VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 221 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Storm934 wrote:

Hello, when I try to run tomb raider 4 using the patch it launches to a black screen that i'm unable to close unless I log off. Any fix for this?

- Make sure you patched the game with the multipatch
- Run setup (hold shift when you start the game)
- Close programs like fraps, MSI afterburner or similar, if you have any of those running

If nothing works post you error.log file, but keep low expectations

Reply 222 of 890, by Storm934

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
- Make sure you patched the game with the multipatch - Run setup (hold shift when you start the game) - Close programs like frap […]
Show full quote
Storm934 wrote:

Hello, when I try to run tomb raider 4 using the patch it launches to a black screen that i'm unable to close unless I log off. Any fix for this?

- Make sure you patched the game with the multipatch
- Run setup (hold shift when you start the game)
- Close programs like fraps, MSI afterburner or similar, if you have any of those running

If nothing works post you error.log file, but keep low expectations

none of the options worked. here's my error log
https://mega.nz/#!rOxwEBiA!nYr8dHdoZrbIHxaKWN … C5tdo7Y4HYV-XPg

Reply 223 of 890, by St1llMatt3R

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Peixoto.
I haven't tried your patch for Resident Evil 1 yet, but I just wanted to say thank you for what you've done.
Its really cool to be able to get these games, specifically the Capcom titles from back in the day up and running on my new machine!

Reply 224 of 890, by De-M-oN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For what reason Unreal is set to singlethread? The game works absolutely fine without limiting threads to 1.
I also wondered about this with the gog version..
__

Can your patch for Tomb Raider 4 combined with dgvoodoo 2 to apply 8x MSAA?

Reply 225 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
St1llMatt3R wrote:

Hey Peixoto.
I haven't tried your patch for Resident Evil 1 yet, but I just wanted to say thank you for what you've done.
Its really cool to be able to get these games, specifically the Capcom titles from back in the day up and running on my new machine!

You're welcome

De-M-oN wrote:
For what reason Unreal is set to singlethread? The game works absolutely fine without limiting threads to 1. I also wondered abo […]
Show full quote

For what reason Unreal is set to singlethread? The game works absolutely fine without limiting threads to 1.
I also wondered about this with the gog version..
__

Can your patch for Tomb Raider 4 combined with dgvoodoo 2 to apply 8x MSAA?

autohotkey.dll needs it sometimes, on Unreal its probably safe to disable it, but you get some messages boxes with an out of memory message, re-enable it

Use DSR, it is another name for SSAA, which is better than MSAA

Reply 226 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding the "preferred controller" limitation:

I have a special controller setup keeping my Xbox controller the non-preferred controller. I won't explain this in detail why I do this, it has to do with xpadder autoload solutions and several games I use my Force Feedback 2 joystick, not the Xbox gamepad for.

Is it possible to tweak the patch to recognize/use the non-preferred controller/gamepad instead? It would be easier in my setup, as I wouldn't have to mess around with the WIN gamepad options before starting a game with the patch.

Reply 227 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blam666 wrote:

Regarding the "preferred controller" limitation:

I have a special controller setup keeping my Xbox controller the non-preferred controller. I won't explain this in detail why I do this, it has to do with xpadder autoload solutions and several games I use my Force Feedback 2 joystick, not the Xbox gamepad for.

Is it possible to tweak the patch to recognize/use the non-preferred controller/gamepad instead? It would be easier in my setup, as I wouldn't have to mess around with the WIN gamepad options before starting a game with the patch.

It's not a limitation of the patch. Some games just only recognize the preferred controller. I will write down a request to "force games to recognize Xinput controllers as the preferred device" to my "to do list".

By the way, the current version of the patch has a bug on the DInput to Xinput translation, i will upload a fix this weekend

Reply 228 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"It's not a limitation of the patch. Some games just only recognize the preferred controller."

Ok. I noticed this in the Resident Evil games at first. There were other games I noticed the "preferred device" trouble, but I don' t remember which ones right now. An "force Xinput controllers" option in specific game settings would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Reply 229 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just re-checked the newest version of the patch for my old Jedi Knight troubles. By now, there is a lot of new options to choose from, so I wanted to mess around a bit with them. Noticed some attention-worthy behaviour:

Right now, I can always start the game with all newly-provided compatibility settings, ALSO WIN95 and WIN98, when it's in C/GAMES/JK2. (I reported path troubles some weeks ago here in the thread, somehow it didn't start with the patch when in drive D). In my D/GAMES/JK I can start it now fine with all compatibility settings EXCEPT Win95/Win98. In those two modes, the batch file doesn't start the game and just ceases after the info text in the command window is finished.

Strangely, in all modes and paths, the mouse seems to be unable now to click on any menu tabs, so I can't start/load any game. If I start the game using the same compatibility mode without the patch, the mouse works normally.

