VOGONS

Reply 1220 of 1699, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, i agree, even though portable mode programs shouldn't write to registry, there's no other way around making it work in Wiindows (other than creating a shortcut in the Startup folder). I personally love that option because i use FSMP with S-YXG50 loaded into it as my main system wide MIDI synthesiser and want it always running.

Reply 1221 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
As you know with the unfortunate business move of Roland that 32-bit SC-VA is no longer legally available (the Roland Cloud only offers the 64-bit version) there is a less than optimal situation now. Namely 2 of the most popular VSTi plugins that emulates historical hardware exist either as a 32-bit only (S-YXG50) or a 64-bit only (SC-VA) plugin. Of course you can use both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of FSMP simultaneously on the same PC so you can use both plugins, but it would be more ideal if you can use both plugins with one version of FSMP.
JBridge could be the solution but after a short testing it has become obvious that bridged plugins do not handle SysEx messages at all.
Both above mentioned plugins offer extensive customization and effects through Midi SysEx messages and are virtually non-functioning without SysEx support.
I have contacted Joao (the author of JBridge) about this problem. We currently have an intensive conversation and he promised he will implement SysEx support as far as possible.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1222 of 1699, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is just a loose suggestion, but maybe you could use the code of VST bridge adapted from OpenMPT? It's big plus is that it's open source so you could modify it yourself to your needs. Code in question: https://github.com/OpenMPT/openmpt/tree/master/pluginBridge

Reply 1223 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meowdori wrote on 2021-06-27, 03:34:

This is just a loose suggestion, but maybe you could use the code of VST bridge adapted from OpenMPT? It's big plus is that it's open source so you could modify it yourself to your needs. Code in question: https://github.com/OpenMPT/openmpt/tree/master/pluginBridge

It seems that PluginBridge has no language independent C interface. It uses native C++ classes everywhere. FSMP is written in Delphi/Pascal and it is not trivial to translate thousands of lines of C++ code. So actually It would mean writing a complete new implementation with unavoidable bugs etc.
JBridge is a well known , tested and long tried solution and does not require any modifications form the host side.

Reply 1226 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. I have some good news. Joao has sent me a JBridge test version that works with SysEx messages. Although I'm not allowed to share this test version.
Meanwhile I have added direct JBridge support to FSMP (more precisely to Bass_VST) so you can try the 'future experience' even with the current JBridge version that is downloadable from
https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
Added direct JBridge support means that after you have installed JBridge you do not have to create 'bridged' VST plugins manually. You can use the same plugins either with the x86 or the x64 versions of FSMP. Bridging happens automatically at run-time.
Some observation for the future:
It's better to use the 32-bit only S-YXG50 plugin with the x64 version of FSMP than using the 64-bit only SC-VA with the x86 version of FSMP. The S-YXG50 plugin is more light weight and less problematic in bridged mode overall.
If you still want to use 64-bit SC-VA with x86 version of FSMP you have to activate 'Switch to separate GUI mode' option in JBridge's option dialog.

2. I have also added options to associate VST effects with Bassmidi's chorus(CC#93) and reverb(CC#91) controllers besides the already available userfx(CC#94) controller.

3. Fixed x64 version specific problem that Midi file duration is not calculated on playlist when theme support is disabled in Main menu ->Appearance.

You can download the new test version from here:
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_61_test.zip

Reply 1227 of 1699, by wyatt8740

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

I didn't know where else to ask this, but I have a friend who's been using your Munt VSTi plugin, and his MIDI keyboard doesn't have any way to do Program Change messages. If public source code existed for the plugin, I'd do it myself, but I wanted to know either:

a) If I could have a copy of the source code for the Munt VSTi so I could tweak it for him
or, barring that:
b) If you could add something to the GUI for the Munt VSTi to allow changing the instruments for different channels.

Thanks for the stuff you've done, in any case.

I don't really need that functionality myself, since I run Linux and just use ALSA with a PCM loopback device to handle everything (and an Atari ST emulator to make patches). But he'd really appreciate it, from the Windows environment which doesn't provide as much in the way of handy loopback devices and a VST-centric setup.

Reply 1228 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wyatt8740 wrote on 2021-07-09, 15:23:
Hey, […]
Show full quote

Hey,

I didn't know where else to ask this, but I have a friend who's been using your Munt VSTi plugin, and his MIDI keyboard doesn't have any way to do Program Change messages. If public source code existed for the plugin, I'd do it myself, but I wanted to know either:

a) If I could have a copy of the source code for the Munt VSTi so I could tweak it for him
or, barring that:
b) If you could add something to the GUI for the Munt VSTi to allow changing the instruments for different channels.

