VOGONS

Reply 740 of 1675, by bellarmine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it out, and it's PERFECT! THANK YOU! Now I have 2 new ways to use the pedal with my MIDI keyboard, much easier. 😀

I appreciate it, this will be real handy! It is such fun to suggest something, and then you modify it and I see your program with my suggestion in it - what a thrill, amazing. Wish I had learned programming a bit more, never got beyond some (fairly complex) DOS Batch files way back in DOS 6.22, still use them today.

The new 2x view and the MIDI Event Viewer is great stuff as well, getting better all the time!

Cheers, best wishes and Thanks!! 😀

Bellarmine

When working on a job, you have 3 criteria: Fast, Good, and Cheap (i.e., Quick, High Quality, and Low Cost). Only 2 out of 3 are practical.

Reply 741 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI.

Just an info: there's a way to send a custom sysex before each midi file in automatic way?

(I?ve a synth: Roland FantomXR, with broken display... I've found the right command "F0 41 10 00 6B 12 02 00 00 05 40 7C F7" to correct master volume to 50% but I've to manually send the sysex just after i've started the midi playback... so sometimes , if i've no mute second at the start of the song i've the output volume too high and i've clipping).

Thank you.

Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 742 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:
HI. […]
Show full quote

HI.

Just an info: there's a way to send a custom sysex before each midi file in automatic way?

(I?ve a synth: Roland FantomXR, with broken display... I've found the right command "F0 41 10 00 6B 12 02 00 00 05 40 7C F7" to correct master volume to 50% but I've to manually send the sysex just after i've started the midi playback... so sometimes , if i've no mute second at the start of the song i've the output volume too high and i've clipping).

Thank you.

Aldo

Of course. Right click on Reset button -> Select/Send custom SysEx then in the opened Dialog select 'Use Hex string' then copy your SysEx message there.
Finally on the Right click context menu of the Reset button make sure that Custom SysEx is selected. The selected custom SysEx message is sent right before playback of each Midi file.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 743 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really Thank you. In a similar way it worked: If i use the reset with my custom sysex, volume was reset to 100%. But If I sent my custom sysex, and then in the reset i specified no sysex, volume remain the volume i wish. Now i'm be able to record trough coax output with this synth too.

Just another question: can you generate a Track List txt file when recording in session mode?

Aldo

Reply 744 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

Really Thank you. In a similar way it worked: If i use the reset with my custom sysex, volume was reset to 100%. But If I sent my custom sysex, and then in the reset i specified no sysex, volume remain the volume i wish. Now i'm be able to record trough coax output with this synth too.
Aldo

I'm glad it worked for you, but actually it does not make any sense 😀.
The only explanation why 'No SysEx' and 'Custom SysEx' as selected Reset type made a different result is that you have checked 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' in Device Settings dialog Mixer section and also your Synth reacts to GM/GS Master Volume SysEx messages.
Otherwise if 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' is not checked then selected Custom SysEx (that you have set as Hex String) as Reset type does exactly the same thing when you send the SysEx in the Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog (I have just re-checked and it works correctly).
But then the question arise: Why a custom SysEx is needed for you to set your Synth's Master Volume when apparently your Synth reacts to GM/GS Master Volume SysEx messages that are sent by Midi Player when 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' option is checked? If 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' is checked then the Master Volume SysEx messages corresponding to the selected values on the Volume slider are sent real-time and also together with other SysEx messages before playback of each Midi file (to preserve your selected Volume on the slider).

Just another question: can you generate a Track List txt file when recording in session mode?

Right click on Playlist -> 'Save Playlist' saves your current track list actually as a plain text file.

FYI, I have made some optimizations regarding your overlapping loop points problem, I don't know if you have noticed my earlier reply:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
That version of FSMP is outdated now but newest version also includes the workarounds.

Reply 745 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI, and first of all thank you for your answer.

I'm Using your latest version: 5.6: I always check for your update. Your, imho, is really a great midi player, even if i would like some adjustment 😀 and thanks to it i've uploaded more than 2000 midi soundtrack in my youtube channel.

Now: about loop i mean Loop Detected (as now, standard) / Loop detected (from 0). This for me would be usefull, really.

Concerning playlist i mean time/lenght/starting point summary: if i record in session mode a single file, i want to know when songs starts: I'll copy and paste an example:

SONG TITLE Start Length
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. filename 00:00:02 01:29
2. filename 00:01:33 etc.
3. filename 00:05:21
4. filename 00:07:45
5. filename 00:10:28
6 filename 00:11:43
7. filename 00:12:19

Thank you for your help.

