VOGONS

Reply 680 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately I do not think I will add this feature since it would require a complete rewrite. A sequencer/DAW is more suitable for this task.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 681 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, btw maybe in future. I know is it possible to implement this trough daw, and I even have Cubase 9.5 pro (but I'm noob enough, cubase is hard to use and I usually have time for that only in auggust when I'm on holiday 🙁 ), btw your software can provide immediate easy to use interface and batch capabilities too, as well as external synth can provide good sound without becaming crazy with Halion. As with a midipatch like m-audio midisport 8x8s you can have 8 midi output (and direct each output to an external synth) i just tried... Maybe you'll figure it out a fast way to implement it...
Thank You.
Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 682 of 1687, by SLON

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I understand it, MUNT VSTi does not have the ability to save his settings (to the .ini file, or so)?
Since when I load it via the VST MIDI driver (as an VST-port synthesizer), then with a subsequent MIDI-host request from any program, his settings are cleared, and accordingly instead of sound, just silence.

Reply 683 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It must be a VST Midi driver problem since Munt VSTi uses the same standard VST mechanism for loading/storing plugin settings as other VST plugins. Namely loading/saving plugin settings is a concern of the VST Host. The plugin only provides or gets its data through standard VST function calls like getChunk() and setChunk(). It works perfectly with other hosts such as FSMP, SAVIHost, Cubase, Reaper etc. If you manually want to save the plugin's setting usually you can do it through the host's interface (Save Plugin Bank or similar) and you will get an .fxb file.
You should test other VSTi plugins to find out if the settings saving problem is Munt VSTi specific on your system or not. For testing it's not enough if it sounds since most other plugins give some sound by default (Munt VSTI is an exception because of required ROM files) . You should alter some parameters on the plugin's interface an after restart check if the settings are preserved.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2018-05-17, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 684 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VST Midi Driver also have other compatibility problems:
Yamaha S-YXG50 Portable VSTi (a software MIDI synth)

May I suggest to use FSMP as a host if you want to use Munt VSTi even as a 'system wide default synth'. For system wide usage you only need a software midi cable such as loopmidi and loopmidi's port set as system default midi out port. Then you can enable loopmidi's midi input in FSMP's device settings dialog, and place a shortcut in Windows's startup folder to start midiplayer.exe with the /tray option.
This way midi player starts automatically loaded to system tray (and you can invoke it from the tray if you want). It's more flexible than VST Midi driver since the plugin's editor is 'alive' so you can change settings real-time and you can see channels/partials/notes etc. information. You can also use other VST effects together with Munt VSTi if you want (e.g. Loudmax). You can also swiftly change between diffrent VSTi plugins/internal Bassmidi with soundfonts etc. with the help of FSMP's configuration presets.

Reply 685 of 1687, by Dwedit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, thank you very much for this program!

I just have a small feature request. There's a tool called "GBA Mus Riper" by Bregalad that extracts GBA music files from GBA games, and outputs many MIDI files, and a single SF2 file into a single directory.

So I'd like to see a feature where it can automatically pick the only SF2 in the same directory as the default soundfont when playing MIDI files.

http://www.dwedit.org/

Reply 686 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dwedit wrote:

Hello, thank you very much for this program!

I just have a small feature request. There's a tool called "GBA Mus Riper" by Bregalad that extracts GBA music files from GBA games, and outputs many MIDI files, and a single SF2 file into a single directory.

So I'd like to see a feature where it can automatically pick the only SF2 in the same directory as the default soundfont when playing MIDI files.

I'm happy to say that this feature is already implemented. If you look at readme.html and search for 'folder.sf2' you will get this:

version 5.2
2. Added 'folder.sf2' support (folder wide real time loaded soundfont). Bank postfix can be used the same way as in case of midi + sf2 pairs.

So you only have to rename the generated sf2 file to folder.sf2 and all files in this folder will load the soundfont into the designated bank.
It's likely that you have to set 'Real time loaded SF2 bank' value from 1 to 0 in Device settings dialog's Bassmidi part (below the soundfonts list) since most modern converters do not follow the way Creative used custom soundfonts for demos and use bank 0 instead of 1. Another option if this is the case is to rename the generated sf2 file to folder_000.sf2 instead of folder.sf2

Reply 687 of 1687, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Zoltan. I only just became aware of your player! I had previously been using Van Basco's, and also foo_midi in foobar2000. I really like your software, it is very useful and versatile.
The ability to use VSTi's is great! Virtual synths take up so much less space than real ones. 😀

Question, would it be possible to implement some kind of history function for VST files? Maybe in a drop-down menu or something. Would make switching devices so much more convenient...
Anyway, just a thought, thanks again!

