd9jx9kw/ban … 15-750.avi?dl=0
using savihost to load SCVA

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pracnm8ggvc4um/ban … 47-413.avi?dl=0
using midiplay to load SCVA(weird sound start from 0:21)

Is there any workaround to solve this problem?

Hi, First of all it would have been much better if instead of showing the game screen (that is totally irrelevant debugging this problem) you had shown FSMP and SC-VA instrument page.
But back to the point: Most likely the problem is that you have enabled Main menu -> Instruments -> Use patch info for capital tone fallback option.
You should disable it for this game. Also make sure that Main menu -> SysEx Options -> Enable SysEx from Midi in is enabled (it is by default).
The problem is that TFX is one of the few games that actually uses GS specific SysEx messages to set drum channels other than channel 10 ( channels 2,3,5 used as Drum channel sometimes). And it also tries to use program 117 on channel 5 while channel 5 is set to be a drum channel. Unfortunately no such Drum program exists in any of the Sound Canvas generation. So FSMP when detects this and 'Use patch info for capital tone fallback' option is enabled sends a program change 0 message to set default. But mysteriously this sets piano sound on SC-VA while the interface shows correctly STANDARD-1 Drum set.
Since not using 'Use patch info for capital tone fallback' option seems has no side effect it's the simplest workaround. I have uploaded a video illustrating the above:
https://youtu.be/MWk2Bo0Raio

Reply 1103 of 1690, by JohnK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

This is my first post and view on this forum, so not sure about how it all works together. So sorry if I get something out of place.

I use BassMidiVSTi within Cakewalk as my DAW. It is the best Soundfont VSTi player I have found. However, I think the implementation of bank select within a SoundFont is not quite right.

Currently, to select different banks within a soundfont, I have to issue the corresponding bank as an MSB The LSB is ignored. However, in a copy of the SoundFont specifications published by EMU, the bank select is via LSB, and not MSB.

In the doc, it says:
"MIDI CC32 Bank Select LSB - When received, may behave in conjunction with CC0 Bank Select to provide a total of
16384 possible MIDI banks of programs."
However, BassMidiVSTi only uses the MSB, so is limited to only 128 banks; each with up to 128 presets. The above from the doc is clear that the LSB is used to move up a single bank (0 to 127) and the MSB to jump up 128 banks and hence 128*128=16384 banks, as stated in the SoundFont documentation. Since BassMIDIVsti is only using MSB (and using it as an LSB), it is limited to only 128 banks.

To illustrate the issue further with a practical example, most GM Soundfonts have drum presets in bank 128 (ie MSB=1 & LSB=0). However, since BassMidiVsti can only set the MSB (and uses it as the LSB), you can thereby only access banks 0-127. You can not get to bank 128, so I cannot access the drum bank; except by using MIDI channel 10. However, i should be able to set any of the MIDI channels to a drum preset. And furthermore, in a Soundfont I should able to set two different MIDI channels to two different Drum presets.

Here is the bank definitions taken from BassMIDIVsti itself, showing the drum presets in bank 128.. Note, this pattern is basically a standard for GM Soundfonts.

Name: Aspirin 160 GM GS Bank
CopyRight: Public Domain
Comment:

File Size: 15,817.4 KB
Sample Size: 15,708.1 KB
Sample Type: Uncompressed

Presets: 207

001. 000:000 = Kingston Piano
002. 000:001 = K2000 StereoBright
003. 000:002 = Aspirin DoublePi
...snip...
192. 127:056 = SFXXG
193. 127:127 = CM-64/32 DrumXG
194. 128:000 = Stan1-Asp
195. 128:001 = Stan2-Asp
196. 128:007 = Room-Asp
197. 128:016 = Power-Asp
198. 128:024 = Electric-Asp
199. 128:025 = TR808 Ext-Asp
200. 128:026 = DanceDrum-Asp
201. 128:030 = TR909 Ext-Asp
202. 128:032 = Jazz-Asp
203. 128:040 = Brush-Asp
204. 128:048 = Orchestra-Asp
205. 128:056 = Chaos SFX
206. 128:057 = Rhythm FX-SC88
207. 128:127 = Chaos CM-64/32 Drum

Or am I using it wrong? and there is a way to set channel 1 to bank 128?

