VOGONS

Reply 861 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Yes. You can find it in 'Main menu -> Compatibility Settings -> Fix Sfz Drum Bug (Force XG Drums)'

Thank you.

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 862 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a couple of request (and sorry for bothering you... I've already did this a lot!!!).

When forcing XG Drum Set can you give the possibility to select the default MSB / LSB / Program? Using an external Synth Yamaha I think this could be really usefull to use all the yamaha drumset outside midi and selecting a default for a batch midi recording.

Then, i know you software already has this function, but what about a 16 channel Midi Mixer: an overall view of all channel would be great; and including easy MSB LSB and programs manual settings in the same single overall windows) ( for example i find Motif ES Standard drum set, a "little" bit loud, even if ultra compressed mp3 reduce this effect (while i think yamaha guitars are great). I'm attaching the recorded audio, Doom 2 soundtrack, (with default value, and the comparison for the midi issue i'll write about later in this post).

IN the end: Motif ES has a really annoying MIDI TIMING BUG: if I change song (in your as in other DAW like Yamaha SOL for example), i've a midi timing issue. But, then, remaining in the same song, just stop and playing this bug almost disappear (And ONLY IN YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!! that's just great!) (i ve reset value, usually always, setted to no sysex). I'll attach the bug recorded (same song); with this motif issue it's almost impossible to use batch recording, but your software, remain the only chance to solve midi issue... to almost not udible millisecond.

Last 😀 When recording with reverb and chorus, i think it could be usefull to record one second more (i think now it's recording for 2 second).

Attachments

• Filename
    01 - entryway.mp3
    File size
    3.74 MiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    bug.ogg
    File size
    184.35 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license

Reply 863 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

When forcing XG Drum Set can you give the possibility to select the default MSB / LSB / Program? Using an external Synth Yamaha I think this could be really usefull to use all the yamaha drumset outside midi and selecting a default for a batch midi recording.

No, and I don't think this kind of default Program option is a good idea. 'Force XG Drums' is a compatibility setting so if a Midi file wants to use e.g. Orchestra it can do it even on XG synths. Forcing fix Drum programs would not help compatibility the same way forcing programs on melodic channels would not. I think e.g. forcing Room and then playing a Midi that was authored to use Orchestra or SFX would not give good results generally. So I think the best approach is not different than in case of melodic channels: If you like some programs/instruments better in case of a given Midi file you should change it manually, even permanently (you can save Re-Patched midi files from FSMP itself). I don't think your case is special just because it's an external XG synth. I think the situation is the same as in case of GS or internal synths.

Then, i know you software already has this function, but what about a 16 channel Midi Mixer:

Maybe you have not found the related earlier posts in this topic but you are not the first one requesting this.
My earlier response still holds:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

IN the end: Motif ES has a really annoying MIDI TIMING BUG: if I change song (in your as in other DAW like Yamaha SOL for example), i've a midi timing issue. But, then, remaining in the same song, just stop and playing this bug almost disappear (And ONLY IN YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!! that's just great!)

I'm glad FSMP could help in this situation.

Last 😀 When recording with reverb and chorus, i think it could be usefull to record one second more (i think now it's recording for 2 second).

Yes, FSMP uses CD standard 2 sec. pauses if 'Pause between songs' is enabled in the context menu of playlist.
But of course other pause interval options can be added if necessary.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 864 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

I understand. What about, just use exactly what you've already done, but in a single external windows? Something like this for all 16 channel in a separate windows where i can see 16 channel simultaneously?

Attachments

• Falcon.jpg
    Filename
    Falcon.jpg
    File size
    35.72 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 865 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Regarding drum set, well, it's not about a single sound i like and I want to change manually in MSB LSB... Drum kit are sometimes similar, so it's for a batch recording according to personal taste... this is for example, motif es drum voices... That was an idea because maybe on a soundtrack will fit good a dromkit instead of another... just an idea.

Attachments

• Drumkit.jpg
    Filename
    Drumkit.jpg
    File size
    100.6 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 866 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

I'm glad FSMP could help in this situation.

Do you think any chance to have this solved even when i play a playlist?

Reply 867 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

Hi.
I understand. What about, just use exactly what you've already done, but in a single external windows? Something like this for all 16 channel in a separate windows where i can see 16 channel simultaneously?

If you had read the post and the one above it I referenced in my previous post you should have noticed that my response was referring to a similar idea:
file.php?id=30941&t=1
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player

Do you think any chance to have this solved even when i play a playlist?

Not likely, since I have no idea what can cause this and without the exact hardware to test with I do not think I have the slightest chance to find solutions.

Edit: What happens if you select 'XG_ON.syx' custom SysEx in the right click context menu of Reset button -> Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog and then set Delay between sysEx chunks to a high value e.g. 250ms (and then of course select this 'XG_ON' as Reset type) ?

Reply 868 of 1699, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

RetroGC
You not right ) good guitar it so

Attachments

• Filename
    MAP08.ogg
    File size
    3.59 MiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    MAP07.ogg
    File size
    3.72 MiB
    Downloads
    67 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    MAP01.ogg
    File size
    3.02 MiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File comment
    YAMAHA TyRUS )
    File license

Reply 869 of 1699, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Edit: What happens if you select 'XG_ON.syx' custom SysEx in the right click context menu of Reset button -> Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog and then set Delay between sysEx chunks to a high value e.g. 250ms (and then of course select this 'XG_ON' as Reset type) ?

Seem with 250MS this is working. Really Really Thank you.

BTW, please really think about a custom MSP LSB Program, when applying Force XG Drum: for synth with a lot of Drum Set, or when using PPLG Drum Board, this i think would really be usefull.

Aldo

Reply 870 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:
Seem with 250MS this is working. Really Really Thank you. […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote:

Seem with 250MS this is working. Really Really Thank you.