Last edited by Mikity on 2018-06-05, 04:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 688 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mikity wrote:
Hi Zoltan. I only just became aware of your player! I had previously been using Van Basco's, and also in_midi in foobar2000. […]
Show full quote

Hi Zoltan. I only just became aware of your player! I had previously been using Van Basco's, and also in_midi in foobar2000. I really like your software, it is very useful and versatile.
The ability to use VSTi's is great! Virtual synths take up so much less space than real ones. 😀

Question, would it be possible to implement some kind of history function for VST files? Maybe in a drop-down menu or something. Would make switching devices so much more convenient...
Anyway, just a thought, thanks again!

Hi,
I think what you really need is already implemented. The feature is called 'Configuration Presets'. You can save them by using Main menu->Storage of Settings-> Configuration Presets. This way you can save all the plugin configurations you use and load them back when you want. There are even shortcuts defined for easier loading of presets when you follow the naming convention described here:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player
So with Ctrl + Alt + P you can open the presets dialog or you can load a specific preset by Ctrl+ Alt + 'postfix number' (0 - 9)

If you really only need a history of loaded plugins, this feature is already implemented by MS in Windows 😀. When you load a plugin there's a combobox in the file select dialog where you can select the file (file name) of the plugin dll. Here you can find the the list of previously selected plugins.

Reply 689 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I almost forgot. You can also start FSMP with a specific configuration preset (after you have already created them properly). You should make FSMP shortcuts and add the command line switch: /preset {presetnum}.
E.g.: "midiplayer.exe /preset 0"

Reply 690 of 1687, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Hi,
I think what you really need is already implemented. The feature is called 'Configuration Presets'. You can save them by using Main menu->Storage of Settings-> Configuration Presets. This way you can save all the plugin configurations you use and load them back when you want.

OK, that's an improvement! A couple of three-key combos to remember, is all.... 😲

Falcosoft wrote:

If you really only need a history of loaded plugins, this feature is already implemented by MS in Windows 😀. When you load a plugin there's a combobox in the file select dialog where you can select the file (file name) of the plugin dll. Here you can find the the list of previously selected plugins.

This, on the other hand, blew my mind! 😵 Been using various incantations of Windows for decades, yet I never was aware of this one... Thanks again Zoltan for your detailed and helpful response. 😀

Reply 691 of 1687, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣, I find it funny that these guys are asking for features that I asked for and you implemented already.

also DWedit, I tend to name them folder_000.sf2, this way you don't need to configure anything in the settings.
Thanks again Zoltán for being such a good sport about feature requests.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 692 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
New test version is available. There are not so many new features or radical changes, rather some fixes and enhancements:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

1. Added heuristic to use bank 127 for drum kits in XG mode if bank 127 proves to be a drum bank (BASS_MIDI_FONT_XGDRUMS flag is set in Bassmidi). *
2. Added midi key numbers to right click display on virtual keyboard.
3. Added left/right arrow hotkeys to forward/rewind 5 sec. during playback.
4. Added separate PitchBend filter to DebugForm.
5. Selecting 'No Sound' output device no longer disables VST plugins/spectrum analyzer/etc.
6. Fixed file size info of soundfonts bigger than 2GB in Soundfont Info/Soundfont open dialog.
7. Added shortcut to Loop Settings and moved Configuration Presets one step upper in the menu tree.

*In a soundfont at least Bank 127 Preset 0 and Preset 8 should be implemented and they should be named to contain the string 'Standard' and 'Room' respectively for the bank to be recognized as a drum bank for XG mode (the names are not case sensitive so they can be 'Standard Kit' / 'STANDARD XG' and 'rOOM kit'/'XG Room' etc.)
The so called 'XG compatible' soundfonts I have met all satisfy these criteria, but in case of new home-made soundfonts you should follow this naming conventions. Typically GS soundfonts that implement bank 127 contain an MT-32 compatible bank here with Preset 0/8 names like 'Acou Piano / 'Elec Org' so the possibility of false positive detection converges to zero.
I don't believe in 'XG compatible' SF2 soundfonts as I have written before, but such soundfonts exist.
Soundfonts that mimic old hardware (SC-55, DX50XG, AWE64 Gold)
Just to be clear: by default bank 128 (the official SF2 drum bank) is used as a drum bank even in XG mode (when a channel is set to use bank 127) so XG midis worked and still work even in XG mode with a GM/GS soundfont.