Reply 1104 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JohnK wrote on 2020-09-16, 06:11:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

This is my first post and view on this forum, so not sure about how it all works together. So sorry if I get something out of place.

I use BassMidiVSTi within Cakewalk as my DAW. It is the best Soundfont VSTi player I have found. However, I think the implementation of bank select within a SoundFont is not quite right.

Currently, to select different banks within a soundfont, I have to issue the corresponding bank as an MSB The LSB is ignored. However, in a copy of the SoundFont specifications published by EMU, the bank select is via LSB, and not MSB.

In the doc, it says:
"MIDI CC32 Bank Select LSB - When received, may behave in conjunction with CC0 Bank Select to provide a total of

Hi,
First of all, if we quote from specification it's not fair to cherry pick parts that seem to agree with our desires 😀 In Soundfont specification 2.4 you will also find the following (before your quoted part):

"MIDI CC0 Bank Select - When received, the following program change should select the MIDI program in this bank value
instead of the default bank of 0. "

and just after this:

In case of CC#32 the emphasis is on the MAY while in case of CC0 there is no MAY. So I do not understand how you could infer from this info that 'in the SoundFont specifications published by EMU, the bank select is via LSB, and not MSB.' This is simply not true (according to specification).
Moreover historical fact is that the implementers of this specification (namely E-MU and later Creative) never implemented Bank LSB in their devices. All the HW devices that used Soundfonts always used only Bank MSB addressing. So they took that 'MAY' very seriously. Bassmidi VSTi is retro oriented in the sense that it wants to emulate the behavior of the once so popular Soundbalster AWE/Live/Audugy/X-Fi series devices since most Soundfont + Midi pairs created in this era expect this behavior. Here are some for download that you can inspect how they work (Hint: They all use Bank MSB 1 to address variation tones , and expect a full GM soundfont as Capital tones at Bank MSB 0):
download/file.php?id=39958

cc0.jpg
Filename
cc0.jpg
File size
80.45 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
mma.jpg
Filename
mma.jpg
File size
74.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
msblsb.jpg
Filename
msblsb.jpg
File size
74.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

( The above pictures show the Audigy2 ZS Soundfont bank manager. The other options namely MMA and MSM+LSB also do NOT change the addressing mode, they just change how indexes are displayed! And as you can see, Banks are always addressed by MSB )

JohnK wrote on 2020-09-16, 06:11:

However, BassMidiVSTi only uses the MSB, so is limited to only 128 banks; each with up to 128 presets.

If you read the specification you can also find that 128 Banks and 128 presets are both part of the specification (regardless if Bank LSB may be used or not) :

"The WORD wPreset contains the MIDI Preset Number and the WORD wBank contains the MIDI Bank Number which apply to this preset.. […]
Show full quote

"The WORD wPreset contains the MIDI Preset Number and the WORD wBank contains the MIDI Bank Number which
apply to this preset...
The special case of a General MIDI percussion bank is handled conventionally by a wBank value of 128. If the value in either field is not a valid MIDI value of
zero through 127, or 128 for wBank,
the preset cannot be played but should be maintained."

So according to specification the wBank value is limited to 0-127 and the special value of 128 for drums. Historically you can address the normal instrument banks via Bank MSB but even theoretically adding Bank LSB support would not change the fact that only 128 + 1 banks are possible in SF2 soundfonts. In existing soundfont devices made by E-MU and Creative the special bank of 128 is always available at channel 10 (drum channel) as specified by GM and also mentioned by the above quote. Thus in these devices there is no need for full MSB+LSB addressing. Normal instrument banks are addressed by Bank MSB (0-127) and the special drum bank 128 is always available at channel 10.

However, BassMidiVSTi only uses the MSB, so is limited to only 128 banks; each with up to 128 presets. The above from the doc is clear that the LSB is used to move up a single bank (0 to 127) and the MSB to jump up 128 banks and hence 128*128=16384 banks, as stated in the SoundFont documentation. Since BassMIDIVsti is only using MSB (and using it as an LSB), it is limited to only 128 banks.

Just as the specification states, and E-MU&Creative implementations do.

