VOGONS

Reply 921 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's BSD like in the sense that you can use the code even in proprietary software without having to give the code back (contrary to GPL). It allows for distribution of compiled code for either commercial or non-commercial purposes. So practically in case of Windows software it works like a 'do whatever you want with it' license (just like BSD).
But of course the 'only for Windows' restriction is not compatible with the 'spirit' of licenses like BSD at all. In this sense it is not 'open source' since it violates the principle that open source licenses have to be technology neutral. So whether it can be considered a BSD like license or not depends on your point of view and what aspect of it you consider the determinant one.
If you write Windows only proprietary software you can use BSD and also MS-LPL licensed code but not GPL. In this case MS-LPL works as a BSD like license.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2019-04-01, 22:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 922 of 1688, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can FSMP intercept MIDI sent to a MIDI port on the PC (i.e. external MIDI port on the sound card), route it to a loaded VSTi plugin and play it simultaneously? If this is possible, I can't seem to do it.

What I want to do is, on a Win98 PC, run Doom (or Monkey Island) in an MS-DOS box with General MIDI selected for music; have FSM listen to the sound card's midi at port 330 and intercept the data, then play it on the S-YXG50 VSTi (or Munt)..

I can't seem to get this to work currently. Maybe it doesn't play ball with VxD drivers? Should I try WDM?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 923 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FSMP can only get data from Midi-In ports (and can send data to Midi-Out ports) just like any other Midi software under Windows. Midi ports are provided by drivers under Windows, there is no direct intercepting possible from a Midi-Out port. What you want to achieve is only possible by using a virtual Midi cable that has 2 ends, both a Midi-In and a Midi-Out. Then you can send the signal from the game to the virtual Midi-Out that can be received by FSMP through the virtual Midi-In port. You can use e.g. the Win9x version of Midi Yoke that definitely works with Windows software but I have doubts that Win9x supports redirecting DOS session's Midi data to user mode Midi drivers. I'm almost sure it's not working with Vxd drivers but you can try it with WDM drivers.
http://www.midiox.com/zip/midiyoke.exe

Under Windows 95, install the MIDI Yoke Junction via the Control Panel 'Add New Hardware' applet. Answer 'No' to searching for hardware. Choose Sound, video and game controllers. Choose 'Have Disk'. Browse to the directory containing the installation files (MIDIYOKE.DRV and OEMSETUP.INF). Press OK...

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2019-04-01, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 924 of 1688, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With WDM drivers I would have no OPL3 so that's even worse of a compromise; the best I can probably do is use an external MIDI device then I guess, thanks 😀

Reply 925 of 1688, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote:

It's BSD like in the sense that you can use the code even in proprietary software without having to give the code back (contrary to GPL). It allows for distribution of compiled code for either commercial or non-commercial purposes. So practically in case of Windows software it works like a 'do whatever you want with it' license (just like BSD).
But of course the 'only for Windows' restriction is not compatible with the 'spirit' of licenses like BSD at all. In this sense it is not 'open source' since it violates the principle that open source licenses have to be technology neutral. So whether it can be considered a BSD like license or not depends on your point of view and what aspect of it you consider the determinant one.
If you write Windows only proprietary software you can use BSD and also MS-LPL licensed code but not GPL. In this case MS-LPL works as a BSD like license.

Well I doubt Microsoft is going to go out of their way to track down a financially and psychologically struggling lone male for adapting code over to improve his own MIDI playback on his own frankensteined Linux system.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 926 of 1688, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

With WDM drivers I would have no OPL3 so that's even worse of a compromise; the best I can probably do is use an external MIDI device then I guess, thanks 😀

Or just two sound cards in the same machine with a physical MIDI connection between them. You probably need two sound cards either way because one can't mix Sound Blaster PCM with the sound coming from the soft synth while using VxD drivers.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 927 of 1688, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Or just two sound cards in the same machine with a physical MIDI connection between them. You probably need two sound cards either way because one can't mix Sound Blaster PCM with the sound coming from the soft synth while using VxD drivers.

It is an SFF case with no free slots but I do have onboard sound..

