VOGONS

Reply 1140 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-14, 03:06:

HI Falconsoft, not sure if this has been reported before, but playing a midi track for many hours will eventually crash the X-Fi and/or computer with Win7. Not sure if a crash in the VSTI plugin or Midi Player.

Hi,
No, it has not been reported and I do not think it is a general problem. I have not met this problem myself so far, yet I have used the player for many hours even on Win7.
So overall I do not think the player itself can crash the system but it is easy to check:
Play the same Midi for the same time using a standard Midi output port like MS GM/GS Soft synth.
Then you can also try Bassmidi with a soundfont and also a different VSTi plugin.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1141 of 1690, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi.
I have used the 64bit version of the midi player and I like it.
I am an old fan of XGEDIT 95 and am waiting for someone to create a successor inspired by it.
I use windows 10 with VirtualMIDISynth to load my soundfonts one of which is a Yamaha soundfont.
unfortunately xgedit 95 crashes.

Reply 1142 of 1690, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a Yamaha XG vst floating around the net that works really well with FSMP. I suggest you check that out. It's probably better than the SoundFont you're using.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 1143 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2020-12-23, 04:22:
Hi. I have used the 64bit version of the midi player and I like it. I am an old fan of XGEDIT 95 and am waiting for someone to c […]
Show full quote

Hi.
I have used the 64bit version of the midi player and I like it.
I am an old fan of XGEDIT 95 and am waiting for someone to create a successor inspired by it.
I use windows 10 with VirtualMIDISynth to load my soundfonts one of which is a Yamaha soundfont.
unfortunately xgedit 95 crashes.

t9999clint is right. You can use XGEDIT with Midi Player + S-YXG50 VSTi plugin. You should use LoopMidi or similar virtual Midi cable to attach XGEDIT to Midi Player (That is select the same LoopMidi virtual port as Midi out in XGEDIT as Midi In port in Midi Player)

xgedit_fsmp.jpg
Filename
xgedit_fsmp.jpg
File size
443.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

You can get the VSTi plugin from here:
https://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/
And LoopMidi from here:
https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

And be aware that XG compatible SF2 soundfonts even in theory are not possible. I have written about the reasons many times. Here is one explanation:
https://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=19092.ms … 33792#msg133792

Reply 1144 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
As a Christmas gift the new version 5.8 of FSMP is finally released.

version 5.8

1. Added 3 different virtual piano octave numbering options to compatibility settings.
2. Added 'Register Global Multimedia Keys' option to compatibility settings.
3. Added Midi system (GM/GS/XG etc.) info to play list's last info column.
4. Added SMPTE timing display instead of irrelevant PPQN value in case of SMPTE based Midi files.
5. Added disable Midi track option to Event viewer/Debugger next to track selection control.
6. Added save hexadecimal string as SysEx option to Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog.
7. Added YES/NO buttons to warning dialog about running multiple hidden instances with /tray option.
8. Fixed division be zero in case of start/stop/clock messages enabled option and lower than 24 PPQN resolution Midi files.
9. Improved auto detection for MS base/extended dual authored Midi files.
10. Other minor fixes and enhancements.

http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

Reply 1145 of 1690, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Falconsoft, I don't have much need of these new features myself, but FSMP is one of the most useful bits of software I have come across, it has made retro gaming with midi much more fun and better!

Reply 1146 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-24, 00:29:

Thanks Falconsoft, I don't have much need of these new features myself, but FSMP is one of the most useful bits of software I have come across, it has made retro gaming with midi much more fun and better!

Thanks for your kind words 😀
What about your Win 7 crash issue? Could you reproduce it with a selected standard Midi out port?

Reply 1147 of 1690, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-12-24, 01:43:
kolderman wrote on 2020-12-24, 00:29:

Thanks for your kind words 😀
What about your Win 7 crash issue? Could you reproduce it with a selected standard Midi out port?

I may have time to test that during the holidays. I have a feeling it is probably one of the plugins crashing.

Reply 1148 of 1690, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems the MUNT VSTi bundled with the 32-bit version is actually 64-bit and won't load. Intentional?

