VOGONS

Reply 580 of 1675, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been having some weird stuttering problems with my Windows 10 Gaming machine with MIDI Player. Mostly when the song starts playing, but sometimes it'll happen randomly in different parts of the song. You think I just have the buffer set too low? It might also just be my Win 10 machine acting up again.

I'm using the soundfonts here... K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
These are an updated version of what I made last month.

Also I have a question of how MIDIPlayer loads the samples, Does it just load what it needs as the file plays or does it do something different? Also what do you figure is the maximum sf2 filesize that midiplayer can take before things get unstable? (not looking for an exact number, just a estimate)

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 581 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this stuttering version specific or affects all versions of the player?
There are 3 possible strategies in FSMP regarding sample loading:
1. By default all samples are loaded when they are needed. It works fairly well in case of average sized soundfonts and resource friendly.
2. In Device Settings->Bassmidi section you can enable the 'Preload Soundfonts' option. In this case all samples are pre-loaded into memory (and decompressed if needed) right when you apply the settings. Maybe you can try this option. It can help if the stuttering is sample loading related. Also compressed soundfonts are more prone to stuttering issues since in case of the default settings decompression has to be made real-time.
3. You can enable the 'Map soundfonts into memory' option. This basically makes the soudfonts to be memory mapped files which can be more optimal than standard file-based handling. But it only works in case of non-compressed samples.

There is no such SF2 file size that makes the player 'unstable'. The 32 bit version (like other 32 bit processes in Windows*) can only handle 2 GB of memory including soundfonts. The 64 bit version has no such limit.
* You can turn on the Large Address Aware flag in 32 bit exe files. This makes 32 bit processes to handle up to 4GB of memory on 64 bit Operating Systems.

Edit:
I could reproduce the stuttering problem at first use with your ogg compressed guitar soundfont. It can be cured by using 'Preload Soundfonts' but pre-loading/decompressing your soundfont requires about half a minute on my PC... Maybe this big soundfonts (1.3 GB) are not the best candidate for real-time loading/decompressing. Also I would like to mention that I used the '-q 10' parameter when I compressed my reality soundfont with oggenc2.exe. Since I have never experienced such problems, you can try to compress your soundfonts with this parameter.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 582 of 1675, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

I could reproduce the stuttering problem at first use with your ogg compressed guitar soundfont. It can be cured by using 'Preload Soundfonts' but pre-loading/decompressing your soundfont requires about half a minute on my PC... Maybe this big soundfonts (1.3 GB) are not the best candidate for real-time loading/decompressing. Also I would like to mention that I used the '-q 10' parameter when I compressed my reality soundfont with oggenc2.exe. Since I have never experienced such problems, you can try to compress your soundfonts with this parameter.

This effected every version I've tested (4.0-5.11 32bit).
Sorry for the late response, haven't had time to recompile my sf2pack program with the new options until now.
Yeah the higher quality encode fixed it (q -10). That's really weird, any idea why the Bass libraries are choking on the default oggenc quality setting?

Also after further testing, I found that 50% of the skipping WAS because of my weird M-Audio drivers. I fixed that but it was still skipping. I was also able to reproduce this on my core i5 ultrabook. It skips even more than my gaming rig, even with the files uncompressed, setting "map soundfonts to memory" fixes it though, I'm guessing it's a cpu resource limit as that laptop is S L O W. I've tried setting it to "preload soundfonts" but it hits the 32bit mem limit and crashes, haven't tried the 64bit version yet cause some of the vst plugins I like only 32bit and I want to be able to switch them on and off through sysex from my old 400MHZ K6-2+.
This is my win98/DOS computer with the i5 velcoro'd to the side for midi emulation and to control the RGB lights... https://youtu.be/XkR2pV2bpoI

Also I'm 90% done filming a overall feature tutorial for MIDIPlayer. I covered how to stack soundfonts, how to configure VST files to autoload with their settings, cc94 for Amplitube 3 (Free), and how to set presets and switch to them using sysex.
Any other advanced features you think I should try to tackle?

Thanks again for all your help.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 583 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried setting it to "preload soundfonts" but it hits the 32bit mem limit and crashes...

Maybe you can try this:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/la … s-aware.112556/

As I have written above you can enable the large address aware flag in 32 bit executable files. The 32 bit version of FSMP supports pointers above 0x7FFFFFFF so it works for me on 64 bit Win7/10 , but not fully tested (since the 64 bit version is more suitable for solving memory limit problems).

Edit: I cannot guarantee that all the VST(i) plugins you use are large address compatible!

Reply 584 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Off
DOOM guitar oriented midi songs (Soundfont + VST effect)
https://youtu.be/WrCKxR3jhrg

Reply 585 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
version 5.2 of FSMP is released. The test zips are no longer available.
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

version 5.2

1. Added minimize to tray option. It can be especially useful when using emulators in fullscreen mode and changing presets remotely.
2. Added 'folder.sf2' support (folder wide real time loaded soundfont). Bank postfix can be used the same way as in case of midi + sf2 pairs.
3. Added SimpleGain VST 1.2 with Balance and Reverse Stereo options.
4. Optimized handling and loading time of big Zip/Miz and Xmi files.
5. The priority of the built-in Equalizer has been set to 5 to provide greater flexibility.
6. Fixed Use Bank LSB value saving problem in Config Dialog.
7. Fixed Reverb/Chorus effect level settings not working for GS devices (SC-VA included) if type is set to 'Default'.
8. Fixed AV error at startup when 'Always on Top' is set and FSMP is closed in this state.
9. Fixed bad display color for 'Loop detected' label if font color is changed in Appearance menu.
10. Other minor fixes and enhancements.

