VOGONS

Reply 40 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I restarted the PC, now the multimedia Stop responds, something was taking it even though I closed everything (even in task manager) besides Midi Player.
The access violation bug is still there.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 41 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

This IS a bug, not a feature request.

I don't think so 😀. This is an option that can be set in any Listview.
In midiplayer's context there is no semantic difference between soft/hard highlight. The hard/soft separated states offer no functional benefit. But has a rather big drawback. When you drag an item you cannot refer to 'selected' beneath the dragged item as 'insert' position. That's it. I think your argument is rather academic and I respect it. I would have modified it in a minute if it had not required massive code rewrite.

The access violation bug is still there.

I have not uploaded it yet, I always indicate when there is a new version to download.
You know, this starts as 'Download location is ....' 😀

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2016-05-27, 16:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 42 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, no problems.
I (we/all) will obviously get used to playlist as is, convenience is convenience, nothing more. 😀
You already done WAY more than I expected, and made me switch to your player, even though I was a hardcore vanBasco guy.

Don't give up on the small "Repeat Playlist" On/Off feature, it definitely should be in 3.5.

Also, vanBasco complies to this:

It would be nice that that player finishes playing the song even if it was already deleted from the playlist. With AIMP (winamp) […]
Show full quote

It would be nice that that player finishes playing the song even if it was already deleted from the playlist.
With AIMP (winamp) or vanBasco, I usually empty the playlist while still listening to the last song, and adding new songs to a clean playlist.
If the playlist is empty, the song will finish playing and stop the player.
If files are added, the player will finish the playing song and start playing from the new first song.

Currently, the player stops and sends a reset command when I select "Remove All".
It also starts playing automatically when adding songs to an empty playlist, it should not do that, it should wait till I click Play.
"Auto play (next song)" and "Start playing when adding files to empty playlist" are two different things.

Please don't stop and reset when I clear the playlist (I don't have a single player that does this).
Also, no auto-play when adding to empty playlist (maybe it should be switchable?).
Hope that it is not too much to ask even though you already pointed that there are enough new features for 3.5.

In any case, this thread is not going anywhere.
When you'll have the time and will, I'm sure Falcosoft Midi Player will continue to grow. 😀

I always indicate when there is a new version to download.

Great.

Reply 43 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
1. Added 'Repeat All Playlist' option to Playlist context menu.
2. Added 'Remove Dead Items' option to Playlist context menu (removes missing and invalid files). I know it has not been on your wishlist but it has on mine. 😀
3. As I have said Access Violation fixed.

Please don't stop and reset when I clear the playlist (I don't have a single player that does this).

Media Player Classic (including HC version), Windows Media Player just to name a few. Moreover midiplayer also acts as a real-time synth ( this does not apply to other players) and this way you can quickly get a clean jamming session state e.g. when you use and external keyboard. It seems more logical to me (no items = no playable content) and definitely like it better this way.
But I'm not saying I'm not willing to modify this, just thinking about it.

Also, no auto-play when adding to empty playlist (maybe it should be switchable?).

Yes, it should be switchable. I just don't want to modify this in a rush since other projects (e.g. https://www.mcmusiceditor.com/) use the existing logic to auto play right after opening the player.
And I also think that these behaviors are not deal breakers . Some may like them others do not.
As I have said I'm thinking about them.
I hope you understand this.

Download location is the same as before.

Reply 44 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Understood.

1. Typo: Compatibility Settings -> "Esc to Quit" not "Quit to Esc".
2. Player doesn't remembers the playlist/GUI length on exit (good thing in case of #3).

3. Clicking the upper border can stretch the playlist when dragging up, and move the player when dragging down.
This is useful when the playlist is taller than the desktop and I don't see the bottom to shrink the playlist.
#2 can actually help here by returning to original size.
An inexperienced user will not be able to shrink the player back if he can't see the bottom.

4. When I move the player below the taskbar I can't bring it back.
The solution is to click Alt+Space then M (key), and move the GUI with the keyboard arrows till it's up on the screen.
Or I can Auto-Hide the taskbar.
An inexperienced user, will lose the Midi Player window forever... 😎

Besides this, all OK.
This might be the release version.

