Reply 600 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@James-F and citrixscu:
Thank you guys 😀

@Roland user:
What is exactly this 'Yamaha YMF-New' ? It sounds good and somewhat resembles the S-YXG50 soft synth.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 601 of 1675, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

@Roland user:
What is exactly this 'Yamaha YMF-New' ? It sounds good and somewhat resembles the S-YXG50 soft synth.

This synthesizer based on S-YXG50 with new bank of Tyros2 )
This synthesuzer not finalized , current position balancing GM bank ) as will be finalized balancing GM bank, will be creating XG and GS banks in this synthesizer)
Also will be extended DSP in synthesizer )

Attachments

• Filename
    onestop.ogg
    File size
    2.65 MiB
    Downloads
    126 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Roland User on 2018-01-14, 11:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 602 of 1675, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Examples

Attachments

• Filename
    cnim-gm-3.ogg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Downloads
    94 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    cnim-gm-2.ogg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Downloads
    112 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    cnim-intro.ogg
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    boston.ogg
    File size
    992.14 KiB
    Downloads
    116 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    05wah.ogg
    File size
    697.41 KiB
    Downloads
    93 downloads
    File license

Reply 603 of 1675, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reinstalled V5 on my P3 PC, and just wanted to chime in and let you know how much I appreciate batch recording one more time.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 604 of 1675, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcosoft
If play MIDI file in this archive - need more polyphony per synth ) what fix this ?

Attachments

• Filename
    problem.zip
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Downloads
    106 downloads
    File license

Reply 605 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remember that Munt is first and foremost an MT-32 emulator. It's not designed to play SC-88 midi files that requires so many voices. I have tested it under Bassmidi mode in FSMP and this midi requires more than 300 voice polyphony. If you play it under Munt VSTi in GM mode you should disable 32 bit floating point rendering since so much voices are too demanding. Using 16 bit integer rendering at least stops the stuttering/distortion issue. In technical terms the problem is that many notes in this midi file are played with sustain (CC# 64) enabled. These voices cannot be muted and occupy many partials of Munt. Midis designed for MT-32 never use this practice to this extent.

Reply 606 of 1675, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But, this problem not in MUNT )
This problem only in 32 bit rendering mode ) please, fix this problem in 32 bit render) My CPU i7-3770K on first machine and i7-6800K on second machine )

Reply 607 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is nothing to 'fix' here. The problem is your CPU is too weak in 32 bit rendering to play so many partials. Even an I9 would be too weak since only 1 core is used for emulation.

But, this problem not in MUNT )

In plain Munt (driver) there is only one synth with only 32 partials by default. In Munt VSTi there are 2 synths with 128 partials overall. You can also reduce the maximum partials to Munt default 32. This would also stop stuttering.

This midi uses channels 1,2 and 13,14. In plain Munt this GM/GS midi can only use channels 1 and 2 since channels 13 and 14 are not mapped (just like in a real MT-32 that only uses channels 2-10 or 1-8, 10). So only half of the partials are used in Munt driver contrary to Munt VSTi in GM mode where all 1-16 channels are mapped to the 2 internal synths.
So for an apples to apples test you should disable channels 13 and 14 in case of Munt Vsti. Use e.g. FSMP for this. You can disable channels 13 and 14 manually or you can use the MT32_GM_Mode.syx before playing your midi. This way Munt VSTi will only use channels 1 and 2 on Synth 1 the same way as the Munt driver. You will get the same result. I have tried it.

Reply 608 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
There is a new test version to try:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_53_test.zip

1. Added 'Folder.syx' support. It works similar to Folder.sf2 that is if you put a Folder.syx file into a folder all the midi files in that folder will load the syx file before playing. It can be useful in situations when only one initialization file (e.g. CM-32L-CM-64_Initial-SysEx.mid/Dune_init.mid) is provided for many files. In these situations it can be problematic to disable all kinds of resets when playing more midi files.
2. To support the above feature a new option called 'Save SysEx data from Midi' can be found in the File menu of Event Viewer/Debugger. With the help of this you can save/extract the initialization SysEx data from midi files to a syx file that can be renamed and used as a Folder.syx file.
3. Added support for native WASAPI audio output on Windows Vista/7/8/10 besides Directsound (it applies to both Bassmidi and VSTi output modes). This setting is available in the Bass part of the Device Settings dialog. With WASAPI you can achieve lower latency output that can be useful if you use FSMP also as a real time soft synth.
Some other subtle differences can also be noticed. E.g. in WASAPI output mode the 'Speaker Fill' driver level effect of Realtek HW Audio does not work.
Since Directsound is more mature the default is still Directsound even on Vista/7/8/10.

