VOGONS

ZDoom LE (Legacy Edition)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally released a new ZDoom LE version with the old OpenGL renderer for GL 1.2 cards. It's the GZDoom 1.8.4 renderer with later patches. I also backported the QZDoom render cull options by dpJudas from ZDoom32.
I've managed to fix the bugs introduced with the restoration of the low detail modes as well.
I've switched to FMOD Ex 4.36 for sound. Also there's a last version for win95 without the GL renderer using OpenAL.
I've also updated ZDoom32. See first post for downloads and detailed info.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 41 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've released new versions of both ZDoom LE and Classic. This LE update mainly adds a couple of new low detail modes and fixes the BD v21 crash with large textures on old graphic cards in software. See first post.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 42 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I released a new LE version a few days ago, it could be the Saint Valentine's day special edition :wub: or the two years after ZDoom anniversary edition or just a coincidence. :mrgreen:
This is a major update (2.8.2) and this time it's a version intended to replace 2.8.1 due to the recently discovered security issues. I've ported _mental_ security fixes (execution of unsafe commands and ACS stack checking, all the stuff) and LE now has over 200 additional official patches (mostly bugfixes but also some conservative features) compared to 2.8.1. Also now all the code is restored (and engine defaults as well) and fixed to compile with MinGW. I've made a suggestion to add the download link to the home page and this time i have to recommend everyone to stop using 2.8.1 and upgrade.

Don't forget that since this is a MinGW build there's no XInput support. Also out of curiosity lilith.pk3 won't run due to the engine being misidentified as GZDoom.
I've also released a new win95 version at the old repo (the full version requires 98 of course).

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 43 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just re-released 2.8.2, there was a minor thing and i've added even more missing official patches. I didn't feel like releasing 2.8.2a this time.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases

I've also re-released 2.8.1c for win95.

https://github.com/drfrag666/ZDoom-LE/releases

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 44 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry but i've just reuploaded the release again, there was a severe performance regression with gcc 4.9.2 (only in extreme cases with a lot of actors). Now it's compiled with gcc 5.1 and still runs on win98.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 45 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've released a new ZDoom LE version to fix several bugs, mainly the problem with ACS strings. Also added the light definition for the megasphere and the unexplored secrets custom color in the automap. BTW i've updated ZDoom32 as well due to that bug (and the win95 LE version).

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 46 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry but i've reuploaded the release due to a GL performance regression, 2.8.2 was already affected. I cherry-picked something bad when i added the hqnx mmx modes. Apparently the problem was mostly noticeable on intel cards. Now it's fine.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/ … m_LE_2.8.2a.zip

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 48 of 63, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm new to all things Doom, for Doom2 with a P3 850 Win98 setup what version of Zdoom do I need? Zdoom LE?

Regarding install is it just a matter of unzipping contents into the main Doom2 folder?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 49 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're welcome!

Sure, ZDoom LE should run fine there. You'll probably be able even to play with the GL renderer. I'd rather install to an empty folder and copy your iwads there. I recommend ZDL 3.1a (ZDoom Launcher).

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 50 of 63, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote:

You're welcome!

Sure, ZDoom LE should run fine there. You'll probably be able even to play with the GL renderer. I'd rather install to an empty folder and copy your iwads there. I recommend ZDL 3.1a (ZDoom Launcher).

Thanks dondiego! So I guess ZDoom runs independently & doesn't need to be in original Doom2 directory?

What are "iwads" & where can I get them?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 51 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ZDoom supports several games, just configure ZDL telling it where the game iwads are. Or copy the iwads to the ZDoom folder and run ZDoom directly. The iwads are the main game data files e.g. doom.wad and doom2.wad.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 52 of 63, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zdoom LE works great on my P3 system. Tried to add Brutal Doom V20 LE edition but I must be doing something wrong using the ZDL interface because the game slows to a crawl. Am I supposed to load both *.pk3 files? It ran fine just dragging one of them and dropping it on top of the zdoom.exe file rather than using the ZDL interface, am I using the correct Brutal Doom version for my hardware?

