VOGONS


Reply 21 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ there might be a way soon-ish to make a PAL 1084S-P1 ntsc compatible - changing the PAL decoder to the NTSC counterpart and adding/replacing some passive components. It's been under investigation from a more knowledgeable person, if it is a success I'll make a detailed post about the conversion. 😀
This would allow us to have a single monitor for TTL rgb, ntsc compatible composite/svhs inputs and a nice 15khz analog rgb monitor 😁

cT89QGt.gif Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 wanted , click me for AmiBay ad!

Reply 23 of 56, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@NY00123: to complement your PKCF post, I'll do a blog entry with some more details on the code... might help source/binary modders, I guess. Note that I didn't repack CKPATCH, only removed the existing UPX compression (I believe that UPX should have a 8088-friendly depacker option, but I haven't tested that yet).

@bjt: interesting -- that's a hXc setup indeed 😁 Is your CGA card a 'new-style' one, by the way? Might explain the extra saturation, although I guess that could just be the camera.

@keropi:

keropi wrote:

on a V20/10mhz the game is very playable

Nice to know! Was wondering about the minimum CPU requirements for acceptable performance (the 'typical' system that ran this game would've been a high-end 286/low-end 386SX, but those systems are unlikely to have CGA cards, let alone true IBM ones for correct colors).

web  /   blog   /   tube

Reply 24 of 56, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

Is your CGA card a 'new-style' one, by the way? Might explain the extra saturation, although I guess that could just be the camera

Yep, new style CGA. I have a V20 in my 5160 but it's too slow for this game really.

Reply 25 of 56, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fun fact, the game might run on an 8088, but the self-extractors crash (K4C1-ASP.EXE and K4C2-ASP.EXE). 🤣

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread
[retro swim] | Link | Release Thread
Regular silliness on Twitch!! www.twitch.tv/RetroSwim (8PM Mon, Wed, Sat AEST)

Reply 26 of 56, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this composite version works as well with the video out from EGA cards?
(like this one www.retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_genoa_ega.html)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 27 of 56, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I capped* some gameplay footage, including toggling between RGBI and Composite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqXdndLIgw

* Shot my PVM monitor with my phone camera!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread
[retro swim] | Link | Release Thread
Regular silliness on Twitch!! www.twitch.tv/RetroSwim (8PM Mon, Wed, Sat AEST)

Reply 28 of 56, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Does this composite version works as well with the video out from EGA cards?
(like this one www.retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_genoa_ega.html)

No, unless you connect a board to the feature connector to create an NTSC composite signal.
Could be a nice project for someone.

Reply 29 of 56, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

@keropi:

keropi wrote:

on a V20/10mhz the game is very playable

Nice to know! Was wondering about the minimum CPU requirements for acceptable performance (the 'typical' system that ran this game would've been a high-end 286/low-end 386SX, but those systems are unlikely to have CGA cards, let alone true IBM ones for correct colors).

I wish i could try it on my 12MHz V20 but i don't have a real IBM CGA card.

Anyway VileR this is awesome. Thank you sir!

Reply 30 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ you really need to invest in one if you are serious about xt+cga stuff Carlos , there is no alternative sadly

SquallStrife 's video inspired me to make a quick video too, quality is not that great but you get to see how it performs with a 10mhz V20 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOIdin3I4U

cT89QGt.gif Amstrad PC7486SLC-33 wanted , click me for AmiBay ad!

Reply 32 of 56, by NY00123

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
VileRancour wrote:

@NY00123: to complement your PKCF post, I'll do a blog entry with some more details on the code... might help source/binary modders, I guess. Note that I didn't repack CKPATCH, only removed the existing UPX compression (I believe that UPX should have a 8088-friendly depacker option, but I haven't tested that yet).

Good to see you intend to write these details. Here is the PCKF topic for reference: www.pckf.com/viewtopic.php?t=3656

Regarding UPX, I've mistakenly assumed that you've used such an option of UPX. My copy of UPX appears to have an --8086 option, but since it's not exactly "8088", I don't know for sure if it'll be useful.

To the ones who wonder, I'll quick add that in addition to CKPatch, ModId (the Windows EXE currently available from https://github.com/owenmpierce/modId) was used for importing the graphics. While the patch takes advantage of CGA mode 6 (640x200x2colors), rather than mode 4 (320x200x4 colors) as usual, the graphics' layouts are more-or-less the same.

Reply 33 of 56, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ you really need to invest in one if you are serious about xt+cga stuff Carlos , there is no alternative sadly

SquallStrife 's video inspired me to make a quick video too, quality is not that great but you get to see how it performs with a 10mhz V20 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAOIdin3I4U

Quite the difference!

