VOGONS

First post, by cyx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first public version of raw has been released.

raw is a reimplementation of the engine used in the game Another World / Out of this World. It is designed as a cross-platform replacement for the original executable and requires the original datafiles of the DOS version.

You can grab the source and/or the win32 binary here : http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/raw.

Reply 1 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great job! 😁 Although I haven't tried it yet...

A few questions/comments:
1. Will you be integrating this with SCUMMVM?
2. Have you taken a look at any of the other ports? (SNES, Apple IIGS, DOS, Windows 3.1, Amiga, Sega Genesis, 3DO, Macintosh). So many ports, you'd think there's a shared engine between some of them... And you could find the differences between them (if any), as SCUMMVM has done for some of its games.
3. The Brits will kill you if you don't get Another World working too.

If you decide not to host this on SourceForge, we may be interested in hosting a support forum or something.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yah, there's also the Sega CD version (Out of This World 2 - Heart of the Alien, including Out of This World as well)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 9, by cyx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To Stiletto,

I don't think this will be added to ScummVM, as it isn't a classic point and click adventure game.

Concerning other versions/ports, I am pretty sure the engine remain the same. The executable bundled with the PC DOS version is a simple interpreter of pseudo-bytecode, which is a very portable approach (raw does exactly the same). To answer your question, no, I haven't look at any other versions, simply because I don't have access to them...

As of the forum thing, I'll see if there is a true interest in this program, and if so, I may open a sourceforge project for it.

Reply 6 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I read this on the page:

I just received a mail from Eric Chahi, the original author of Another World. 
It seems there are undergoing plans to re-release the game in the future.
Because it's open-source, you'll understand this rewritten engine is kinda problematic.
As I don't want to compromise anything, the project is over.

Leaves me with a mixed feeling.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 9, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's just mad!

What tech would be carried over from a game this old? NONE whatsoever. If someone would have come clean and said 'stop, I don't want you to do this' then that'd be fine and dandy 🙁