To illustrate the issue further with a practical example, most GM Soundfonts have drum presets in bank 128 (ie MSB=1 & LSB=0). However, since BassMidiVsti can only set the MSB (and uses it as the LSB), you can thereby only access banks 0-127. You can not get to bank 128, so I cannot access the drum bank; except by using MIDI channel 10. However, i should be able to set any of the MIDI channels to a drum preset. And furthermore, in a Soundfont I should able to set two different MIDI channels to two different Drum presets.
Or am I using it wrong? and there is a way to set channel 1 to bank 128?

Yes, you are doing it wrong 😀 As I stated above Bank addressing is programmed exactly as implemented by existing HW devices and this is the most compatible one. No existing Soundont device uses the addressing scheme of MSB=1 & LSB=0 to access drums.
But in case of Bassmidi VSTi you can use 3 other methods to set any other channel besides channel 10 to be a drum channel. And none of them breaks compatibility with existing HW devices ( that could not do this but always use channel 10 for drums).
1. Set Midi System in Bassmidi VSTi to GS. Then you can use GS standard SysEx messages to set any channel as Drum channel. This is the hardest way so I do not recommend it, but works.
2. Set Midi System in Bassmidi VSTi to XG. Then as standard feature in XG you can set any channel to drum channel by setting Bank MSB to 127.
3. Set Midi System in Bassmidi VSTi to GM2. Then as standard feature in GM2 you can set any channel to drum channel by setting Bank MSB to 120.
That's it 😀

( You can set Midi System in Bassmidi VSTi 2 ways. On one hand it is exposed as a standard VST parameter so you can set it in your DAW, or the other hand you can right click the first aid like 'Reset' button on the right hand side of the interface and select your desired Midi System.)

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2020-09-21, 20:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1105 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-16, 05:47:
Hi, First of all it would have been much better if instead of showing the game screen (that is totally irrelevant debugging this […]
Show full quote

Hi, First of all it would have been much better if instead of showing the game screen (that is totally irrelevant debugging this problem) you had shown FSMP and SC-VA instrument page.
But back to the point: Most likely the problem is that you have enabled Main menu -> Instruments -> Use patch info for capital tone fallback option.
You should disable it for this game. Also make sure that Main menu -> SysEx Options -> Enable SysEx from Midi in is enabled (it is by default).
The problem is that TFX is one of the few games that actually uses GS specific SysEx messages to set drum channels other than channel 10 ( channels 2,3,5 used as Drum channel sometimes). And it also tries to use program 117 on channel 5 while channel 5 is set to be a drum channel. Unfortunately no such Drum program exists in any of the Sound Canvas generation. So FSMP when detects this and 'Use patch info for capital tone fallback' option is enabled sends a program change 0 message to set default. But mysteriously this sets piano sound on SC-VA while the interface shows correctly STANDARD-1 Drum set.
Since not using 'Use patch info for capital tone fallback' option seems has no side effect it's the simplest workaround. I have uploaded a video illustrating the above:
https://youtu.be/MWk2Bo0Raio

Thank you very much for your rapid reply! I can finally heard normal drum sound of MIDI in FSMP during TFX playing.But By following your tutorial,It is impossible to set any EFX Effect in SCVA.I found that as soon as TFX was executed in dosbox, It set any EFX Effect value which I has set before to thru.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ja3oatq9vek8607/ban … 41-782.avi?dl=0
(Although I have set "Reverb" EFX Effect in SCVA But It set to "thru" EFX Effect by force as soon as TFX was executed in 0:42)
I really want to keep "Reverb" EFX Effect until I manually quit FSMP, dont want EFX Effect to be initialized(thru) since TFX or Any games to be executed in dosbox or windows.
I'm sorry for requesting more solution.But Is there any workaround to heard normal MIDI sound of TFX with SCVA's Reverb EFX Effect which I have set before in FSMP?

Reply 1106 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bshi02 wrote on 2020-09-16, 14:19:
Thank you very much for your rapid reply! I can finally heard normal drum sound of MIDI in FSMP during TFX playing.But By follow […]
Show full quote

Thank you very much for your rapid reply! I can finally heard normal drum sound of MIDI in FSMP during TFX playing.But By following your tutorial,It is impossible to set any EFX Effect in SCVA.I found that as soon as TFX was executed in dosbox, It set any EFX Effect value which I has set before to thru.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ja3oatq9vek8607/ban … 41-782.avi?dl=0
(Although I have set "Reverb" EFX Effect in SCVA But It set to "thru" EFX Effect by force as soon as TFX was executed in 0:42)
I really want to keep "Reverb" EFX Effect until I manually quit FSMP, dont want EFX Effect to be initialized(thru) since TFX or Any games to be executed in dosbox or windows.
I'm sorry for requesting more solution.But Is there any workaround to heard normal MIDI sound of TFX with SCVA's Reverb EFX Effect which I have set before in FSMP?