Aldo

Reply 746 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now: about loop i mean Loop Detected (as now, standard) / Loop detected (from 0). This for me would be usefull, really.

Unfortunately I do not understand anything about this 😀

Concerning playlist i mean time/lenght/starting point summary: if i record in session mode a single file, i want to know when songs starts: I'll copy and paste an example:

You have to do this manually. The info is there on the playlist to help you in doing this, but it's not exported to playlist file (unnecessary for a playlist format since song length is calculated at load time).

Reply 747 of 1675, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About loop, i only mean if you can write on the display if loop detected restart from the beginning of the song or not.

About playlist information... I've to sum minute and second manually: if i record a single file from 10 midi, i've not the information of at which minute/second the song start inside the single file. I can copy all of this info manually, but can you display this? I only see song lenght.

Thank you.

Aldo

Reply 748 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote:

About loop, i only mean if you can write on the display if loop detected restart from the beginning of the song or not.
Aldo

'Beginning' is rather relative, actually I have never seen loop points exactly at position 0 (they are rather at hard to define "near at 0" positions). There are also the cases of multiple loop point pairs so the situation is more complicated than a simple 'loop at beginning or not'. So instead of displaying a hard to decode or cluttered information on main display that is also irrelevant for most users I have added a new filter to Event Viewer/Debugger dialog called 'Loop Points'. If you select this filter all loop points known/used by midiplayer can be found and inspected on all tracks (including the position). You can see immediately if a track contains loop points by checking the number of filtered events after applying the filter. By pressing F3 you can jump to them one by one.

About playlist information... I've to sum minute and second manually: if i record a single file from 10 midi, i've not the information of at which minute/second the song start inside the single file. I can copy all of this info manually, but can you display this? I only see song lenght.

This info can also be calculated approximately from the length of songs, but OK i have added an 'Export Playlist Info' option to the context menu of playlist. It exports a CSV file including the 'offset from start' info. Be aware that this is also an approximate calculation that you could do on paper derived form the available song length info. So if you enable e.g. 'Play from first Note' option or press pause during playback or you set a non-100% tempo the results will be incorrect. Enabled loops and Long custom SysEx messages that are sent before the playback of each song (and big 'Delay between SysEx chunks' values) can also cause big differences between real start offsets of the songs and the theoretical calculated values. But it calculates with the 2 sec. delay added by 'Pause between songs' option since it's a fix value.

@Edit: But to tell you the truth I think a much more reliable method would be to enable 'Pause between songs', and when you are ready with your recording session open the wav file in a wave editor and look for the fix 2 sec. gaps and note down the positions.

http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_56_test.zip

Reply 749 of 1675, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just wanted to say thank you for this software! I was able to run it in Linux without any issues whatsoever. It has much lower audio latency than SAVIhost. When using WASAPI, I can set the "Buffer (latency)" slider to "10", and the output from SCVA is immediate without any delay whatsoever and without any dropouts or crackling. With SAVIhost, I had to use a huge buffer setting with a delay of about half a second, and it would still crackle and pop from time to time.

This tool is pretty awesome 😀

9Kt0KUGm.png

Reply 750 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote:
I just wanted to say thank you for this software! I was able to run it in Linux without any issues whatsoever. It has much lower […]
Show full quote

I just wanted to say thank you for this software! I was able to run it in Linux without any issues whatsoever. It has much lower audio latency than SAVIhost. When using WASAPI, I can set the "Buffer (latency)" slider to "10", and the output from SCVA is immediate without any delay whatsoever and without any dropouts or crackling. With SAVIhost, I had to use a huge buffer setting with a delay of about half a second, and it would still crackle and pop from time to time.

This tool is pretty awesome 😀

9Kt0KUGm.png

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to know that the special buffer-less mode that is activated when you set Latency to 10ms in WASAPI mode also works in Wine.
I have not tried it myself...

Reply 751 of 1675, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to know that the special buffer-less mode that is activated when you set Latency to 10ms in WASAPI mode also works in Wine.
I have not tried it myself...

I've been playing quite a few games, and so far there's been zero audio pops or crackles in low latency mode. Seems very solid.

