VOGONS

UniPCemu emulator releases

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 48, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a bit difficult, seeing as it's either unmodified 8x8(like on the PSP builds, where it originated) or stretched to fullscreen on Android(which stretches the character mapping to fullscreen instead). Windows builds use the 8x8 fonts as well, it's currently hardcoded into the display renderer, as well as being optimized for that(as it's a simple shift mapping to the character display like a VGA). It can be increased to 8x16(double the height, same width) using the VGA font, but that will require the renderer to be modified a lot to support that.

I'm currently still looking into the issues with Android devices(audio issues(at least during playback through the music player having a humming noise mixed in oddly enough(on Android only. PC builds show no issues)) and low cycle count issues(<4kHz cycle accurate and <3kIPS on 80486 and related speeds on 80386- seems to crash the emulator for unknown reasons).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 43 of 48, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SA1988 wrote on 2021-11-07, 11:01:

Do the et4000w32i drivers glitch here under NT 3.51? Just curious.

Afaik 3.51 still has first boot issues like 4.0 has (resetting the CPU manually through the 8042).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 45 of 48, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SA1988 wrote on 2022-02-19, 21:22:

What about NT 3.1 with third party drivers (w32, not plain et4000ax)?

I didn't check NT 3.1 with the ET4000/W32 yet. Afaik NT 3.1 is still the only Windows NT version that currently boots.

Currently still checking with Windows 95 because it's giving error 10 on the ATA primary/secondary controllers with any PCI configuration on the latest commits, for some weird reason(can't figure out why). I did add DMA bus mastering to it in the latest commits, as well as full PCI support(IRQs having been added). It didn't do that at the last changes. IRQs seem to run properly, from what I can see(it can actually boot), but the error 10 in device manager and it's missing drives in there(no primary or secondary drives, with them being in compatibility mode for some weird reason(it didn't do that before) is weird?).

The ET4000/W32 itself runs fine (except some reset error in the diagnostic software for the W32 chip on MS-DOS) in Windows 95/98(including full hardware acceleration).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 46 of 48, by SA1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, how do I get unipcemu boot from hdd? I set it to boot from hdd without xtide in the boot order from settings.ini, set t to use my NT 3.1 raw img hdd image, as well as the cpu (Pentium), however, it still doesn't execute anything, what do I press to make it boot properly? Also, what bios image is required for the Pentium i430fx machine the emulator expects?
And no manual chs geometry setting?
Note that I've checked your tutorial out but it isn't very clear.

Reply 47 of 48, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SA1988 wrote on 2022-02-19, 22:23:

Also, how do I get unipcemu boot from hdd? I set it to boot from hdd without xtide in the boot order from settings.ini, set t to use my NT 3.1 raw img hdd image, as well as the cpu (Pentium), however, it still doesn't execute anything, what do I press to make it boot properly? Also, what bios image is required for the Pentium i430fx machine the emulator expects?
And no manual chs geometry setting?
Note that I've checked your tutorial out but it isn't very clear.

The HDD has automatic geometry detection, defaulting to optimized mode(maximum utilized geometry for the disk image that fits). If you create a file with the filename <imagefilenamewithextension>.bochs.txt it will use Bochs-compatible geometry. Doing the same for *.unipcemu.txt will make it use the old optimized mode of the early UniPCemu builds (just a compatibility thing).

For compatibility with Dosbox/Bochs, the *.bochs.txt is adviced. The dynamic disk image (*.sfdimg) files have said setting inside their file itself, so they don't use external files.
You can easily create Bochs-geometry(16 heads, 63 sectors/track) images from the settings menu. You can use the PSP-mapped square button(depends on the input device used, see the manual's controls page) on the static/dynamic disk image creation to make it use the optimimized format instead. The old geometry can't be createn anymore, unless manually(create a static disk image or convert a dynamic to a static image, then replace the .bochs.txt file with .unipcemu.txt to make it the old format. You can convert it back to sfdimg after that to make an old-style geometry sfdimg file). Removing a .bochs.txt and/or .unipcemu.txt makes a static disk image use the newer optimized format. The bochs txt file has priority over .unipcemu.txt .

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 48 of 48, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As for the i430fx ROM I'm using, it's the Apollo 5728P ROM (mentioned at i430fx/i440fx motherboard emulation issues?). Also found inside 86box-ROMs apollo folder.

The i440fx one is the "[i440FX] ASUS P/I-P65UP5 (C-P6ND)" from 86box, which is it's nd6i0218.awd ROM in it's ROM repo p65up5 folder.

The compaq deskpro 386/AT(2nd revision) ones are also there. The XT one I use is the generic super pc/turbo XT BIOS 3.1, from phatcode.net (open source). It's public domain, according to Plasma(also distributed with the MTM Scientific 5150 Motherboard Kit(http://www.mtmscientific.com/pc-retro.html).

Although for AT I use the dumps for the rev 2 from minuszerodegrees. The quick start guide mentions the custom overclocking currently required for that one (documented 7200 cycles, current commits and releases exactly 4808 cycles).

UniPCemu Git repository