Hi, the problem is that TFX at start sends a GS Reset SysEx message to set a known initial starting state. But as a consequence your custom settings are also set to default. A workaround could be to disable 'Eanble SysEx from Midi-In' but as you have experienced this also disables proper drum configuration in case of this game. In other games using GM/GS this is not a problem since they do not use SysEx messages to configure drums/instruments. Unfortunately this game is the exception. You cannot enable and disable SysEx messages at the same time (it would result in the end of the universe 😀 ). But this is no different in case of SAVIHost. You will see the same result.
As a workaround you can set the desired effect manually after game has already sent GS reset.

Reply 1107 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-16, 15:01:

Hi, the problem is that TFX at start sends a GS Reset SysEx message to set a known initial starting state. But as a consequence your custom settings are also set to default. A workaround could be to disable 'Eanble SysEx from Midi-In' but as you have experienced this also disables proper drum configuration in case of this game. In other games using GM/GS this is not a problem since they do not use SysEx messages to configure drums/instruments. Unfortunately this game is the exception. You cannot enable and disable SysEx messages at the same time (it would result in the end of the universe 😀 ). But this is no different in case of SAVIHost. You will see the same result.
As a workaround you can set the desired effect manually after game has already sent GS reset.

Thank you very much for your reply.It seems that I can set "Reverb" EFX effect manually after TFX game have started.But It is very hassle task and very inconvenient to set manually whole of 16 "EFX ON/OFF PART" and appropriate parameters' value separately in order to enable desired EFX effect each time TFX have started in dosbox.
In order to make less time-consuming and convenient way, I tried to save VSTi plugin settings of "Reverb" EFX effect in FSMP and loaded this EFX effect setting after TFX game have started.
But As you can confirmed from below dropbox link, Midi sound become weird.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xldpf30w9o2cjkx/ban … 56-966.avi?dl=0
(Midi sound became weird after "Reverb" effect have loaded in 02:03)

Should I manually set whole of 16 "EFX ON/OFF PART" separately in "Reverb" EFX effect every each time TFX game start in dosbox?
Is there any workaround which is more convenient and take less time to successfully enable "Reverb" EFX effect during TFX gameplay?

Reply 1108 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bshi02 wrote on 2020-09-17, 04:47:

...But As you can confirmed from below dropbox link, Midi sound become weird.

That's because saved settings file contains the whole configuration of SC-VA plugin including instruments etc. not only your effect settings. So when you load settings back you also override the current instruments with the ones contained in the settings file. Your only chance is to save settings early (but when reset SysEx is already sent ) and load it when the given part of the game still have not sent its instrument configuration. So e.g. save settings at the intro and load it next time while the intro still runs. Then the intro itself may sound bad (so just skip it), but later parts of the game should sound correct.

Reply 1109 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-17, 07:10:

That's because saved settings file contains the whole configuration of SC-VA plugin including instruments etc. not only your effect settings. So when you load settings back you also override the current instruments with the ones contained in the settings file. Your only chance is to save settings early (but when reset SysEx is already sent ) and load it when the given part of the game still have not sent its instrument configuration. So e.g. save settings at the intro and load it next time while the intro still runs. Then the intro itself may sound bad (so just skip it), but later parts of the game should sound correct.