Is there any actual benefit to it though for games? Other than satisfying my "best settings" OCD 😁

Reply 752 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote:

Is there any actual benefit to it though for games? Other than satisfying my "best settings" OCD 😁

I do not think so. Buffer-less mode in theory requires more tight timings from the stages of whole audio pipeline and from the whole system overall, so dropouts and pops are more likely than e.g. with a 50-60 ms buffer. And 50-60 ms latency is still virtually unnoticeable when playing games. But instead of games/DosBox you can also attach a real Midi keyboard to the Midi-in port used by FSMP for real-time jamming. And low latency is crucial in this case.
Since I do not know the internal working of Wine it's still possible that under Wine buffer-less mode is more stable overall than any other settings. Only you can tell by testing. I usually test/debug Wine compatibility in a virtual machine and this kind of low-level performance testing is not possible in a VM with emulated hardware.

Reply 753 of 1675, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there's a small bug with the volume slider. I've set it to the maximum, but when restarting it's set slightly below maximum. When setting the volume to something else, it remembers it. It just it doesn't restore it correctly when it's set to maximum volume.

Reply 754 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote:

I think there's a small bug with the volume slider. I've set it to the maximum, but when restarting it's set slightly below maximum. When setting the volume to something else, it remembers it. It just it doesn't restore it correctly when it's set to maximum volume.

It cannot be reproduced on any Windows versions, so it must be some Wine specific rounding problem with Trackbar controls. Does it really influence the volume level on Wine or it's just an aesthetic problem?

You can check what real volume value is saved/restored by the player by inspecting 'BassVol' variable in registry of Wine
at HKCU/Software/Falcosoft/Midiplayer or in Midiplayer.ini if 'Store setting in Ini File' is selected in Main menu -> Storage Settings. BassVol= 0 means real maximum volume and BassVol=100 means real minimum volume (Trackbar controls have actually upside down values).

Reply 755 of 1675, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

You can check what real volume value is saved/restored by the player by inspecting 'BassVol' variable [...] BassVol= 0 means real maximum volume

Yep, it's 0. So it's only a visual problem with Wine.

(The screenshot I posted the other days shows the issue.)

Reply 756 of 1675, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried playing Sam & Max (CD-ROM version) in ScummVM, and Midi Player v5.5 crashes for me. The crash is very reproducible. It happens exactly the moment the Lucas Arts logo goes away and the game's intro cutscene starts (when the mad scientist says "friends?")

About 1 times out of 10, it does not crash at the intro. However, it will then crash randomly within 5 to 10 minutes after that.

It happens regardless of whether the SCVA VST is loaded or not.

I'm attaching the backtrace file Wine gives me.

Attachments

• Filename
    backtrace.txt
    File size
    7.04 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 757 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried playing Sam & Max (CD-ROM version) in ScummVM, and Midi Player v5.5 crashes for me. The crash is very reproducible. It happens exactly the moment the Lucas Arts logo goes away and the game's intro cutscene starts (when the mad scientist says "friends?")

Since I cannot reproduce this problem on any Windows versions it also must be Wine specific problem. Based on the attached trace log it seems the problem is related to Bass libraries.
You can try a few things to identify the problem.
1. Disable Bass output so use normal Midi out mode. Under Wine usually there are only dummy Midi out devices available that do not produce any sound but for testing it would be useful to try. This can justify the Bass problem theory.
2. You can try different audio output mode (WASAPI/Directsound).
3. You can try 32-bit vs 64-bit versions of Midiplayer (and thus Bass libraries).
4. You can try an older version of Bass/Bassmidi. E.g. Midiplayer 5.2 used older versions:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_52.zip
5. You can also try the non-talkie version or CD-version without analog audio enabled to test if it makes a difference.

Unfortunately there is not much I can do. Wine should emulate Windows properly and applications even should not know the they are not running under real Windows but Wine. Wine specific workarounds are never a good idea (but sometimes necessary, I know).

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-11-19, 16:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 758 of 1675, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I disabled bass/vst mode, which was difficult to do because it crashes in the configuration dialog when I do that with:

"Multimedia System Error 11 - Invalid Parameter passed in mixerGetLineControls"

I tried a few times and somehow got it disabled. I restarted it, and verified bass/vst was indeed off. It crashed at the same spot in ScummVM.

I'll try an older version then.

Reply 759 of 1675, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What software cable you use to connect ScummVM to Midiplayer and what version of ScummVM you use? ( I mean you use the native Linux version or the Windows version of ScummVM also under Wine)
Also what version of Midiplayer you use, 32 or 64 bit?