BTW, please really think about a custom MSP LSB Program, when applying Force XG Drum: for synth with a lot of Drum Set, or when using PPLG Drum Board, this i think would really be usefull.

Aldo

1. In the meantime I have added a new option that can help with synths producing problems like this without forcing large overall delays in case of many SysEx messages. Namely there is a new option in Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog called Delay after Last SysEx chunk (that similarly to earlier options also affects all external SysEx files and Reset messages but not SysEx messages in Midi files themselves). You can give it a higher value without risking very long overall SysEx transfers in case of many SysEx chunks. So you can give the 'Delay between SysEx Chunks' parameter a smaller value (e.g. 20 ms) and only give 'Delay after Last SysEx chunk parameter a higher value like 250 ms in your case. This is better since in case of e.g. 10 consecutive SysEx messages in a .syx file you do not have to wait 2.5 sec for playback to start just 450 ms. (instead of 10 * 250 ms, just 10 * 20 ms + 250 ms). I hope it's clear.

2. I have also added the option of 3 sec. pause between songs to right click context menu of playlist.
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_57_test.zip

3. But I still do not think for such a special case I will modify the XG Drum compatibility fix. It would be confusing for other users and in this sense FSMP is already too cluttered with hard to understand options. Actually your case is so special that even I did not understand it since it has nothing to do with XG spec at all (XG specification does not even mention Drum kits like yours).
For the time being you can try to play with the not so long ago implemented 'Main menu -> Patch Change Hotkeys' dialog where you can define Bank MSB + Bank LSB + Program Change combination hotkeys freely for any channels (including channel 10 drums) for real time patch changes.
And as I said before if you want permanent changes you can also do this easily: Change Bank MSB/LSB + Program with Midi player then Right Click context menu of Playlist and select 'Export Re-Patched Midi File'.
I believe that a modified 'force XG Drum' option would be useful for you (just like your previous 16 separate channels for 16 different devices idea) but I think it would be confusing for others. And FSMP is still not 'Aldo's tool for his specific tasks' but a general purpose Midi Player. I hope you understand this. If I add something similar later it will be a more general 'Patch override' function for more general usage patterns that are essentially independent from XG and Drums.

Reply 872 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could the delay sysex messages function help with my buffer overflow issue as well?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 873 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Could the delay sysex messages function help with my buffer overflow issue as well?

I do not think so. Your buffer problem is not SysEx related at all. You could get buffer full error while processing simple channel messages.

Reply 874 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I do not think so. Your buffer problem is not SysEx related at all. You could get buffer full error while processing simple channel messages.

Ah, I see. That's very strange though; a roland GM/GS device having overflow issues with just simple GM/GS midi files is incomprehensible. I am using FSMP and an M-Audio USB interface for this; tomorrow I will try connecting a real Win95 PC via regular MIDI cables and playing the same files from over there to see how that goes. If that does not trigger the overflow it's either the USB cable or the FSMP that's doing something weird.

Reply 875 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Ah, I see. That's very strange though; a roland GM/GS device having overflow issues with just simple GM/GS midi files is incomprehensible.

If you are talking about Roland User's Freeze-2.mid file that you tested, it's not just a simple GM/GS midi file. It contains unusually many Midi messages/sec (mainly Note On/Off). The problem was rather how early your device failed (you said at the 5 second mark). Otherwise you said:

I just wanted to confirm that setting Reset to GS_ON solved my problem beautifully! SD-35 recordings coming in 3.. 2.. 1..

So I thought you could not get buffer full errors with real traditional GM/GS Midi files. Or you experienced other problems since then?

I am using FSMP and an M-Audio USB interface for this; tomorrow I will try connecting a real Win95 PC via regular MIDI cables and playing the same files from over there to see how that goes. If that does not trigger the overflow it's either the USB cable or the FSMP that's doing something weird.

Before re-cabling and re-configuring your device you should try a more simple test: use Windows Media Player ( or Van Basco if it is installed) with Freeze-2.mid and see if you get the same buffer full error at the 5 second mark. I'm almost 100% sure you will get the same way as with FSMP 😀

Reply 876 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote:

So I thought you could not get buffer full errors with real traditional GM/GS Midi files. Or you experienced other problems since then?

This is true, with GS_ON I did not get a single buffer overflow with any MIDI files aside from Roland's crash test.

Before re-cabling and re-configuring your device you should try a more simple test: use Windows Media Player ( or Van Basco if it is installed) with Freeze-2.mid and see if you get the same buffer full error at the 5 second mark. I'm almost 100% sure you will get the same way as with FSMP 😀

That's.. really clever actually. I will try that tonight 😀

Reply 877 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something completely different 😀
I have made a Midi + SF2 conversion from Analog Devices Sound Demo that was included in the driver package and used Riff Midi (.rmi) files with included DLS soundfonts.
Original:
www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Anal ... Demo_(W32)
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/images/c/c9/Analog_ … o_%28W32%29.zip

This way it can be played with both SB Live/Audigy HW synths and Bassmidi by using FSMP's real-time soundfont loading capability. The 3 demo file pairs (mid+sf2) require a full GM/GS soundfont loaded at bank 0 (default soundfont) since the included soundfonts are only variation banks intended to be loaded at bank 1 and contain only 1 custom instrument played at channel 16:

Filename
AD Sound Demo_SF2.zip
File size
3.9 MiB
Downloads
58 downloads
File license

Reply 878 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you also share the DLS so we can use it with Aureal Vortex or similar cards that use DLS soundfonts?

Edit: Nevermind, you already did 😀

Reply 879 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing the Roland freeze MIDI file from Media Player results in a buffer overflow at the 5 second mark, same as FSMP; It's either the device or the USB interface then.