EDIT: I just found out the mouse works if you have the PATCHED JK.exe. This is obligatory anyway, so sorry for being a bit confusing here.

Reply 230 of 890, by Redgrave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

First off I do want to thank you for your time and effort towards the selection of games here. Sadly though, I must add to the growing amount of derp in this thread and make my own inquiry...

I just bought Slave Zero off the general recommendations towards the game + how much better the game becomes after your patch. But I do not know how to apply your patch? I downloaded the Direct3D patch first and did the necessary things with that, but when it comes to your work I'm left at a loss. The patches folder from your .zip includes only 4 games, none of which are Slave Zero.

Provide me with the insight from the master himself, would you?

Reply 231 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Redgrave wrote:
Hi there, […]
Show full quote

Hi there,

First off I do want to thank you for your time and effort towards the selection of games here. Sadly though, I must add to the growing amount of derp in this thread and make my own inquiry...

I just bought Slave Zero off the general recommendations towards the game + how much better the game becomes after your patch. But I do not know how to apply your patch? I downloaded the Direct3D patch first and did the necessary things with that, but when it comes to your work I'm left at a loss. The patches folder from your .zip includes only 4 games, none of which are Slave Zero.

Provide me with the insight from the master himself, would you?

Start Help.exe

Find the Slave Zero entry

select it

Click the start button

Reply 233 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alkimical wrote:

The Resident Evil 1 cutscenes looks very small, like Capcom cutscene or intro, how can I fix it?

You can`t. I have been postponing a fix to that, i will fixe in the next update, probably this weekend

Reply 234 of 890, by MateusAuri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, Peixoto, is there any way of getting your fixes to work with a NOCD-patched Onimusha Warlords? It works okay with a 1.02 patched executable (except it still runs kinda slow and with a glitchy sky texture), but when I switch it for the NOCD patch, it crashes on startup.
It's kind of annoying to have to insert the CD everytime I want to play it.

By the way, thanks for your amazing work!

Reply 235 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MateusAuri wrote:

Hey, Peixoto, is there any way of getting your fixes to work with a NOCD-patched Onimusha Warlords? It works okay with a 1.02 patched executable (except it still runs kinda slow and with a glitchy sky texture), but when I switch it for the NOCD patch, it crashes on startup.

There are plenty of free software to create and mount isos, so i'm gonna pass that requested, it takes time that is better spent on something else

As for the speed, how slow is it? The patch caps the frame rate at 30, as it is supposed to be

Reply 236 of 890, by MateusAuri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
MateusAuri wrote:

There are plenty of free software to create and mount isos, so i'm gonna pass that requested, it takes time that is better spent on something else

As for the speed, how slow is it? The patch caps the frame rate at 30, as it is supposed to be

Oh, yeah, now I'm using Daemon Tools. Still not as convenient as the NOCD, but it works. Maybe later I'll look into how to make a .bat script to mount it, run the game and unmount it afterwards.

I haven't used any software to accurately count the framerate, but it feels like something in between 15~25 FPS to my naked eye. Seems like it depends on the area I'm currently in. It's playable, but slightly annoying. It might be because I'm using a laptop and its GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 5500, or even something about the single core affinity. My system runs plenty of newer games just fine, but this is a weird port, so I don't know.

Oh, and another thing I noticed is that when I try to use my controller, it doesn't support diagonal directional input, so I can't walk and turn at the same time.

Reply 237 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MateusAuri wrote:
Oh, yeah, now I'm using Daemon Tools. Still not as convenient as the NOCD, but it works. Maybe later I'll look into how to make […]
Show full quote
Peixoto wrote:
MateusAuri wrote:

Oh, yeah, now I'm using Daemon Tools. Still not as convenient as the NOCD, but it works. Maybe later I'll look into how to make a .bat script to mount it, run the game and unmount it afterwards.

I haven't used any software to accurately count the framerate, but it feels like something in between 15~25 FPS to my naked eye. Seems like it depends on the area I'm currently in. It's playable, but slightly annoying. It might be because I'm using a laptop and its GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 5500, or even something about the single core affinity. My system runs plenty of newer games just fine, but this is a weird port, so I don't know.

Oh, and another thing I noticed is that when I try to use my controller, it doesn't support diagonal directional input, so I can't walk and turn at the same time.

Try Virtual clone drive, you can have 15 images mounted and they remain mounted until you manually eject them

The speed issue is probably not the GPU, but perhaps the CPU, if it is a low power CPU: core i? ????U. Or maybe the patch is failing to force vertex buffers to be created on System memory. Both things can be fixed\optimized. I'm uploading an update latter today and in the next one after that i will include some improvements in the Onimusha script.