Reply 928 of 1688, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

1. In the meantime I have added a new option that can help with synths producing problems like this without forcing large overall delays in case of many SysEx messages. Namely there is a new option in Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog called Delay after Last SysEx chunk (that similarly to earlier options also affects all external SysEx files and Reset messages but not SysEx messages in Midi files themselves). You can give it a higher value without risking very long overall SysEx transfers in case of many SysEx chunks. So you can give the 'Delay between SysEx Chunks' parameter a smaller value (e.g. 20 ms) and only give 'Delay after Last SysEx chunk parameter a higher value like 250 ms in your case. This is better since in case of e.g. 10 consecutive SysEx messages in a .syx file you do not have to wait 2.5 sec for playback to start just 450 ms. (instead of 10 * 250 ms, just 10 * 20 ms + 250 ms). I hope it's clear.

Hi, i've tested and now I can record with motif Rack-es without trouble.
Thank you.

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 930 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MUNT VST English Horn
This Bug ?

Earlier me and others also thought that this was a bug but it proved to be a feature (it accurately emulates the hardware behavior). According to Serg some patches rely on this behavior and he also attached a recording of his CM-64 so you can check it here:
Munt - distorted patch sound?

Other news:
Munt VSTi 2.5 has been released

version 2.5

1. In case of x86 version added CPU dispatcher that loads SSE2 optimized emulation library when SS2 is supported. It can speed up floating point rendering mode substantially. The x64 version always use SS2 for floating point rendering. If you want to compare the x87 vs SSE2 performance simply rename/remove the new mt32emu4v_sse2.dll. If this file is missing then always the normal x87 version (mt32emu4v.dll) is loaded by the plugin.

2. Added multi-threaded dual synth mode option. Enabling this option can even double the performance in case of dual synth GM mode and multi-core CPUs. This option should be disabled in Win9x since multiple cores are not supported and threading overhead actually can decrease performance.

3. Added Nice Partial Mixing option that can help solving attenuated or completely missing notes problems in case of GM midis that do not expect the weird LA-32 behavior of counter-phase mixing. By default this option is disabled in MT-32 mode and enabled in GM mode but you can force enable/disable it manually.

4. For the sake of coherency the Reverse Stereo option now also has 3 states and behaves the same. Namely by default it's enabled in GM mode but disabled in MT-32 mode, but both ON and OFF states can be forced.

5. Other minor fixes and enhancements.

http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#munt_vsti

The soon to be released FSMP 5.7 will also contain this new Munt VSTi release.

Reply 931 of 1688, by DevanWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a bug reported in OPL3VSTI.
Patch 103 (Echo Drops) in the Fat Man bank is incorrect compared to the original Fat Man bank from Windows.
Here is an example file for OPL3VSTi to help correct this: http://buzzwood.com/midi/pg103.mid

Oh and remember to add a feature to MuntVSTi to disable dual-synth mode!

Last edited by DevanWolf on 2019-04-26, 00:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 932 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DevanWolf wrote:

There is a bug reported in OPL3VSTI.
Patch 103 (Echo Drops) in the Fat Man bank is missing.

It's not missing, but the attack time of the patch is rather big. For comparison you can try the Windows OPL3 synth by nukeykt:
Windows, Doom, Apogee OPL3 Synthesizer.
or the PGE Music Player by Wohlstand:
https://github.com/WohlSoft/PGE-Project/releases
Both use the 2op Fat Man bank as default bank and as you can hear both sound the same with your midi as OPL3VSTI's Fat Man bank.
But if you want an Echo Fx patch with shorter attack time here's one. You have to put the .sbi file into OPL3VSTi's folder:

Filename
Bank000_Patch102_EchoFx.zip
File size
177 Bytes
Downloads
86 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Oh and remember to add a feature to MuntVSTi to disable dual-synth mode!

I do not see any reason to do this. Neither in theory nor in practice can be any situations where dual synth mode sounds/behaves differently in case of regular MT-32 midis than a single synth.
If you have found such a problem please report it, since then it is really a bug. And if the additional channels are not used the performance is also the same, so there is no benefit here either.

Reply 933 of 1688, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The performance is probably not the same for a large amount of this forum’s user base who still use it on single core processors. Just looking out for those people still rocking their museum pieces.

Reply 934 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kode54 wrote:

The performance is probably not the same for a large amount of this forum’s user base who still use it on single core processors. Just looking out for those people still rocking their museum pieces.

Hi,
The performance is still the same even on single core processors with any midis that use only the channels available on a single synth (any MT-32 midis). Disabling the dual synth mode would result in difference only in case of non-MT-32 midis that use other channels. In this 2nd case in single synth mode those channels would remain completely silent, notes on that channels could not be heard at all. So it's questionable why anyone would want to play such (GM) midis at all in single synth mode since they would never sound correct. So I still do not see a reason why adding this option would make any sense.
If performance is a problem the available 'Maximum Partials' option is a much better choice for fine tuning.

