VOGONS

Reply 500 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not easy to tell how good it works because those Konami files were made for SC-88Pro

Yes, but very few midi files were made specially for Bassmidi/soundfonts, yet GM/GS files produce the best results with soundfonts 😀

The MIDI Channels Viewer only displays the first 16 channels...

I have written that all ports are combined so on channels viewer you actually can see all ports/channels together.

but the Event Debugger lists all 32 channels

I don't see 32 channels there, but 35 tracks 😀
I don't think dual port midi files are different from standard 1 port files that use more tracks than channels( and these are common). So there are no true 32 channels but more than 1 track that use the same channel from the available 16. But as I said it's not specific for these dual port midi files, many standard midi files use more than one track for one channel. I think the only difference is the port preference meta event. If you can please check that your other dual port files also use these meta events on the tracks. In the event debugger select Filters->All Non-Channel Events. At the beginning of each track you should see a 'Port pref.' meta event (if dual-port files work the way as I think).

Edit:
Or you can send me some more files for checking.
I have also re-uploaded 4.9 test since seeking was buggy (hanging notes on 16+ channels)

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 501 of 1675, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Look at my edited post above. […]
Show full quote

Interesting. Have you posted a bug report about this on the ScummVM forums? You should do so if not.

Look at my edited post above.

Do you know, is there a way to set this value to 64 if I'm using savi host for SCVA? :

Man-biker has used it:

Untitled-1.png

Also, do the instructions you gave for FSMP also apply to Munt VSTi?:

I don't really understand what you exactly mean but:
1. Munt(Vsti) is not affected at all either in MT32 or GM mode. (These controllers are not defined).
2. Of course you can do similar controller modifications with FSMP when you set its output to Munt Vsti.

So, all I need to do is select Control Change, 075: Sound Ctrl 6, press Ok, and that's it?

ryn34pj.png

Reply 502 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes. Since SC-VA's CC# 75 default is already 64 when it's initialized you do not have to set it, you only have to prevent ScummVM to reset it to 0. And that's what the filter does.
If you are a perfectionist you should also filter CC# 76-78. 😀

Reply 504 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Me: Ok, I think I have found the problem. ScummVM/Larry6 sets CC#75 to 0 on all channels. This controller is undefined in GM, bu […]
Show full quote

Me:
Ok, I think I have found the problem. ScummVM/Larry6 sets CC#75 to 0 on all channels. This controller is undefined in GM, but on GS devices it controls 'decay time' and its default is 64. So you should filter Controller 75 or set it to default 64 after larry/scummvm sets it to 0.
If you use FSMP:
1. Enable Main menu-> compatibility settings->'apply controls to midi in'
2. Select channel 10.
3. Set the 'User' controller number to 75.
4. Set it to 64, or press a reset.
5. Press the little 'force manul mode' button beside the 'User' controller.
6. Repeat 2-5 on all channels where you experience this cutoff effect.

Reply 505 of 1675, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Me: Ok, I think I have found the problem. ScummVM/Larry6 sets CC#75 to 0 on all channels. This controller is undefined in GM, bu […]
Show full quote

Me:
Ok, I think I have found the problem. ScummVM/Larry6 sets CC#75 to 0 on all channels. This controller is undefined in GM, but on GS devices it controls 'decay time' and its default is 64. So you should filter Controller 75 or set it to default 64 after larry/scummvm sets it to 0.
If you use FSMP:
2. Select channel 10.

I have problems with 6 step, how do i know which channel is cut off? I'm not an expert =)

Reply 506 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You do not have to be an expert you will hear it if there is a problem. 😀 And you can see that the knobs are set to 0 position (leftmost) instead of 64 (middle) on problematic channels. The most problematic/audible is channel 10 (drums).
But to be sure you can do it on all channels (Actually you only have to do step 5. on each channel after you have done all steps once).

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-08-03, 19:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 507 of 1675, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

You do not have to be an expert you will hear it if there is a problem. 😀 The most problematic is channel 10 (drums).
But to be sure you can do it on all channels (Actually you only have to do step 5. on each channel after you have done all steps once).

Thanks, i'll will try it =)
Also forget about stupid question - but how/where do i select channel??

Reply 508 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Directly with Channel selector Up/Down control, or with the right click popup menu of the control. I don't really believe you have never used it. It's bold and says Channel 😀

The numbers correspond the list above:

fsmp_ch75.jpg
Filename
fsmp_ch75.jpg
File size
173.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 509 of 1675, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Directly with Channel selector Up/Down control, or with the right click popup menu of the control. I don't really believe you have never used it. It's bold and says Channel 😀

The numbers correspond the list above:

fsmp_ch75.jpg

Thanks.
PS - yep, i never use it, this window also pulled up, because it clutter the screen =)

Reply 510 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's resizable vertically so you can fully hide the playlist part if you do not use it but keep the useful controls.