About the controller, that's how the game works even with a regular Dinput controller. I will include an option to just emulate the arrows keys with the analog stick\dpad

Reply 238 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another update is online, no new patches, but some bugs fixed and some requests answered.

- FMV size can be customized in Resident Evil 1
- Launcher.exe was scraped so integration with frontends\steam must be easier
- Lossless audio for TR2 and TR2 Gold

a lot of other small things

Reply 239 of 890, by MateusAuri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:

Try Virtual clone drive, you can have 15 images mounted and they remain mounted until you manually eject them

The speed issue is probably not the GPU, but perhaps the CPU, if it is a low power CPU: core i? ????U. Or maybe the patch is failing to force vertex buffers to be created on System memory. Both things can be fixed\optimized. I'm uploading an update latter today and in the next one after that i will include some improvements in the Onimusha script.

About the controller, that's how the game works even with a regular Dinput controller. I will include an option to just emulate the arrows keys with the analog stick\dpad

I used VCD some years ago, but it didn't work properly with some multi-track data CDs or something like that, so I had Daemon installed ever since. For now it's doing fine, but thanks for the suggestion.

Ah, I've got an i5 5200U. Here's the error.log:

Peixotos's patch remote settings:
CompatLayer: HIGHDPIAWARE
complatlayer: WinXPSP2
Controller: A=4;B=3;X=1;Y=2;LEFT_SHOULDER=6;RIGHT_SHOULDER=5;bLeftTrigger=11;bRightTrigger=7;start=9;back=10;LEFT_THUMB=12;RIGHT_THUMB=8;deadzone=0.25;ff=True;
Crashfix: 1
d3D: 8
d3D_Driver: igdumdim32.dll
dshow: 1
DSR: 1
error_log: C:\Users\MateusAuri\Programas\Jogos\Utilidades\Peixoto\error.log
FMV_scale: 3
HD: 1
injector_dir: C:\Users\MateusAuri\Programas\Jogos\Utilidades\Peixoto
max_4x3_res: 1400x1050
Mydocs: C:\Users\MateusAuri\Documents
os_version: 10.000000
resolutions_list: 320x200 320x240 400x300 512x384 640x400 640x480 720x480 720x576 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x600 1280x720 1280x768 1280x800 1280x960 1280x1024 1360x768 1366x768 1400x1050 1440x900 1600x900 1680x1050 1920x1080
script: Scripts\Onimusha.ahk
script_hwnd: 0x650674
target: C:\Program Files (x86)\CAPCOM\Onimusha\OnimuPC.exe
target_dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\CAPCOM\Onimusha
target_name: OnimuPC.exe
Textswap: samples=4;thumbnail=256;path=C:\Users\MateusAuri\Documents\Games\Onimusha\Textures;Next=];Prev=[;dump=home;Switch=del;color_switch=c;Quick=shift;nopopins=;

Succedeed to create the DirectShow interfaces
Succeeded to hook IVideoWindow::SetWindowPosition
Succeeded to hook IMediaControl::Run
Succeeded to create the DirectInput Interfaces
Succeeded to create the DirectInput Interfaces
Succeeded to create the DirectInput8 Interfaces
Succeeded to create the DirectInput8 Interfaces
Succeeded to hook IDirectInputDeviceW::GetDeviceState
Succeeded to hook IDirectInputDevice8W::GetDeviceState
Succeeded to hook IDirectInputDevice8A::CreateEffect
Succeeded to hook IDirectInput8A::EnumDevices
Direct3D user mode driver implemented in igdumdim32.dll
OpenAdapter Hook 0
Succeeded to create Direct3D8
Succeeded to hook IDirect3D8::CreateDevice
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::CreateTexture
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::SetTexture
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture8::Release
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture8::LockRect
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture8::UnLockRect
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture8::GetSurfaceLevel
Failed to hook IDirect3DSurface8::Release - detours error 1
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DSurface8::LockRect
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DSurface8::UnLockRect
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::CreatePixelShader
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::DeletePixelShader
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::SetPixelShader
Max Primitives8388607
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::SetVertexShader
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::SetStreamSource
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::DrawPrimitiveUp
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::DrawPrimitive
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::CreateVertexBuffer
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::CopyRects
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::Present
Show last 10 lines
UnLockTexture8RectHook:  0
Succeeded to unhook IDirect3DSurface8::lockRect
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DSurface8::lockRect
Succeeded to unhook IDirect3DTexture8::lockRect
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture8::lockRect
Succeeded to unhook IDirect3DDevice8::SetTexture
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice8::SetTexture
Succeeded to unhook IDirect3DTexture8::Release
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture8::Release

Nice, I'll try updating it, then.

Oh, I hadn't tried to use a controller before getting the patch. So that's just another weird bit of this port. Thanks for looking into that as well!