Scratch that, it's just be being stupid.

However, this seems to be a valid concern:

The x64 version and x86 version of the software seem to share all global options, so you can't configure them separately (ie. configure 32-bit version for Yamaha soft synth and configure 64-bit version for use with large size SF2s using VirtualMIDISynth). Whenever I change the settings of one the other also changes? Is this intentional? If so, is it possible to save setting presets and launch the program with one?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1149 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-24, 09:43:
It seems the MUNT VSTi bundled with the 32-bit version is actually 64-bit and won't load. Intentional? […]
Show full quote

It seems the MUNT VSTi bundled with the 32-bit version is actually 64-bit and won't load. Intentional?

Scratch that, it's just be being stupid.

However, this seems to be a valid concern:

The x64 version and x86 version of the software seem to share all global options, so you can't configure them separately (ie. configure 32-bit version for Yamaha soft synth and configure 64-bit version for use with large size SF2s using VirtualMIDISynth). Whenever I change the settings of one the other also changes? Is this intentional? If so, is it possible to save setting presets and launch the program with one?

1. x86 and x64 versions only share options if you use the registry for storing settings (Main menu -> Storage of Settings). And yes, it's intentional. If you want per instance configurations (regardless it's x86 and x64 or more instances with the same bitness) you should use the 'Store Settings in INI file' option. Then settings are stored in midiplayer.ini in the same directory where midiplayer.exe is.
2. Also there are configuration presets (Main menu -> Configuration Presets) that are also per instance based even if you use the registry globally for both x86 and x64 (e.g. for using the same play list for both). Configuration presets can be loaded from command line with with /preset option and
e.g. 'c:\x86\midiplayer.exe /preset 1' and 'c:\x64\midiplayer.exe /preset 1' loads different presets , one for the x86 and another one for the x64 version since presets are also stored in per instance based (local 'Preset' directory). Presets include soundfont setting, VST settings, anything Midi configuration related except playlist, player position etc.

More info about configuration presets if you have missed it:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

By the way FSMP can handle large soundfonts by itself, you do not need VirtualMIDISynth for this 😀

Reply 1151 of 1690, by Daemonrunner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What would be the best settings for simultaneous SC-88 and SC-55 "authentic music" using Sound Canvas VA?

Do I put the Sound Canvas VA in SC-88 (or even SC-88Pro) Mode, use the All button within SCVA and use Capitol Tone Fallback set to use the SC-55 Patch Names? Or is it best just to setup various loopMidi outputs for each of the SCVA modes linked to multiple instances of the Midi Player with the various Tone Fallback settings set for the various SCVA setting (SC-55 patch names for 55 Mode, SC-88 patch names for 88 mode, etc.).

I know for games like Duke Nukem, some tracks were done with an SC-88 while most were composed with the SC-55.

I primarily use it for DosBox and SCUMMVM - though sometimes I play a midi file for fun.

For Munt, should I also set the patch names to MT-32 and Capitol Tone Fallback in the Instrument settings?

Also, should Use SysEx for Volume/Balance be checked at all when using a VST, or is that solely for physical external sources?

Thanks!

Reply 1152 of 1690, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daemonrunner wrote on 2020-12-31, 20:27:

What would be the best settings for simultaneous SC-88 and SC-55 "authentic music" using Sound Canvas VA?

These are two different sounding synths. When you want to get SC-55 sound, set SCVA to that mode. When you want SC-88 sound, then use that mode.

Reply 1153 of 1690, by Daemonrunner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
realnc wrote on 2021-01-01, 00:02:

These are two different sounding synths. When you want to get SC-55 sound, set SCVA to that mode. When you want SC-88 sound, then use that mode.

That's what I thought. Though many say the SC-88 used SC-55 sounds, but I am guessing that doesn't apply to SCVA and only applies to the actual hardware.

Reply 1154 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do I put the Sound Canvas VA in SC-88 (or even SC-88Pro) Mode, use the All button within SCVA and use Capitol Tone Fallback set to use the SC-55 Patch Names? Or is it best just to setup various loopMidi outputs for each of the SCVA modes linked to multiple instances of the Midi Player with the various Tone Fallback settings set for the various SCVA setting (SC-55 patch names for 55 Mode, SC-88 patch names for 88 mode, etc.).