Thanks for the stuff you've done, in any case.

I don't really need that functionality myself, since I run Linux and just use ALSA with a PCM loopback device to handle everything (and an Atari ST emulator to make patches). But he'd really appreciate it, from the Windows environment which doesn't provide as much in the way of handy loopback devices and a VST-centric setup.

Hi,
1. Sorry, but it's not open source.
2. I know no such hosts on Windows that could not send program change messages from their own interface. What host your friend uses? Here's how your friend can do this with Cubase and Cakewalk:
MUNT VSTi - How to change patches assigned to channels
BTW I'm hesitating to add this feature since Munt VSTi's primarily purpose is to add MT-32 support for my midi player that has a program change control. So adding another one (and keep them in sync etc.) would be redundant and much work for nothing.
May I suggest that your friend should use the plugin with my player? It also has Midi input and special hotkeys (besides the GUI control) to send program change messages (Main menu -> Patch Change Hotkeys).

Reply 1230 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pachuco wrote on 2021-07-26, 12:31:

Is there any option to turn off playlist adding behaviour when opening a file before certain amount of time has elapsed since last file was open?

Hi.
No, since I see no practical reason for it. This 'certain amount of time' is only 2 sec. Are you able to preview a Midi file and want to load the next one within 2 seconds?

Reply 1231 of 1699, by pachuco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-07-26, 13:06:

Is there any option to turn off playlist adding behaviour when opening a file before certain amount of time has elapsed since last file was open?

Hi.
No, since I see no practical reason for it. This 'certain amount of time' is only 2 sec. Are you able to preview a Midi file and want to load the next one within 2 seconds?

Yes, I preview midis quickly until I decide for one to listen to.
Or maybe I want to quickly go through midis to evaluate a midi synth/soundfont.

Reply 1232 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pachuco wrote on 2021-07-26, 18:26:
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-07-26, 13:06:

Hi.

Yes, I preview midis quickly until I decide for one to listen to.
Or maybe I want to quickly go through midis to evaluate a midi synth/soundfont.

OK. Since I really think that this is a special need (and also requires special skills 😉 ) I did not do a GUI element for this.
But you can modify the new 'LoadFileDelay' value either in registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\falcosoft\MidiPlayer) or in midiplayer.ini (FSMP's own folder) depending on how you use MidiPlayer (Main menu -> Storage of Settings).
You should change its value to 0 from default 2000.
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_61_test.zip

Reply 1235 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meowdori wrote on 2021-07-27, 15:48:

Updated the version archive with versions 5.8 and 6.0 https://archive.org/details/falcosoft-midi-player

Thanks!

Reply 1237 of 1699, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using it lately and find it wonderful. The only issue I have is that it doesn't work well with the CoolSoft VMS and MIDI Mapper and seems to get "disconnected" from it, despite the configuration listing it as an option. By that, I mean that I'll use it (or get it working after changing the player config a few times) and it will be working, then I exit it and restart it later and I get no sound from the VMS, so I have to use the built-in soundfont MIDI option through Bass.

Reply 1238 of 1699, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, I just let the player sit unused for a bit, with Bass MIDI enabled, and the same problem happened, the MIDI didn't work. Then I changed the config to the MS GS Wavetable and it worked, then I changed it back to VMS and it was non-existent again and then the CS MIDI Mapper, which also didn't work. It seems like there's an issue with the Bass software, which VMS is derived from and the player implements on it's own.

Reply 1239 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-08-01, 19:46:

Okay, I just let the player sit unused for a bit, with Bass MIDI enabled, and the same problem happened, the MIDI didn't work. Then I changed the config to the MS GS Wavetable and it worked, then I changed it back to VMS and it was non-existent again and then the CS MIDI Mapper, which also didn't work. It seems like there's an issue with the Bass software, which VMS is derived from and the player implements on it's own.

I could not reproduce your issue with Coolsoft VMS/Bassmidi on my test PCs. All worked well even after an hour. No one else reported such a problem either. So more info would be useful. E.g. OS version, soundcard type, output mode (Directsound, WASAPI) etc. And you should also test what happens when you use VMS with other Midi software (e.g. WMP or Van Basco) for a long time. When own Bassmidi/VST mode is not enabled in FSMP then it does not even load the Bass libraries so such conflict with VMS is not likely.
Also it would be useful if you describe with more detail what 'Midi didn't work' means: you get an error, or it seems to be playing but you do not hear sound etc. And how much time a bit (in 'sit unused a bit') means exactly.