Reply 609 of 1675, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the Folder.syx support, I can't wait to try it. Is it still possible to define a specific sysex for a given MIDI file? Will this sysex have priority over the global Folder.syx?

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 610 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here my first post to this forum (after boring Falconsot so much on facebook),so Hi to everyone and excuse me for my poor english as i'm not a native speaker. Thanks you for this new release, i'm going to try as soon as possible Dune2 sound track again on my mt-32
Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 611 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kaminari wrote:

Thanks for the Folder.syx support, I can't wait to try it. Is it still possible to define a specific sysex for a given MIDI file? Will this sysex have priority over the global Folder.syx?

Yes, it is still possible. Folder.syx support is analogous to Folder.sf2 support also in this aspect. So same named syx/sf2 files have a preference over Folder.syx/Folder.sf2.

RetroGC wrote:

Here my first post to this forum (after boring Falconsot so much on facebook),so Hi to everyone and excuse me for my poor english as i'm not a native speaker. Thanks you for this new release, i'm going to try as soon as possible Dune2 sound track again on my mt-32
Aldo

Welcome to Vogons 😀

Reply 612 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roland User wrote:

And so this sounds with Yamaha YMF-New )

Any news concerning this? Btw depending on midi sometimes I prefear s-yxg 200.

Reply 613 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

1. Added 'Folder.syx' support. It works similar to Folder.sf2 that is if you put a Folder.syx file into a folder all the midi files in that folder will load the syx file before playing. It can be useful in situations when only one initialization file (e.g. CM-32L-CM-64_Initial-SysEx.mid/Dune_init.mid) is provided for many files. In these situations it can be problematic to disable all kinds of resets when playing more midi files.

HI,
this evening i've tried to record the whole soundtrack for my youtube project and i've noticed a strange reproduction concerning one of the dune 2 mt32 midifile soundtrack. If i go backward a little, reproduction is ok, but from start error's or strange way to play happens again and this happen at about 15 seconds from start. I've added the midi file (mt 32 version)
Aldo

Attachments

• Filename
    Victory Atreides.rar
    File size
    906 Bytes
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File license

Reply 614 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just the midi file itself is not so useful. It plays OK on my side. You should also attach the exact SysEx file you used and a short recording/video where the the problem can be heard.

Reply 615 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Just the midi file itself is not so useful. It plays OK on my side. You should also attach the exact SysEx file you used and a short recording/video where the the problem can be heard.

About after sec. 15 there's something wrong i think...
Aldo

Attachments

• Filename
    Victory Atreides_syx.rar
    File size
    7.04 KiB
    Downloads
    100 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    Victory_Atreides.mp3
    File size
    1010.2 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license

Reply 616 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About after sec. 15 there's something wrong i think...

Hi,
Since I do not own a real MT-32 here is the result using Munt VSTi:
https://youtu.be/Gny077Q0fHM
According to this there is really a problem on your side at about 15 sec since Munt does not produce the erratic sound. You can also test with Munt VSTi since it is included in FSMP's package.
To narrow down where the problem can be you can try the following:
Use the original included Dune_init.mid. Set the reset type in FSMP to 'No SysEx' by right clicking the Reset button and selecting it. Then play Dune_init.mid and right after this play Victory Atreides.mid. If it sounds good this way the problem can be the timing/buffering of the SysEx messages. Dune_init.mid uses about 90 ms latency between the SysEx messages so you can try to set the same value in the 'Select/Send custom SysEx' dialog of FSMP.
If with Dune_init.mid you also get the erratic sound you should ask someone with a real MT-32 what the issue can be. Vogons is the best place to ask questions like this.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-02-14, 00:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 617 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
Let me share with you all an interesting factoid about Microsoft's Basic/Extended/Full midi device 'standards'.
Many of us remember the old midi mapper of Win 3.1 (that was much more capable than any midi mapper versions of later Windows).
You could find at least 3 installed channel 'presets' called Basic setup, Extended setup and Full. Full was the usual 1-16 channel mode compatible with General Midi.
I had always selected Full and never had a problem. Extended was reduced to channels 1-10 and Basic to channels 13-16. More info:
ftp://wow1.tv/zoltrix/ZoltrixUS_Backup/Multim … und/MMQUEST.HTM
Unfortunately Basic setup is a weird one since it uses channel 16 as Drum channel. So it is not GM compatible since GM knows nothing about drum channels besides channel 10.
Microsoft had an idea and made an 'Authoring Guideline' how to make Midi files compatible with both the Extended and Basic setups:
You put two versions of the same song in the file - one on channels 13-16, and another on channels 1-10. Great idea...
These files can be compatible with Extended and Base but unfortunately not with Full/GM because of channel 16 as a Drum channel.