Reply 511 of 1675, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lukeman3000 wrote:
So, all I need to do is select Control Change, 075: Sound Ctrl 6, press Ok, and that's it? […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote:
Look at my edited post above. […]
Show full quote

Interesting. Have you posted a bug report about this on the ScummVM forums? You should do so if not.

Look at my edited post above.

Do you know, is there a way to set this value to 64 if I'm using savi host for SCVA? :

Man-biker has used it:

Untitled-1.png

Also, do the instructions you gave for FSMP also apply to Munt VSTi?:

I don't really understand what you exactly mean but:
1. Munt(Vsti) is not affected at all either in MT32 or GM mode. (These controllers are not defined).
2. Of course you can do similar controller modifications with FSMP when you set its output to Munt Vsti.

So, all I need to do is select Control Change, 075: Sound Ctrl 6, press Ok, and that's it?

ryn34pj.png

Hi Falcosoft -

When I followed these instructions, it made the Sierra logo intro of Space Quest V (and maybe other games) sound very strange. If you notice, at the end of the music score, a few notes sound pretty.. off.

So, I undid everything in these instructions, and it sounded normal again. I think I figured out the problem -- instead of the box next to "Control Change" being a check mark (which I think selects everything in the filter controllers menu), it should appear as a dark square, which I believe indicates that only some of the filter controllers are selected. So, to that end, I think one should avoid checking the box next to "Control Change" to begin with, and simply go directly into the filter controllers menu (by clicking on the 3 dots) and selecting the desired controllers, which will then automatically make the box next to "Control Change" populate with a dark square. Ctrl+left mouse can be used to select multiple controllers in the filter controllers menu.

JJgoTnd.png?1

Also, on an unrelated note, the only reason I'm using savihost instead of FSMP is because I like the minimalistic nature of savihost -- the fact that, when it launches, it's just the small GUI window of SCVA and can be minimized to the system tray. Can FSMP also do these things?

Reply 512 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First and foremost: DosBox is NOT affected. I have written:

Yet when ScummVM sends default controller values it sets these controller values to 0 on all channels. This can cause e.g. 'note cut off' bugs because of Controller 75 - Decay Time.

In your video you use DosBox. Moreover it's useful to realize that by filtering a controller you actually prevent any messages of that kind to pass. So if a game/midi file actually uses that controller the filter can cause problems. So it's not a fire and forget settings for all cases. But it does not influence the fact that what ScummVM does when it resets these controller values to 0 is simply wrong. After a reset these controllers should be at the value of 64, period. You can try it e.g. with FSMP + SC-VA that you set controller 75 to 0 and play the virtual piano by sustaining a note. You will hear what problems it can cause. But of course it is completely legitimate that a program/midi file actually wants to use a different value than 64. But the filter you have set in SAVIHost unfortunately also prevents this.

Also, on an unrelated note, the only reason I'm using savihost instead of FSMP is because I like the minimalistic nature of savihost -- the fact that, when it launches, it's just the small GUI window of SCVA and can be minimized to the system tray. Can FSMP also do these things?

FSMP is a midi player so I think it would be very strange if it would hide its player interface and would only show SC-VA's (or other plugin's) instead. FSMP also shows just a small GUI window if you want and I don't think it should be more minimalistic like this:

fsmp11.jpg
Filename
fsmp11.jpg
File size
33.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Edit:
Yes, that 'square' is important, without it SAVIHost filters all controller messages. I have actually attached MAN-biker's picture of what he did to prevent the bug. I have only tested with FSMP.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-08-05, 01:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 513 of 1675, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
First and foremost: DosBox is NOT affected. I have written: […]
Show full quote

First and foremost: DosBox is NOT affected. I have written:

Yet when ScummVM sends default controller values it sets these controller values to 0 on all channels. This can cause e.g. 'note cut off' bugs because of Controller 75 - Decay Time.

In your video you use DosBox. Moreover it's useful to realize that by filtering a controller you actually prevent any messages of that kind to pass. So if a game/midi file actually uses that controller the filter can cause problems. So it's not a fire and forget settings for all cases. But it does not influence the fact that what ScummVM does when it resets these controller values to 0 is simply wrong. After a reset these controllers should be at the value of 64, period. You can try it e.g. with FSMP + SC-VA that you set controller 75 to 0 and play the virtual piano by sustaining a note. You will hear what problems it can cause. But of course it is completely legitimate that a program/midi file actually wants to use a different value than 64. But the filter you have set unfortunately also prevents this.

FSMP is a midi player so I think it would be very strange if it would hide its player interface and would only show SC-VA's (or other plugin's) instead. FSMP also shows just a small GUI window if you want and I don't think it should be more minimalistic like this:

fsmp11.jpg

Edit:
Yes, that 'square' is important, without it SAVIHost filters all controller messages. I have actually attached MAN-biker's picture of what he did to prevent the bug. I have only tested with FSMP.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there an equivalent of Munt VSTi for Sound Canvas VA? In the sense that, Munt VSTi is dedicated to Munt and does not have the other functions of a midi player present.

