eDuke32 for Win95

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dracolich wrote on 2023-09-25, 22:59:

Thank you, DosFreak. My desktop resolution is 1024x768 with 32-bit color. The launcher has not appeared yet, only the error, so it hasn't created a config yet. I've tried the eduke32 files from its own folder as well as from in the duke3d game folder.

Edit: Thanks for the tip + link about the DOS HRP. I'll try it 😉

I've been unable to re-create the error and I've verified that the launcher works on even the original Windows 95 (even without a video card with OGL drivers)
Considering that at startup it's loading dependencies and possibly checking audio and video (Haven't checked the code) and the only time I've seen those runtime errors in eduke32 are with video I'm thinking it's a video issue.

Things to try:
Verify that OGL works in other games. Below are some ports for games better treated by ports than Duke3D:
*Can't remember which ones have software, D3D, OGL support, mostly likely zdoom but hey even if they don't support OGL more games to play!

Descent
DXX-Retro (d2x-rebirth-retro) which requires:
DXX-Rebirth_Setup 0.58.1

Diablo
devilution-0.10.0

DOSBox 0.74-3
*Switch to opengl in dosbox.conf

Doom engine ports
Doom3116
Vavoom1.27.1
gzdoom-bin-1-1-04
zdoom-2.4.0
ZDoom_CL_2.1.4a
Chocolate-Doom-2.3.0
Crispy-doom_3.2
Rude-2.5.0c
ZDoom_LE_2.8.1f_win95
ee-3.40.37

Duke Nukem
reduke_beta4

Hexen 2
hexen2-1.5.9-win32

Shadow Warrior
jfsw_20051009
swp426.zip

Quake
Quakespasm-0.90.1
Tyrquake-0.66-win32
darkplacesengine20110328beta2
proquake_493

Quake 2
kvmquake2_020_update6

Older versions of eduke32 for Win95 in this thread and the SVN version it's based off of

Try the Mesa3D attachment I compiled years ago in this post. Re: DOSBox Compilation Guides
Extract opengl32.dll to the port directory.
Don't expect to actually play the game on that machine, just see if the launcher loads.
Mabye also https://github.com/JHRobotics/mesa9x but I've never used it.

Load a generic vesa driver that has at least 256 colors available to see if the launcher loads.
Try a newer video driver (Mabye OpenGL 1.2 or above) if it is availabled
Try a newer video card and driver.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-09-30, 13:58. Edited 20 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 21 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote on 2023-09-26, 00:03:
The game was build with MinGW 8.4.0 and fails in Windows 98 because of a call to __mb_cur_max_func in msvcrt.dll. But I just up […]
Show full quote
DosFreak wrote on 2023-09-25, 17:24:

It's possible gerwins duke3dw may work. Haven't tested it on 95 or 98 but I know it works on 2000.
http://www.gb-homepage.nl/index.htm

The game was build with MinGW 8.4.0 and fails in Windows 98 because of a call to __mb_cur_max_func in msvcrt.dll.
But I just updated the package with an additional Windows 9x binary, build with MinGW 5.4.0.
Tested to works in Windows 98SE on a Voodoo3. Had to configure the game to 8-bit color depth, windowed.

PS: I also tried to build it with the MinGW 6 and 7, but the resulting executable had some weird polygon issues, where some polygons pointed upwards into the sky. A build with MinGW 4 had sound issues.

Nice!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 23, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry it took so long to reply, got busy with other stuff. DosFreak, thank you very much for your help. For other games, I have been using zdoom-2.2.0, recently finished Half-Life using Voodoo, and currently in the middle Heretic 2 using Voodoo. I'll try some other stuff to verify OGL.

Reply 23 of 23, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2023-09-30, 13:17:

Things to try:
Verify that OGL works in other games. Below are some ports for games better treated by ports than Duke3D:
*Can't remember which ones have software, D3D, OGL support, mostly likely zdoom but hey even if they don't support OGL more games to play!

You may be right, DosFreak. Last night I tried Doom Legacy 1.42 and when launched with -opengl or -minigl it popped an error that the r_opengl or r_minigl driver could not be loaded and then started in software mode. Launching with the glide driver started without an error.

So I looked around some more and found the GL screensavers are broken. I hadn't noticed the OGL stuff not working because 3Dfx/Glide still works, screensaver is set to none, and there are no flags in Device Manager.

I got the Mesa download you linked to and will check it out, and I'll be working on the broken OGL issue.

Edit: I got opengl programs to start but with a weird glitch and I've opened a new topic about it Weird problem with OpenGL on Windows 95 with TNT2 + Voodoo1

Edit2: OpenGL problems are solved. Now eduke32 says I don't have enough memory. After all this I can't run it anyway, but I guess it *would* work. 🤣 It was worth it, though, to discover and solve the OpenGL problem. Thanks for all the help and tips, DosFreak!