I have a pale memory about meeting midi files that sound weird because of wrong instrument on channel 16 but I fixed them and never bothered about the whys.
But a user reported me recently that all files from the Japanese Win95 game called Silent Nova sound bad with FSMP.
Actually they sound bad with every player I tried (Van Basco, Foobar, Winamp, XMPlay etc.) but one exception: Windows Media Player.
The midi files all authored according to MS Authoring Guideline: 2 different arrangement of the same song corresponding to Base and Extended setups.
The most confusing thing is all the files declare explicitly they are GM compatible by including a GM System On SysEx message.
But they are not because of the Base arrangement with Drums on channel 16.
Yet WMP plays them right by playing only channels 1-10 (Extended setup).
It turned out all of the files contain a totally undocumented Sequencer specific meta event (0x7f) with a 3 byte data value of '00 00 41'.
I have found nothing about this message/data combo but WMP knows and uses it in spite of the explicit GM reset.
So much about MS and standards...

So as a workaround I have added a 'Channels' compatibility option to FSMP. There are 3 possible choices:
1. All Channels (1-16)
2. MS Extended (1-10)
3. MS Basic (13-16; 16->10)
This way you can hear both versions of the song if you want. Here's a package with 2 midis from the above mentioned game:

Filename
Silent_Nova_MS_Extended_Base.zip
File size
15.96 KiB
Downloads
122 downloads
File license

I have thought about adding a WMP like 'automatic' handling but I rejected the idea because:
1. Lack of documentation (what this meta event exactly means? Always Extended? Or Base when only channels 13-16 found?)
2. I have met midi files that contain this meta event and actually sound worse with Extended setup (WMP skips channels 11-16 in these cases and sacrifices richer sound).
Download location is the same:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_53_test.zip
Bye

Reply 618 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Hi, I have thought about adding a WMP like 'automatic' handling but I rejected the idea because: 1. Lack of documentation (what […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I have thought about adding a WMP like 'automatic' handling but I rejected the idea because:
1. Lack of documentation (what this meta event exactly means? Always Extended? Or Base when only channels 13-16 found?)
2. I have met midi files that contain this meta event and actually sound worse with Extended setup (WMP skips channels 11-16 in these cases and sacrifices richer sound).

Do you think could it be possible to give users an advice from your software about this. So, for example, if i've such kind of file, i know, maybe, i've to change settings for correct playback.
Aldo

Reply 619 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

Hi,
Do you think could it be possible to give users an advice from your software about this. So, for example, if i've such kind of file, i know, maybe, i've to change settings for correct playback.
Aldo

You will know when you meet such a file and feel the need that you have to change something for correct playback 😀. The obvious sign of such a file is bad sound (piano instead of drum) on channel 16. If such an MS dual authored file does not contain anything on channel 16 there is no problem. You will actually get a 'richer' sound by playing channels 1-15 together.
But yes, maybe the Midi System icon should show 'MS' instead of 'GM' in case of such files.
But there is no such official system as MS and many of these files are actually GM so I don't know yet. And as I said above without documentation I do not even know what would be the exact criteria of such a file. (E.g. only the exact value of 0x000041 matters or 0x000040 also means this is an MS dual authored file but in Full setup mode?)

@Edit:
OK, an 'MS Ext.' label in the main display area is shown if this specific sequencer meta event is detected (also you can see a hint if you move the mouse above the label).
Also added another option to 'Compatibility Settings -> Channels': 'MS GM Compatible (1-15). It's not an MS standard layout but often it sounds best. It only disables the problematic drum channel (16) of the Basic part.
The Japanese user (who reported the problem) has many of these problematic midi files:
Amaranth KH remix:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ood5_jzL-dG … awVWM2-up_l3IZ0
Silent nova:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ls0BWz ... bz5FBh4FI