Another thing to note while in Brutal Doom there was shown (2) sets of options: Brutal Doom and GZDoom, is this supposed to be like this since I'm using ZDoom LE? Perhaps I need to use a flavor of GZDoom?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm enjoying messing around with this, it's so addicting!!!

Reply 53 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've reuploaded the release again to restore XInput support (i restored that code only recently), it works using the include from the full DX SDK.
Also i forgot to restore FluidSynth when i switched to gcc 5.1 (it was broken in the 95 version).
If you downloaded before 04/19 and you need XInput please download again.

You should add brutalv20b.pk3 and then brutalv20c_UP.pk3 yes, the second one fixes bugs and should actually increase performance. And the appropiate HUD. May be you're running out of ram? Which wads are loaded? Does the GL renderer work? Brutal Doom requires a fast CPU anyway.
The two menus are there to allow compatibility with all recent GZDoom versions. GZDoom won't run on that machine anymore and the two menus would still be there.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 54 of 63, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dondiego wrote:
I've reuploaded the release again to restore XInput support (i restored that code only recently), it works using the include fro […]
Show full quote

I've reuploaded the release again to restore XInput support (i restored that code only recently), it works using the include from the full DX SDK.
Also i forgot to restore FluidSynth when i switched to gcc 5.1 (it was broken in the 95 version).
If you downloaded before 04/19 and you need XInput please download again.

You should add brutalv20b.pk3 and then brutalv20c_UP.pk3 yes, the second one fixes bugs and should actually increase performance. And the appropiate HUD. May be you're running out of ram? Which wads are loaded? Does the GL renderer work? Brutal Doom requires a fast CPU anyway.
The two menus are there to allow compatibility with all recent GZDoom versions. GZDoom won't run on that machine anymore and the two menus would still be there.

Have 512mb ram, and GL render works fine. Doom2 wad was loaded but have tnt, plutonium and doomu I can try. Will try loading both pk3 files again, I must be screwing something else up on the ZDL interface. I take it GZDoom is for modern hardware?

You say you uploaded ZDoom again, just ZDoom32? The LE version is still shows (10) days old.

Reply 55 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea of what's going on, my load order is smivhud 4-3.wad, brutalv20b.pk3, brutalv20c_UP.pk3 and i get pretty much the same performance. I tested that even on a pentium II. You only load doom2.wad as iwad. BTW software could be faster there with big maps thanks to render culling.

I've reuploaded LE as well but it's the same date since it's the same source code, it's just a recompilation. You can check file dates.

https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/ … m_LE_2.8.2a.zip

Edit: GZDoom now requires a pentium 4, win xp and OpenGL 2.0 to run in hardware mode, the next release will require win 7 and GL 2.0 to run even in software mode.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 56 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
buckeye wrote:

Tried to add Brutal Doom V20 LE edition but I must be doing something wrong using the ZDL interface because the game slows to a crawl. Am I supposed to load both *.pk3 files?

I've updated the mod so you could try again.

04/26/2018 update:
- Removed evil marines completely, on levels with many nazis (thousands) the engine could slow down and even crash.
- Reduced number of water particles even more.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/downloa … -legacy-edition

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 57 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've uploaded a new release to GitHub, it's an important update. Has several bugfixes (one major old ZDoom bug) and a few new features. But i really don't feel like writing a changelog anymore.
Also i've fixed linux compilation (and visual studio as well). The old GL renderer was still using the SDL 1.2 backend. About cocoa no idea.
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/ … om_LE_2.8.3.zip

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 58 of 63, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot to mention i also updated the win95 version so just in case someone is still using it:
https://github.com/drfrag666/ZDoom-LE/release … .8.1e_win95.zip

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 59 of 63, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed this in the Brutal Doom notes:
"- ZDoom LE 2.8.3a (GL 1.8.4c), a fork of ZDoom 2.8.1 with a lot of later official bugfixes and a GL renderer requiring only OpenGL 1.2. Runs on win98 and later."

but
https://github.com/drfrag666/ZDoom-LE only has 2.81f as the latest?

but
https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/releases/tag/2.8.3a is listed here? Is that intentional?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline