VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Peixoto Better integration possibilities for Launchbox would be awesome. Thanks for considering it. You're correct, I was talking about the shortcuts created by the patch. They would just have to stay "passively" active for the time of the game running. Or, other workarounds for that problem could be thinkable, too.

Regarding Jedi Knight: In my Gog installation folder there indeed has been the ddraw.dll from dgvoodoo. Unfortunately, deleting it (all dll and the configuration files from dv) didn't change the behaviour of the patch. It still crashes silently before doing anything. Also, my unpatched 2CD retail copy of JKDF2 that was installed by your patch had the same problem, despite being "untouched" by any other wrappers.

EDIT: I discovered your patch activated WIn95 Compatibility mode and DPI setting for the exe. But Win95 mode does somehow not work on my system for that game. It doesn't start either when I use the exe by my self without the patch with that mode. I use compatibility settings for XP SP3 to make everything work. Not choosing that one leads to crashes when I try to save games, actually. It starts up fine in all modes and without compatibility modes (non-regarding the save game crash), just not in Win98 and Win95 modes.

I'm not sure about this at all, but maybe this could be a hint why it messes up here on my PC?

Reply 181 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, just uploaded an update with tentative fixes for the latest issues. Let me know if it works and if not, post your error.log.
Please read the documentation and review the options carefully

I've updated the link as well

Reply 182 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again, just tested the update. Much appreciated.

It still crashes with my gog version (despite all ddraw files being deleted), BUT it starts up and works just fine now when I'm using my retail cds, installed by the patch. I have no tearing in the cut-scenes, which I always had when I was using dgvoodoo and the unofficial patch at the same time.

But there are still problems: The wrapping method of the patch gives me quite severe graphical glitches. You can see that parts of your initial blaster gun are transparent/inivisible, there are weird glowing dots on the floor and later you get these typical "smearing" artefatcts, meaning some still picture somehow sticks at the screen and smears a glitch mess along when you proceed and move away.

I had exactly the same graphical problems before working on JKDF2 when I was looking for alternatives to dgvoodoo and came across DDrawCompat, another wrapper. Without any wrapper, I'd get black screen, with DDrawCompat the glitches I also have with this patch now. Maybe the wrapper can be tweaked somehow to work better?

This might be a system-specific problem with certain drivers or cards on my pc. If you want, I can give you my specs to cast some light on all of this.

Regarding the crash with the GOG version, there is the error.log attached to this post

Attachments

• Filename
    error.log
    File size
    3.65 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File comment
    Error Log for JK1 GOG for Peixoto
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 183 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blam666 wrote:
Thanks again, just tested the update. Much appreciated. […]
Show full quote

Thanks again, just tested the update. Much appreciated.

It still crashes with my gog version (despite all ddraw files being deleted), BUT it starts up and works just fine now when I'm using my retail cds, installed by the patch. I have no tearing in the cut-scenes, which I always had when I was using dgvoodoo and the unofficial patch at the same time.

But there are still problems: The wrapping method of the patch gives me quite severe graphical glitches. You can see that parts of your initial blaster gun are transparent/inivisible, there are weird glowing dots on the floor and later you get these typical "smearing" artefatcts, meaning some still picture somehow sticks at the screen and smears a glitch mess along when you proceed and move away.

I had exactly the same graphical problems before working on JKDF2 when I was looking for alternatives to dgvoodoo and came across DDrawCompat, another wrapper. Without any wrapper, I'd get black screen, with DDrawCompat the glitches I also have with this patch now. Maybe the wrapper can be tweaked somehow to work better?

This might be a system-specific problem with certain drivers or cards on my pc. If you want, I can give you my specs to cast some light on all of this.

Regarding the crash with the GOG version, there is the error.log attached to this post

Is seems the zbuffer is not being cleared correctly, i've uploaded an small update with an option for using an alternative method to clear the z buffer, try it out

The gog version crashes because the exe is different. Just use the unofficial patch exe

Reply 184 of 890, by Lifell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:

🤣, the bug i fixed as on Lba, not HOD: i'm getting old.

All thee entries in the file are from the pach itself, the game's main thread probably doesn't even resumes. I been cleaning the code and bugfixing, so who knows, be a little patient

I am patient. Just checking here from time to time 😀. I just figured some extra info would be nice to have, so I made the trace file anyway. Let me know if you need some extra info!

Ps: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer has a really good patch/fix already. It is mentioned here: https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2013/12/02/ … pisode-i-racer/ The link to the forum is broken it seems but the patch is still downloadable from here however: https://mega.nz/#!CJZGjaDC!zlrSAiE58cwI_KTgJr … mxuwzM3pmLKLcG8

Pps: Dark Forces II patch looks promising! Although I already completed the game a few times last 3 months or so. Just be sure to rename it to "Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II" and "Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II - Mysteries of the Sith". The prequel is called "STAR WARS: Dark Forces". Basically to make sure people know it's Dark Forces II and not the original.

