VOGONS

Reply 40 of 46, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, but It only works on Vortex 2's.

I know it wasn't asked but I would like to clarify that error message a bit.
ASP403 was the original chip name before Aureal renamed them to the AU8830. This was due to china treating 8 as a lucky number and 4 as unlucky. Their Chinese market partners were very pleased with this change.

The Vortex 2 Aureal Sound Processor 4th gen revision 03 (ASP403) now appeared as AUreal double Lucky rev 3.0 (AU8830) with sub revisions A2 and B0 markings.

Pretty neat bit of history isn't it?

Reply 41 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is very interesting.

The DOS drivers seem to function identically between these two chips, aside from them requiring the specific version for the Vortex 1 and Vortex 2. What are the technical reasons preventing your mixer from working with the Vortex 1?

Also, if you are aware of a way to disable FM synthesis, I have another question elsewhere on the forum:

Can the Aureal DOS drivers be modified to not use FM synthesis?

Reply 42 of 46, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the mixer, but my Diamond Monster MX300 keeps resetting the mixer settings at random when I launch different games. The side-effect is that the line-in becomes muted when it resets to 0x1F1F.

Any idea why this is?

Reply 43 of 46, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-15, 16:21:

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the mixer, but my Diamond Monster MX300 keeps resetting the mixer settings at random when I launch different games. The side-effect is that the line-in becomes muted when it resets to 0x1F1F.

Any idea why this is?

I have not tested it on Vortex but maybe problem is that it accepts Sound Blaster compatible mixer resets and after a reset the line-in volume is 0. So in games such as Gabriel Knight that first sends a reset and then adjusts SB mixer volumes you cannot hear anything from line-in. I had a similar problem with ESS cards but there the problem was a special source (AuxB) that initially was not saved/fixed by Midito. Line-in is saved/fixed by default so you can be lucky and can use Midito without any Vortex specific addition:
MIDIto r12 (Midi and FM redirection, Mixer locking, Sound Blaster fixes)
command line: Midito.com -lock

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 44 of 46, by RetroTechChris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-14, 15:56:

Does this not work with the Vortex 1 AU8820? My Turtle Beach Aureal card mutes the wavetable header in DOS. I can use Vortmix to unmute it but it's unstable.

Why I try using au30mix, I get an error:

*** ASP403 card not detected ***

Old post, I know I know. But I have a valuable answer. For Vortex 1 AU8820, try this, it works for me: https://www.bttr-software.de/products/sbmix/

Reply 45 of 46, by Snoozer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Such an awesome tool with the latest line-in change, removing the need for an external mixer when multiple sound cards are used. Any chance the capabilities could be expanded to include the internal AUX connector too? Currently I have to sacrifice the CD connection if I want to connect sound cards internally.

Reply 46 of 46, by squeeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RetroTechChris wrote on 2024-03-02, 18:28:
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-14, 15:56:

Does this not work with the Vortex 1 AU8820? My Turtle Beach Aureal card mutes the wavetable header in DOS. I can use Vortmix to unmute it but it's unstable.

Why I try using au30mix, I get an error:

*** ASP403 card not detected ***

Old post, I know I know. But I have a valuable answer. For Vortex 1 AU8820, try this, it works for me: https://www.bttr-software.de/products/sbmix/

Thanks for posting this, I was just looking for a mixer to use with my Vortex 1. I'm curious what mixer they were linking to here (the redirect is broken)...

- FX-6300/ R9 290x/Sound Blaster X-Fi (Win7)
- Pentium III/Matrox G400 Max/Aureal Vortex 2 (Win98)
- Celeron/Radeon 9250/SB Live! (Win95)
- MT32-pi, Roland SC-88, Yamaha MU500