@Edit. To be more clear:

compare.png
Filename
compare.png
File size
15.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So the 2nd synth (dual synth mode) is only active when it's really needed. When it's not needed it behaves exactly the same way as it would be 'disabled'. There is no need for an explicit 'disable' option.
In this sense the dual synth mode of MuntVSTi is completely different from the dual synth mode of OPL3VSTi. In case of OPL3VSTi all 16 channels are always active regardless of dual/single synth mode and the 2nd synth only improves maximum polyphony. That's why there is an explicit single/dual synth option in OPL3VSTi and there it does make sense.
The MuntVSTi equivalent of disabling dual synth mode in OPL3VSTi is actually halving 'Maximum Partials' (and not disabling dual synth mode).

Reply 935 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
version 5.7 of FSMP (together with MuntVsti 2.5) is released. The test zips are no longer available.
http://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

1. Added EMIDI style CC 118/119 global loop point support (e.g. some Duke Nukem 3D songs use it).

2. Added Midi file's Time Signature to main display (lower right corner).

3. Added 'Tempo Percent Fixed' option to right click context menu of Tempo track bar. By default tempo percent is reset when a new song is loaded. With this new option you can force the tempo for many files. It can be useful in case of Raptor mus files that do not use the mus standard 140 Hz timing but 70 Hz.

4. Added support for Midi files using SMPTE format for delta-times.

5. Added support for sending Midi Clock real time messages. This way FSMP can be used as a Master together with devices/software that can support real time sync messages as a Slave: https://youtu.be/bnTbNi6yPaE

6. Added 'Export Selected Midis to Folder' option to right click context menu of playlist. It can be used to transfer midi files at different locations to one place. But it can also be used as a batch converter since formats such as XMI, MUS, MDS, RMI are saved as MID format files at the new location.

7. Added the option of 1, 2, 3 sec. pause between songs to right click context menu of playlist.

8. Added 'SysEx Delay After Last Chunk' setting to Select/Send Custom SysEx dialog.

9. Added new versions of MuntVsti with significant performance improvements.

10. Other minor fixes and enhancements.

Reply 936 of 1688, by DevanWolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:
Hi, The performance is still the same even on single core processors with any midis that use only the channels available on a s […]
Show full quote

Hi,
The performance is still the same even on single core processors with any midis that use only the channels available on a single synth (any MT-32 midis). Disabling the dual synth mode would result in difference only in case of non-MT-32 midis that use other channels. In this 2nd case in single synth mode those channels would remain completely silent, notes on that channels could not be heard at all. So it's questionable why anyone would want to play such (GM) midis at all in single synth mode since they would never sound correct. So I still do not see a reason why adding this option would make any sense.
If performance is a problem the available 'Maximum Partials' option is a much better choice for fine tuning.

So the 2nd synth (dual synth mode) is only active when it's really needed. When it's not needed it behaves exactly the same way as it would be 'disabled'. There is no need for an explicit 'disable' option.
In this sense the dual synth mode of MuntVSTi is completely different from the dual synth mode of OPL3VSTi. In case of OPL3VSTi all 16 channels are always active regardless of dual/single synth mode and the 2nd synth only improves maximum polyphony. That's why there is an explicit single/dual synth option in OPL3VSTi and there it does make sense.
The MuntVSTi equivalent of disabling dual synth mode in OPL3VSTi is actually halving 'Maximum Partials' (and not disabling dual synth mode).

You could release a test version of MuntVSTi 2.6 which adds an opting for disabling dual synth mode meaning you can use single synth mode as desired.

Reply 937 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could release a test version of MuntVSTi 2.6 which adds an opting for disabling dual synth mode meaning you can use single synth mode as desired.

You still have not mentioned a single reason why...
It does not work this way. By not responding to any of the above arguments I can think that you just want it because you do not understand how dual synth mode works. First you should at least try to convince me by explaining why it is desired by you. No one want wants to work in vain for the sake of the irrational 'desires' of someone else. I hope you understand this.

Reply 938 of 1688, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DevanWolf
Now I to will show you as this work MUNT , what would you understand what sayd FalcoSoft
As you can see
https://yadi.sk/i/85UlNxsVSeKK6Q
MUNTVST use dual synth mode only if this real need )

Reply 939 of 1688, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcosoft
If possible , please do 32 bit float point in OPL3 GM synth ) beause this synth create noise about -63 dB. This not good and I wantin what would this noise no was be.