Reply 185 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lifell wrote:
I am patient. Just checking here from time to time :). I just figured some extra info would be nice to have, so I made the trace […]
Show full quote
Peixoto wrote:

All thee entries in the file are from the pach itself, the game's main thread probably doesn't even resumes. I been cleaning the code and bugfixing, so who knows, be a little patient

I am patient. Just checking here from time to time 😀. I just figured some extra info would be nice to have, so I made the trace file anyway. Let me know if you need some extra info!

Ps: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer has a really good patch/fix already. It is mentioned here: https://www.play-old-pc-games.com/2013/12/02/ … pisode-i-racer/ The link to the forum is broken it seems but the patch is still downloadable from here however: https://mega.nz/#!CJZGjaDC!zlrSAiE58cwI_KTgJr … mxuwzM3pmLKLcG8

Pps: Dark Forces II patch looks promising! Although I already completed the game a few times last 3 months or so. Just be sure to rename it to "Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II" and "Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II - Mysteries of the Sith". The prequel is called "STAR WARS: Dark Forces". Basically to make sure people know it's Dark Forces II and not the original.

Oh, i never meant to imply you were impatient, everyone is welcome to report bugs and ask for assistance.

The latest version fixed a threading issue that caused the autohotkey interpreted to freeze sometimes. Did it solve your issues with HOD?

Reply 186 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, the graphical glitches sadly are still there, even with the new option checked or unchecked.

But I found out more about the GOG version problems. Unofficial exe was already there and exchanged. But here are the new facts: Gog version refused to start when I had the folder and exe in (something like) D:/Games/Jedi Knight. I had the idea to move it and changed the path to C:/Jedi Knight. And suddenly it works. Patch starts up the gog version. So gog vs. works but has some weird path allocation bug.

I'm a little confused by this. But I rechecked just this minute. I copied the exactly same folder to root c and it started, I tried back in non-root d partition/folder and it didn't start. I don't what's going on here. But all things considered, Gog version works with the patch!

I will provide some screenshots of the graphical glitches soon.

Last edited by blam666 on 2018-02-08, 18:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 187 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are two screenshots of this "invisibility" problem, one with vanilla JK1, one with enhanced. I will post two more soon (were too big to upload right now).

Attachments

• jk1Ea.jpg
    Filename
    jk1Ea.jpg
    File size
    346.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • jk1a.jpg
    Filename
    jk1a.jpg
    File size
    329.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by blam666 on 2018-02-08, 18:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 188 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And even more snaps of the glitchy bugs. The smearing isn't that easy to demonstrate in a still picture, but I think you get the idea.

Checking or uncheciking the z blits box didn't really change anything, as far as I can tell by now.

Attachments

• jk1e.jpg
    Filename
    jk1e.jpg
    File size
    240.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • jk1d.jpg
    Filename
    jk1d.jpg
    File size
    389.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • jk1c.jpg
    Filename
    jk1c.jpg
    File size
    370.16 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 189 of 890, by Lifell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
Lifell wrote:
I am patient. Just checking here from time to time :). I just figured some extra info would be nice to have, so I made the trace […]
Show full quote
Peixoto wrote:

Oh, i never meant to imply you were impatient, everyone is welcome to report bugs and ask for assistance.

The latest version fixed a threading issue that caused the autohotkey interpreted to freeze sometimes. Did it solve your issues with HOD?

Ah, I suppose I misunderstood then, well no matter. Thanks for helping everyone and expanding your patches! As for HoD, It seems to be the exact same behavior. I only noticed the command prompt kind of window waits longer until it closes. Don't think that means anything.

Also, got a suggestion regarding music for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II: https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dar ... er_goodies

Reply 190 of 890, by milepanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I tried new version of patch on Tomb Raider III, vertical line fix is working, but I have problem with sound. When games go into title menu or in-game sound disappear. When I try your patch with Arsunt widescreen FMV fix patch sound works but game crashes in title menu, same happens when "Disable widescreen and transparent inventory background For those using Arsunt's exe " is checked. Any thoughts what could it be? MP4 FMV still not working.

thanks

Reply 191 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
milepanic wrote:

So I tried new version of patch on Tomb Raider III, vertical line fix is working, but I have problem with sound. When games go into title menu or in-game sound disappear. When I try your patch with Arsunt widescreen FMV fix patch sound works but game crashes in title menu, same happens when "Disable widescreen and transparent inventory background For those using Arsunt's exe " is checked. Any thoughts what could it be? MP4 FMV still not working.

thanks

That option only affects TRII, but i can be added to TRIII as well. I don't plan to support arsunt's exe right now however, it only disables thinks that are version specific and 'm not doing any testing with arsunt's exe.

Regarding the other issues: you are using steam right? have you installed the mutipatch? I don't have the steam version, so...

Last edited by Peixoto on 2018-02-09, 16:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 192 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lifell wrote:

Also, got a suggestion regarding music for Jedi Knight Dark Forces II: https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_dar ... er_goodies

What exactly you want to suggest? If you want to disable my music solution to e able to use others, remove the line
MCI=True
from the Jedi Knight.ini file

blam666 wrote:
Ok, the graphical glitches sadly are still there, even with the new option checked or unchecked. […]
Show full quote

Ok, the graphical glitches sadly are still there, even with the new option checked or unchecked.