Thank you very much for your reply.I tried to set Reverb EFX effect and save its setting at the intro and quit TFX game,then execute it again in dosbox, load previous saved setting while the intro still runs.
But As you can confirm from below link,It(save its setting at the intro and load previous setting while the intro still runs in the next TFX play) also sound very weird music...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/llre42lqw4shl58/ban … 01-287.avi?dl=0

Reply 1110 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bshi02 wrote on 2020-09-17, 11:17:

Thank you very much for your reply.I tried to set Reverb EFX effect and save its setting at the intro and quit TFX game,then execute it again in dosbox, load previous saved setting while the intro still runs.
But As you can confirm from below link,It(save its setting at the intro and load previous setting while the intro still runs in the next TFX play) also sound very weird music...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/llre42lqw4shl58/ban … 01-287.avi?dl=0

Then let's try another approach. Send the effect type/enable SysEx messages real time with Midi Player. These are the SysEx messages that enable EFX on all channels and set EFX type to reverb (If you want further modifications you can find the necessary info in SC-VA's user manual):

F0 41 10 42 12 40 41 22 01 5C F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 42 22 01 5B F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 43 22 01 5A F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 44 22 01 59 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 45 22 01 58 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 46 22 01 57 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 47 22 01 56 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 48 22 01 55 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 49 22 01 54 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4A 22 01 53 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4B 22 01 52 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4C 22 01 51 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4D 22 01 50 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4E 22 01 4F F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4F 22 01 4E F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 40 22 01 5D F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 03 00 01 55 67 F7

I have also made a video about necessary steps:
https://youtu.be/PhDyEdqLpvw

@Edit: If you are satisfied with the result you can also save the above messages to a standard .syx file (e.g. SC-VA_Reverb.sysx) and select it just like the other sysx files in the 'Select/Send SysEx' dialog. This way you can also use multiple variants.

Reply 1111 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-17, 13:11:
Then let's try another approach. Send the effect type/enable SysEx messages real time with Midi Player. These are the SysEx mess […]
Show full quote

Then let's try another approach. Send the effect type/enable SysEx messages real time with Midi Player. These are the SysEx messages that enable EFX on all channels and set EFX type to reverb (If you want further modifications you can find the necessary info in SC-VA's user manual):

F0 41 10 42 12 40 41 22 01 5C F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 42 22 01 5B F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 43 22 01 5A F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 44 22 01 59 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 45 22 01 58 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 46 22 01 57 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 47 22 01 56 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 48 22 01 55 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 49 22 01 54 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4A 22 01 53 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4B 22 01 52 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4C 22 01 51 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4D 22 01 50 F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4E 22 01 4F F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 4F 22 01 4E F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 40 22 01 5D F7
F0 41 10 42 12 40 03 00 01 55 67 F7

I have also made a video about necessary steps:
https://youtu.be/PhDyEdqLpvw

@Edit: If you are satisfied with the result you can also save the above messages to a standard .syx file (e.g. SC-VA_Reverb.sysx) and select it just like the other sysx files in the 'Select/Send SysEx' dialog. This way you can also use multiple variants.

Thank you very much for finally solving this problem!!
I can't even imagine that I can manipulate all of SCVA's setting with hex code.Although It is impossible for me to make my own hex code which is able to manipulate any SCVA's setting as I want, But I narrowly convert your hex code into sysx file with MIDI-OX. It seems that this created sysx file works very well and I can finally heard awesome TFX music with decent Reverb Effect during gameplay.

By the way,I have another game(Power dolls2 for Dos/v) which has minor problem(when I repeat completing a mission and loading other mission and completing a mission in a row in this game, it suddenly sound jarring noise and this noise lasts until I forcibly quit dosbox and Vsthost and I even tried this game(Power dolls2) on pcem emulator but it also suddenly sound jarring noise whenever I play it for some time.
I'm very sorry for requesting another problem-solving which is trivial and I assume that it is not bug of SCVA or Vsthost(FSMP or Savihost) but is a bug of executable file itself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0x7rl49d8miu12/ban … 23-895.avi?dl=0
(You can hear jarring noise from 02:23)

You can download this problematic game(power dolls2) from below dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oss0wa3pc9oycnu/harddisk.img?dl=0

In order to enable Midi music and Sound effect ,You must modify [sblaster] line in your dosbox configuration file(dosbox.conf) as below lines.

sbtype = sb16
sbbase = 220
irq = 5
dma = 1
hdma = 5
sbmixer = true
oplmode = auto
oplemu = default
oplrate = 44100

And it is bootable img image file,So You must insert below lines into [autoexec] line in your dosbox configuration file

imgmount c harddisk.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,32,2,640
boot -l c

I think that it would be impossible to fix this problem,But I want to know why this jarring noise suddenly come up whenever I play this game for some time.