Thanks!

You definitely should not use multiple instances of Midi player since there are configuration presets that are much more versatile. You can even change presets with different SCVA modes from DOS or DosBox bt sending SysEx messages.
More Info:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRyPjvbDkvg

For Munt, should I also set the patch names to MT-32 and Capitol Tone Fallback in the Instrument settings?

You should set patch names to MT-32 to see proper default instrument names but settings Capital Tone Fallback for Munt absolutely does not make any sense. Even in the best case it will not do anything meaningful.

Also, should Use SysEx for Volume/Balance be checked at all when using a VST, or is that solely for physical external sources?

Yes, even if not solely but it is mainly for external synths. But it can be useful even for VSTi plugins and Bassmidi with soundfonts since contrary to normal volume settings it changes the pre-mixed vulume so it can prevent clipping in case of too loud plugins (like S-YXG50). You can see the difference on the display of volume bars. SysEx volume messages changes the levels while normal volume does not.

Reply 1156 of 1690, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daemonrunner wrote on 2021-01-01, 02:57:

That's what I thought. Though many say the SC-88 used SC-55 sounds, but I am guessing that doesn't apply to SCVA and only applies to the actual hardware.

The instruments of the SC-88 that are common with the SC-55 sound anywhere from identical to very similar . Roland did change some things. That's why the SC-88 has an SC-55 mapping that switches to the unaltered versions of those instruments.

Note that the SC-55 mapping uses the instruments from the SC-55 MKII, which again has some instruments that are different to the first SC-55 model. This is also true for SC-VA. The SC-55 mode uses the sounds from the SC-55 MKII.

Overall though, yes, the SC-88 and SC-55 MKII do sound very similar. But since you're after the best way to get the most authentic sound possible, then using SC-55 mode to get the unaltered versions of the SC-55 instruments is how you'd do that.

I have attached two short samples. SC-88 in SC-55 mode, and SC-88 playing the same music. They sound similar, but the differences are clear.

Attachments

• Filename
    sc55map.ogg
    File size
    338.81 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File comment
    SC-88 in SC-55 mode
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    sc88.ogg
    File size
    341.9 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File comment
    SC-88
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1157 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote on 2021-01-01, 14:49:

I think playlist times need a refresh when opening FSMP.

I do not think so since playlist times are always calculated real time (they are not loaded back from storage).

Reply 1158 of 1690, by Daemonrunner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
realnc wrote on 2021-01-01, 18:25:
The instruments of the SC-88 that are common with the SC-55 sound anywhere from identical to very similar . Roland did change so […]
Show full quote

The instruments of the SC-88 that are common with the SC-55 sound anywhere from identical to very similar . Roland did change some things. That's why the SC-88 has an SC-55 mapping that switches to the unaltered versions of those instruments.

Note that the SC-55 mapping uses the instruments from the SC-55 MKII, which again has some instruments that are different to the first SC-55 model. This is also true for SC-VA. The SC-55 mode uses the sounds from the SC-55 MKII.

Overall though, yes, the SC-88 and SC-55 MKII do sound very similar. But since you're after the best way to get the most authentic sound possible, then using SC-55 mode to get the unaltered versions of the SC-55 instruments is how you'd do that.

I have attached two short samples. SC-88 in SC-55 mode, and SC-88 playing the same music. They sound similar, but the differences are clear.

Interesting, I didn't realize SCVA used the MkII sounds for it's 55 mode. Does it also have the increased polyphony of the MkII for the 55 mode?

Reply 1159 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Daemonrunner wrote on 2021-01-01, 19:22:

Interesting, I didn't realize SCVA used the MkII sounds for it's 55 mode. Does it also have the increased polyphony of the MkII for the 55 mode?

SC-VA has 64 voice polyphony independently from the selected mode (2 times the polyphony of SC-55 mkII). In this respect it is similar to SC-8820 that SC-VA emulates.