But I found out more about the GOG version problems. Unofficial exe was already there and exchanged. But here are the new facts: Gog version refused to start when I had the folder and exe in (something like) D:/Games/Jedi Knight. I had the idea to move it and changed the path to C:/Jedi Knight. And suddenly it works. Patch starts up the gog version. So gog vs. works but has some weird path allocation bug.

I'm a little confused by this. But I rechecked just this minute. I copied the exactly same folder to root c and it started, I tried back in non-root d partition/folder and it didn't start. I don't what's going on here. But all things considered, Gog version works with the patch!

I will provide some screenshots of the graphical glitches soon.

Strange bug indeed, does if affects the Disk version as well? By the way, i've done some change in the installer, the unofficial patch for MotS will now work

Reply 193 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, affects all versions unfortunately. I wouldn't even care about the GOG version. Your patch would give me the possibility of lossless soundtrack, GOG just accepts ogg.

I know the dgvoodoo wraps the game on my pc without these problems. But as I wrote before, it gives me screen tearing in the fmvs when I use the pre-patched exe for installing mods.

Reply 195 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still the same path trouble with the updated patch. Actually, it didn't have any problems before with the patched exe per se. It really seems to have problems with certain paths. I have one folder in c root of the game which starts fine with the patch. I just copied it to d root and it refused to start. Can there be something in the installer script which fixes the execution to the system folder / c:\?

I don't have any special security settings for my d partition as far as I know. I know sometimes there can be problems with c:\Program Files path etc. because of Windows restrictions, but root and /Games usually work fine for any old games.

Reply 196 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blam666 wrote:

Still the same path trouble with the updated patch. Actually, it didn't have any problems before with the patched exe per se. It really seems to have problems with certain paths. I have one folder in c root of the game which starts fine with the patch. I just copied it to d root and it refused to start. Can there be something in the installer script which fixes the execution to the system folder / c:\?

I don't have any special security settings for my d partition as far as I know. I know sometimes there can be problems with c:\Program Files path etc. because of Windows restrictions, but root and /Games usually work fine for any old games.

On the latest version, the installer actually removes all registry entries for both games, because in my system with or without the patch, they only cause trouble, and the games run fine if everything from the CD in correctly installed.

Can you try the following experiment?

Create an ini file in the scripts folder with the following:
D3D=1
32bit=True
HD=True
MHKS=True
MCI=True
Compatlayer=win95

Restart help.exe and you will see a new entry with the name of the new ini file

Start the game form that entry, select the highest resolution in the display menu and lets see if the graphics glitch is solved

If it is solved, we can start narrowing down what causes that glitch

Reply 197 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, created JEDITEST.INI with the 6 lines you wrote and nothing else in a fresh re-download of the newest update of the patch. Started the new ini.

A folder with the game without any ddraw.dll and with the pre-patched version in d/root again didn't start.

A folder in c/root with the same content did start the JEDITEST.INI. Game had the same graphical glitches as before, the fov was changed to normal of course.

Re-copied the folder that just started to d/root to be certain to be certain about the path bug, again didn't start.

To investigate a little further i created a new folder of the unpatched version of the game in c root. It did start but the menu wasn't electable, the mouse couldn't click anything.

Reply 198 of 890, by milepanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
milepanic wrote:

thanks

That option only affects TRII, but i can be added to TRIII as well. I don't plan to support arsunt's exe right now however, it only disables thinks that are version specific and 'm not doing any testing with arsunt's exe.

Regarding the other issues: you are using steam right? have you installed the mutipatch? I don't have the steam version, so...

No actually didnt install multipatch for TR3 I thought that's only for TR2 I will try that today. Yes I have steam version of game. Also I downloaded yesterday TR 3 ISO file from some German website, game is in German, I try to run it trough your patch, sound worked, game was not crashing but resolution was low and no wide screen. I will play with it more today and see if I can make it work. Thanks!

UPDATE: I did more tests with multi patch and issue with sound persist, not sure what it is, TR2 was fixed changing option in TR2 Setup menu from Primary sound card to HD Realtek output, I try to play with sound options in TR3 but nothing works. I test more that ISO CD of TR3 game, and same issue. When I run both games outside of your patch sound works fine. ALso when i press windows button and go to desktop while game still running, sound starts to play, as soon as I go back to game sound start to stutter and goes away. Starting to think that maybe something has to do with resolution and full screen, but not sure running out of ideas here. If anyone have solution would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

UPDATE2: I knew it 🤣, I got it fixed, problem was the same as I had in TR2, so you have to run TR3 setup in steam, change resolution to match max resolution of your monitor and also to choose proper sound output, but trick with TR3 is that game has to remember these settings, and in order to do that you have to go in game, start new game, collect crystal, save game and setup will be saved. After that go to Peixoto patch run game and everything will work fine. Do you know why that happends why patch can just run of the primary sound driver? and can that be fixed?

Reply 199 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heart Of Darkness

This is strange but I noticed that many screens in Heart Of Darkness have 6 missing right most vertical lines:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heart-o … meShotId,22196/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heart-o … meShotId,22198/

checked PC ver 1.0 and 1.4
PSX version has the same problem.