From what I understand, the EGA/VGA version should run a lot better, as the CGA version is quite CPU intensive.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread
[retro swim] | Link | Release Thread
Regular silliness on Twitch!! www.twitch.tv/RetroSwim (8PM Mon, Wed, Sat AEST)

Reply 34 of 56, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

I capped* some gameplay footage, including toggling between RGBI and Composite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqXdndLIgw

Heh, kind of surprising - the PVM preserves the 'stripy' appearance of the RGB picture even in composite mode, which probably means that its luma decoding bandwidth covers higher frequencies than usual. Guess I didn't consider such high-end equipment!
Curiously the game looks quite a bit faster than in Trixter's video... that *is* a stock 5150, though?

bjt wrote:
elianda wrote:

Does this composite version works as well with the video out from EGA cards?
(like this one www.retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_genoa_ega.html)

No, unless you connect a board to the feature connector to create an NTSC composite signal.

and potentially get 65,536 composite colors from EGA's 640x200x16 mode... hmm. 😁

keropi wrote:

SquallStrife 's video inspired me to make a quick video too, quality is not that great but you get to see how it performs with a 10mhz V20 😀

Hey, that actually looks like optimal speed, or close enough anyway. Cool. 😀

NY00123 wrote:

Regarding UPX, I've mistakenly assumed that you've used such an option of UPX. My copy of UPX appears to have an --8086 option, but since it's not exactly "8088", I don't know for sure if it'll be useful.

Just standard terminology (the 8088 will run any 8086 code), so yeah, that's the option to use.

web  /   blog   /   tube

Reply 35 of 56, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome work! Congratulations on a job well done.
I've tested this patch on my "CGA" card and I'm glad to say it works. 😁
Scrolling is fine so far, just the colours are a bit funny, not to say funky.
But maybe that's either because of my setup or Billy hasn't seen a doctor in a while. 😀

cEWAEEw.jpg

b2kZYsB.jpg

xysm8co.jpg

YKN6h3S.jpg

ee5wJc0.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 36 of 56, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
NY00123 wrote:

Regarding UPX, I've mistakenly assumed that you've used such an option of UPX. My copy of UPX appears to have an --8086 option, but since it's not exactly "8088", I don't know for sure if it'll be useful.

Just standard terminology (the 8088 will run any 8086 code), so yeah, that's the option to use.

Yes, to elaborate on that: The 8088 is basically an '8086SX' in the same sense as the 80386SX.
It is the same CPU, on a smaller bus. So for applications there is no difference between an 8088 and 8086. The 8086 can just be a bit faster because it has a 16-bit bus, where the 8088 has an 8-bit bus.
So in programming parlance people generally refer to the '8086 instructionset', rather than 8088. But they are both the same.

scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it-r ... ogramming/

Reply 37 of 56, by VileR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Awesome work! Congratulations on a job well done.
I've tested this patch on my "CGA" card and I'm glad to say it works. 😁
Scrolling is fine so far, just the colours are a bit funny, not to say funky.

Yep, that's about what I expected a non-IBM card to do. I'm actually curious to know just what this card is -- could be an interesting data point for future experiments (hue is about 50° off), plus that text mode font could be a nice addition to my oldskool PC font pack thing...

web  /   blog   /   tube

Reply 38 of 56, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

I capped* some gameplay footage, including toggling between RGBI and Composite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVqXdndLIgw

Heh, kind of surprising - the PVM preserves the 'stripy' appearance of the RGB picture even in composite mode, which probably means that its luma decoding bandwidth covers higher frequencies than usual. Guess I didn't consider such high-end equipment!
Curiously the game looks quite a bit faster than in Trixter's video... that *is* a stock 5150, though?

Stock except for the Lo-tech 1MB RAM board!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread
[retro swim] | Link | Release Thread
Regular silliness on Twitch!! www.twitch.tv/RetroSwim (8PM Mon, Wed, Sat AEST)

Reply 39 of 56, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

Awesome work! Congratulations on a job well done.
I've tested this patch on my "CGA" card and I'm glad to say it works. 😁
Scrolling is fine so far, just the colours are a bit funny, not to say funky.

Yep, that's about what I expected a non-IBM card to do. I'm actually curious to know just what this card is -- could be an interesting data point for future experiments (hue is about 50° off), plus that text mode font could be a nice addition to my oldskool PC font pack thing...

Whew! I'm glad you're not angry about my pictures.
I've been a huge Keen4 fan and just had to test this awesome patch myself on the hardware I have!
The pictures were taken from a cheap LCD monitor, which claims to be multi standard (PAL/NTSC/SECAM).
I wished I still had my Commodore 1702 monitor, so I could have provided you with higher quality pictures.
Or any other old school monitor with a comb filter..

My setup:
386DX-40 with turbo brake enabled, caches disabled.
Epson Model Q205A ("CGA" card with mono/colour switch)
Philips 15PF4121

Here's a picture of my CGA wanna-be and a dump from that crystal memory.
I hope they're useful. I've tried to capture the resistors as best as I could.

Attachments

  • Filename
    epson_cga.zip
    File size
    3.92 KiB
    Downloads
    26 downloads
    File comment
    Epson Model Q205A control program/font
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Q205A.jpg
    Filename
    Q205A.jpg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    1151 views
    File comment
    Epson Model Q205A graphics card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//