Reply 45 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, good catches 😀
1. Typo fixed.
2. Player saves/restores height of 'Show playlist & Piano' state.
3. Top border is now draggable just like the bottom and enables resize.
'Show border' option is removed from appearance menu since it is no longer an aesthetic preference. Off state would break functionality.
4. Moving form to move beyond work area is now prevented.

Download location is the same as before.

Reply 46 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One last thing and it's ready for release.
Grabbing the left border is like stretching and moving (try dragging fully to the right), should be like the right border (do nothing).

Reply 47 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, I cannot prevent this. It's a side effect of the main form becoming resizeable. I have already handled WM_NCHITTEST in horizontal directions but it only removed the visual resize indicators, Windows still tries to resize it. Anyway I think it is absolutely harmless.

Reply 49 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Soundfont Midi Player version 3.5 is released.
Thanks again for your valuable help (I have mentioned you in the Readme file).

http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

version 3.5

1. Main form's height is set to adjustable (for better playlist handling). You can resize it by dragging top/bottom border.
2. Added real Stop button. Play/Pause is now a toggle button.
3. Added 'Play from first Note' option to Playlist's context menu (skips silence at start).
4 Added 'Remove Dead Items' option to Playlist's context menu (removes missing or invalid files).
5. Added 'Repeat All Playlist' option to Playlist's context menu.
6. Improved compatibility with the recently released Sound Canvas VA.
7. Fixed problems with midi file length calculation when end of track event is mistimed.
8. Fixed playing problems with midi files that use out of spec sysex messages.
9. While dragging an item inside the playlist the playlist scrolls if you move your mouse outside of it.
10. Dragging items to playlist from explorer inserts the items right where you drop them.
11. Other fixes and enhancements.

Reply 51 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bug report.

When I play a corrupted midi file like any of these:
http://www.midiarchive.co.uk/midi/Games/Duke%20Nukem%203D/

Without first clicking stop I "Remove Dead Items", then try to play any other file, there is an Access Violation error which forces me to restart the player.

Reply 52 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I have a problem reproducing this error. First, the files you referred do not seem to be corrupted. I have downloaded 4 of them and all plays fine. Of course I can create corrupt/invalid files but these do not trigger this error.

Reply 53 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try to download them "Save Link As", without clicking on them and then clicking "click here to download".
They show ??? for time.

EDIT:
A simpler way is to create a txt file and rename it to mid.

To fix the Access Violation error I can click the "Title (# items)" tab and now I can play a different song.

Reply 54 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EDIT:
A simpler way is to create a txt file and rename it to mid.

As I have written "Of course I can create corrupt/invalid files" actually I have renamed xml files, the problem is I cannot trigger the AV you get. For me the red arrow pointer stays on the invalid file, when I double click it nothing happens. When I click next it simply starts to play the next valid file. Doubleclicking another valid file also starts to play the corresponding valid file.
So my problem is to reproduce the AV. Please, write down exactly what I have to do when invalid files are on the playlist to reproduce the AV.
Thanks.

Reply 55 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read my first post.
While playing the corrupt file I click "Remove Dead Items" and try to play a different file.

EDIT:
Now I get this error.

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
60.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

To recreate this, add the corrupt file back to the playlist without restarting the player after the AV.
Now try to "Remove Dead Items" again.

Reply 56 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I got it. Sometimes it's problematic that I'm not an English native speaker. For me this

Without first clicking stop I "Remove Dead Items", then try to play any other file

has meant that 'Without first clicking stop AND I Remove Dead Items' so I have not bothered with "Remove Dead Items" since I have thought that SOLVED the problem 😀

Reply 57 of 1690, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

'Without first clicking stop AND I Remove Dead Items'

I would have to add the word "already" in the end to mean what you thought it meant.
I also forgot the comma "," after the word "stop" so I was careless with my English too.

That sentence was in chronological order not in additive manner, could have been both though, so you are not wrong, it is I that been careless. 😊

Reply 58 of 1690, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
1. AV fixed.
2. No auto start after adding item to empty playlist . You have convinced me 😀

New test version:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_351_test.zip