There was a discussion about this 'XG drums' situation on VMS forum:
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/forum/thread/646

Reply 693 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a reference if someone is interested in using FSMP to play MT-32 midis. Other FSMP related useful information can also be found in the topic. Actually it can be considered a mini FAQ:
Ways to make your MT-32 MIDIs sound right

Reply 694 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Hi,
New test version is available. There are not so many new features or radical changes, rather some fixes and enhancements:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_54_test.zip

I'm going to try this soon.
I would like to ask you something as i've seen the great feature conbcerning MOD.
I'm trying to load Amiga module and playback, and everything works fine.
Since the conversion is perfect my first though was to upgrade some instruments... so I've used mod2midi inside the software directory and i've correctly generated the midi... but... it'a 4 track with tons of program change per track.
What I would like to ask... as a lot of .mod file hjas less than 16 sound, can you create a midi non in 4 tracks, but separating a track for each sound? That would be really a great feature to enanche some sound.
For example in this mod, there's a sound for piano, bass and trumpet that would be easy to replace with higher quality instruments, to create an upgraded version... i could use OpenMPT to check the sample and Cubase to load Your software generated sf2 for all trracks, and then replace for example some sound with Halion set. Thank you for your help.
Aldo

Attachments

• Filename
    SWIV_HISCORE.rar
    File size
    72.79 KiB
    Downloads
    102 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 695 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Since the conversion is perfect my first though was to upgrade some instruments... so I've used mod2midi inside the software directory and i've correctly generated the midi... but... it'a 4 track with tons of program change per track.

The converted midi is 4 track since your Amiga module is also 4 track and this is the most authentic/compatible and least error prone representation of the original (that also changes instruments many times on a track). 16 track MODs would result in 16 track midi files. Also this is the least resource hungry representation. Otherwise some complex 16+ track MODs can result in hundreds of midi tracks...

What I would like to ask... as a lot of .mod file hjas less than 16 sound, can you create a midi non in 4 tracks, but separating a track for each sound? That would be really a great feature to enanche some sound.

Ok, here's an experimental version that can split midi tracks by MOD instrument and also by MOD track/instrument. There are 2 additional command line arguments to set these flags.
http://falcosoft.hu/mod2midi_test.zip

Note: because these experimental representations have no advantages in the context of FSMP's MOD playback I have no plan to improve them. If they are better for you in this form then I'm glad, if not I'm sorry...
You can check how the different representations actually look like by opening the Midi Text/Lyrics dialog of FSMP and inspecting the lower pane.

For example in this mod, there's a sound for piano, bass and trumpet that would be easy to replace with higher quality instruments, to create an upgraded version... i could use OpenMPT to check the sample and Cubase to load Your software generated sf2 for all trracks, and then replace for example some sound with Halion set. Thank you for your help.

I don't think it's so easy to replace MOD instruments by instruments from soundfonts. In case of MODs sometimes instruments are not 'in tune' in respect of absolute pitches and also drums/percussion work completely differently. But I wish you luck 😀

Reply 697 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI,
Finally I've finished exams for this summer si I've had time to try your file but i think I've some issue ort I'm doing some error. I've read the command line help so, i've done something like this...

...\MidiPlayer5\mod2midi.exe ...\mod\agony\agonyintro.mod ...\mod\agony\ 0 0 1
and
...\MidiPlayer5\mod2midi.exe ...\mod\agony\agonyintro.mod ...\mod\agony\ 0 1 0

Assuming this second sets, would provide per instruments division, as i've read
<use drum channel[0/1]> <by inst[0/1]> <by track[0/1]>

But i still see tons of program changes inside? What i'm doing wrong? I'm using an easy to upgrade midi as it has few instruments...Intro of Agony Theme... I'm going to upload.

Really thank you for your time and your help.

Aldo

Attachments

• Filename
    agonyintro.rar
    File size
    84.37 KiB
    Downloads
    83 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 698 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at those program changes closer 😀 . With the new flags set you are granted to have the same instrument per track. Since I have only changed the organization not the core conversion yes, you have many redundant program change messages per track. But contrary to default conversion where you can get sequences like:
PC# 1... PC# 3 ... PC# x on one track with the new flags you will get PC# 1... PC# 1 ... PC# 1 on one track.
This should not prevent you to assign a single instrument to a single track. There are midi software that can optimize redundant messages in midi files such as GNMIDI. You can use it if redundant program change messages really bother you. I will not write a 'pretty convert' version since it's totally irrelevant for me.

Reply 699 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI, Ok, so I'm going to check for this GN Midi, because in this way with synthfont or cubase (if I use Halion) i still have some issue because after the first instrument assignet then i go back to de default and as is not general midi conversion won't work. I really hope GN midi will work in pair with your mod. Thank you.
Aldo