8a9ovBf.png

Reply 514 of 1675, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound Canvas VA is already a VSTi. It does not need another VSTi to host it, unless you are suggesting removing the DRM laden interface from their core library, which I don't even know if it works that way any longer.

What you just posted a screen shot of was the hosted editor interface of that VST instrument. It is not a stand-alone program.

Reply 515 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I simply do not understand anymore what are we talking about: FSMP or Munt VSTi ?

is there an equivalent of Munt VSTi for Sound Canvas VA? In the sense that, Munt VSTi is dedicated to Munt and does not have the other functions of a midi player present.

???
The problem must be I'm not a native english speaker but I also do not know what you mean by the above. Munt VSTi is a VSTi plugin just like SC-VA and yes, it does not have midi player functions similarly to SC-VA.

Reply 516 of 1675, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

Sound Canvas VA is already a VSTi. It does not need another VSTi to host it, unless you are suggesting removing the DRM laden interface from their core library, which I don't even know if it works that way any longer.

What you just posted a screen shot of was the hosted editor interface of that VST instrument. It is not a stand-alone program.

Right now I'm using savihost with sound canvas va. As I'm aware, it's always been this way? I.e., having to use something like savihost with SCVA, regardless of its DRM state.

But to my knowledge, savihost doesn't have the capital tone fallback feature, so for that I'd have to use FSMP. So I was wondering if there was a lighter version of FSMP that specifically hosts SCVA (kind of like Munt VSTi I guess?) which would have this feature, or if I'd have to use the full FSMP to do this.

Or maybe it's such that I have no real idea what I'm talking about or what I'm asking for. I just like Munt VSTi and savihost because they don't contain any "superfluous" settings (such as that of a full-featured midi player) and can be minimized to the system tray (not sure yet if FSMP can do this or not).

I'm using a DOSBox frontend, D-Fend Reloaded. And whenever I launch a game from DFR, it also automatically launches either Munt VSTi or savihost (with SCVA) depending upon the game and what it's configured for. That way, the programs are not constantly running and there is no additional intervention required on the part of the user to start any of the VSTi hosts. Furthermore, they are automatically minimized to the system tray and so are very unobtrusive, which I like. Just trying to replicate these things with SCVA but also while having the advantage of capital tone fallback.

Reply 517 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was wondering if there was a lighter version of FSMP that specifically hosts SCVA (kind of like Munt VSTi I guess?)

There's a conceptual confusion here: FSMP and SAVIHost are VST Hosts. Contrary SC-VA and Munt VSTI are VST plugins.
So the above analogy is fundamentally wrong.
Moreover I do not understand why you need a 'lighter' version of FSMP. Considering its size, memory usage or starting speed it's comparable to SAVIHost, but it can do more. But you do not need to use the 'more' if you do not want to. It is as light as it can be. It would not be faster if I would remove features from it making it less versatile. You can set a fixed SC-VA profile in FSMP and use it simply as a VST host.

Reply 518 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
version 4.9 of FSMP and version 2.3 of MuntVSTi are released. The test zips are no longer available.
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

version 4.9

1. Added configuration preset loading from command line. The syntax is: -preset x where x is the preset number you specified as a postfix when you named the preset.
2. Added - minimized command line option. It can be useful when the player is used as a background midi router. Start /min in batch files also supported.
3. Added Winamp invented *.miz file support (zip compressed single midi file).
4. Added support for .zip files. Supported media files from the archive are extracted and added to playlist.
5. Added recursive file enumeration for drag&dropped folders and zip files.
6. Added limited support for rare dual port/32 channel midi files. These files only work in bassmidi output mode with soundfonts.
7. Opened/closed state of VST/VSTi plugin's window is now saved an restored.
8. Added MuntVsti 2.3.
9. Fixed startup problem with Wine if Windows version is set higher than Win XP. Now the x64 version is also supported under Wine.
10. Updated bass/bassmidi libraries to fix 2 issues: wrong default frequency detection, sinc interpolation problem with non-sse2 cpu.
11. Other minor fixes and enhancements.

@Edit:
There was a bug with startup when Appearance->Enable Themes was disabled. Now it's fixed so please re-download.

Reply 519 of 1675, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Show full quote

Me:
If you use FSMP:
2. Select channel 10.

Hi Falcosoft -

I've noticed that Midi Player does not seem to remember that I pressed "force manual mode" on any of the channels after closing and re-opening Midi Player. I've also tried saving it in my preset, but it doesn't seem to carry over. The "force manual mode" button appears to be unpressed each time I reopen the program. I'm using the most recent build (4.9).