Reply 1112 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bshi02 wrote on 2020-09-18, 06:16:

...I think that it would be impossible to fix this problem,But I want to know why this jarring noise suddenly come up whenever I play this game for some time.

Sorry , but I do not have much free time so I cannot help you currently with this problem.
(I could not identify based on your video if it's really a noise or intended effect anyway 😀 )

Reply 1113 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-18, 08:34:

Sorry , but I do not have much free time so I cannot help you currently with this problem.
(I could not identify based on your video if it's really a noise or intended effect anyway 😀 )

Okay.I understand your rejection. It will be very time-consuming process if you intend to dig into this problem.
and It is not intended effect.You can compare Midi music begin at 00:47 with 02:15. They are both same music excepting for jarring noise which can be heard from 02:23.

Reply 1114 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bshi02 wrote on 2020-09-18, 09:18:
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-18, 08:34:

Okay.I understand your rejection. It will be very time-consuming process if you intend to dig into this problem.
and It is not intended effect.You can compare Midi music begin at 00:47 with 02:15. They are both same music excepting for jarring noise which can be heard from 02:23.

If you are really interested in what causes that unwanted effect/noise you can inspect it by muting channels from 1 to 16 either in Midi Player or in SC-VA. And when you find it you can keep that channel muted.

Reply 1115 of 1690, by bshi02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-09-18, 10:44:

If you are really interested in what causes that unwanted effect/noise you can inspect it by muting channels from 1 to 16 either in Midi Player or in SC-VA. And when you find it you can keep that channel muted.

I found that unwanted effect( jarring noise) come from channel 2 whenever I play this game for some time. Unwanted effect blend with ordinary sound in channel 2. and Unwanted effect lasts until I sends custom SysEx(GM_ON.syx or GS_ON.syx) or push "GS Rest/GM2 SYSTEM ON" button. But I am incapable of analyzing or debugging it in order to find culprit of this problem.

Reply 1116 of 1690, by DOSShark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone!
@ Falcosoft thanks for your marvelous piece of Software!
I'd like to ask a question, maybe make this a feature request, if it doesn't exist:

I know you can load multiple soundfonts at the same time. What i'm trying to achieve is something like an instrument mapper.
I would like to tell your player to use soundfont x as basesoundfont and load another soundfont to replace,lets say the distortion guitar, from my basesoundfont with the one i loaded after it. And just this instrument. For all incoming midi signals.

Is this already possible? If so please enlighten me! If not, could i somehow persuade you to include this?

Thanks for your time.

Reply 1117 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DOSShark wrote on 2020-09-19, 14:07:
Hello Everyone! @ Falcosoft thanks for your marvelous piece of Software! I'd like to ask a question, maybe make this a feature […]
Show full quote

Hello Everyone!
@ Falcosoft thanks for your marvelous piece of Software!
I'd like to ask a question, maybe make this a feature request, if it doesn't exist:

I know you can load multiple soundfonts at the same time. What i'm trying to achieve is something like an instrument mapper.
I would like to tell your player to use soundfont x as basesoundfont and load another soundfont to replace,lets say the distortion guitar, from my basesoundfont with the one i loaded after it. And just this instrument. For all incoming midi signals.

Is this already possible? If so please enlighten me! If not, could i somehow persuade you to include this?

Thanks for your time.

It's already possible but maybe you need to edit your replacement soundfont (e.g with Polyphone).
1. Load a full GM soundfont as Default Soundfont.
2. Make sure your 'replacement' soundfont has the guitar preset at bank 0. Then load your replacement soundfont as additional soundfont and set it Bank to be 0. Make sure 'Use Bank LSB' is NOT selected!
Any soundfont presets that you place at Bank 0 in your replacement soundfont will override the same numbered presets in default soundfont.

If you want to use single instruments I recommend SFZ soundfonts instead which can only contain 1 instrument anyway. In this case on the interface you can set the Preset instead of the Bank where you want to place it.
There is no plan to add a more complicated instrument mapping interface.

Reply 1119 of 1690, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Small feature request i guess, but it would be nice if it was possible to deregister FSMP as the keyboard media keys' handler in the OS, so that i could control an external player sending MIDI to it instead. I have a feeling that this might already be implemented but i can't find it for the life of me 🤣