Reply 586 of 1675, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watching this software come all the way it has was quite the thing, you've done a phenomenal job with it.

One request: Have you considered integrating Darron Broad's Freq Monster 801 and giving the player chiptune support? (AFAIK it's not in the software so far?)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 587 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Watching this software come all the way it has was quite the thing, you've done a phenomenal job with it.

Thanks.

One request: Have you considered integrating Darron Broad's Freq Monster 801 and giving the player chiptune support? (AFAIK it's not in the software so far?)

As far as I can tell there is no possibility of integrating Darron Broad's Freq Monster 801. It's a standalone executable and I can not find any libraries/interfaces I could use. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply 589 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BOBAH1 wrote:

interesting. i want download.

You can find download links here:
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

Reply 590 of 1675, by Bakuredo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, good job for this player, the most complete I've ever seen (ignore Sysex in files, force manual control and more !)

It's works perfectly with latest Wine in Solus :

1514560534-midiplayer5.png

S-YXG50 VST works but no SC-VA VSTi, no idea if it's Wine or not.

Reply 591 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's works perfectly with latest Wine in Solus :

I would not say it's perfect, it desperately needs a font pack with an Arial like font 😀

S-YXG50 VST works but no SC-VA VSTi, no idea if it's Wine or not.

It can be a Wine + SC-VA authorization component problem. The situation is similar in WinXP. You can use SC-VA but only WITHOUT installation. You should install SC-VA in an other OS, and under Wine use only the folder where the already installed SC-VA instance can be found. And in FSMP browse to the folder and select SOUND Canvas VA.dll. I have tried it and it works but in the worst case you have to wait a couple of minutes while SC-VA initializes (It initializes in 2 steps: first you should wait while a dialog appears saying 'SC-VA works in trial mode' and then you should wait for the UI to appear). It works in a never ending trial period, but the 10 minute session limit is active.
Also make sure you use the bitness correct version of SOUND Canvas VA.dll. There are both 32 and 64 bit dlls installed on x64 Windows into c:\Program Files (x86)\Roland and c:\Program Files\Roland correspondingly. With the x86 version of FSMP you can only use the 32 bit version of SC-VA and vice versa.

FSMP_Wine1.jpg
Filename
FSMP_Wine1.jpg
File size
324.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also I recommend disabling advanced windowing options in Winecfg:

FSMP_Wine2.jpg
Filename
FSMP_Wine2.jpg
File size
49.88 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 592 of 1675, by Bakuredo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would not say it's perfect, it desperately needs a font pack with an Arial like font 😀

Indeed, it's looks awful without Arial font but it's works 😉

It's a Wine + SC-VA authorization component problem. The situation is similar in WinXP. You can use SC-VA but only WITHOUT installation. You should install SC-VA in an other OS, and under Wine use only the folder where the already installed SC-VA instance can be found. And in FSMP browse to the folder and select SOUND Canvas VA.dll. I have tried it and it works but in the worst case you have to wait a couple of minutes while SC-VA initializes (It initializes in 2 steps: first you should wait while a dialog appears saying 'SC-VA works in trial mode' and then you should wait for the UI to appear). It works in a never ending trial period, but the 10 minute session limit is active. .

Thank you for help ! My SC-VA works now !

1514572075-midiplayer.png

Reply 593 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I'm glad. One more little useful tip for SC-VA. Since without working authorization component it only works for 10 minutes in one session, when it stops and displays the session over dialog you should press Stop and right within 5 seconds Play again in the plugins dialog. Since FSMP does not unload stopped VST(i) plugin dlls for 5 seconds, SC-VA initialization in this case is much faster than the full/initial one and the timer resets itself also without full unloading 😀.

Reply 594 of 1675, by Bakuredo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

OK, I'm glad. One more little useful tip for SC-VA. Since without working authorization component it only works for 10 minutes in one session, when it stops and displays the session over dialog you should press Stop and right within 5 seconds Play again in the plugins dialog. Since FSMP does not unload stopped VST(i) plugin dlls for 5 seconds, SC-VA initialization in this case is much faster than the full/initial one and the timer resets itself also without full unloading 😀.

Oh my version of SC-VA seems have a working activation :

1514574827-activ.png

[EDIT]

Last edited by Bakuredo on 2017-12-29, 22:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 595 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i download 1.0.3 version with... something for activation

Ehh... OK, do not mention warez on Vogons. I just mentioned what you can do if you have an uncracked legitimate copy of SC-VA.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2017-12-29, 19:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 596 of 1675, by Bakuredo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

i download 1.0.3 version with... something for activation

Ehh... OK, do not mention warez on Vogons. I just mentioned what you can do if you have a legitimate copy of SC-VA.

I totally understand, thank you for help 😉

Reply 599 of 1675, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

@Off
DOOM guitar oriented midi songs (Soundfont + VST effect)
https://youtu.be/WrCKxR3jhrg

And so this sounds with Yamaha YMF-New )

Attachments

• Filename
    doom.part3.rar
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Downloads
    101 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    doom.part2.rar
    File size