VOGONS

Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
milepanic wrote:
No actually didnt install multipatch for TR3 I thought that's only for TR2 I will try that today. Yes I have steam version of ga […]
Show full quote
Peixoto wrote:
milepanic wrote:

So I tried new version of patch on Tomb Raider III, vertical line fix is working, but I have problem with sound. When games go into title menu or in-game sound disappear. When I try your patch with Arsunt widescreen FMV fix patch sound works but game crashes in title menu, same happens when "Disable widescreen and transparent inventory background For those using Arsunt's exe " is checked. Any thoughts what could it be? MP4 FMV still not working.

thanks

That option only affects TRII, but i can be added to TRIII as well. I don't plan to support arsunt's exe right now however, it only disables thinks that are version specific and 'm not doing any testing with arsunt's exe.

Regarding the other issues: you are using steam right? have you installed the mutipatch? I don't have the steam version, so...

No actually didnt install multipatch for TR3 I thought that's only for TR2 I will try that today. Yes I have steam version of game. Also I downloaded yesterday TR 3 ISO file from some German website, game is in German, I try to run it trough your patch, sound worked, game was not crashing but resolution was low and no wide screen. I will play with it more today and see if I can make it work. Thanks!

UPDATE: I did more tests with multi patch and issue with sound persist, not sure what it is, TR2 was fixed changing option in TR2 Setup menu from Primary sound card to HD Realtek output, I try to play with sound options in TR3 but nothing works. I test more that ISO CD of TR3 game, and same issue. When I run both games outside of your patch sound works fine. ALso when i press windows button and go to desktop while game still running, sound starts to play, as soon as I go back to game sound start to stutter and goes away. Starting to think that maybe something has to do with resolution and full screen, but not sure running out of ideas here. If anyone have solution would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

UPDATE2: I knew it 🤣, I got it fixed, problem was the same as I had in TR2, so you have to run TR3 setup in steam, change resolution to match max resolution of your monitor and also to choose proper sound output, but trick with TR3 is that game has to remember these settings, and in order to do that you have to go in game, start new game, collect crystal, save game and setup will be saved. After that go to Peixoto patch run game and everything will work fine. Do you know why that happends why patch can just run of the primary sound driver? and can that be fixed?

It is hard to fix bugs you cannot reproduce, that's why i so often as people to try apitrace logs. On this case, you could try
apimonitor(http://www.rohitab.com/apimonitor) to log directsound and MCI calls. You will have to attach it to help.exe, go in tools->options->monitoring and disable com interface scanning and then start TR 2 or 3 from help.exe

robertmo wrote:
Heart Of Darkness […]
Show full quote

Heart Of Darkness

This is strange but I noticed that many screens in Heart Of Darkness have 6 missing right most vertical lines:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heart-o … meShotId,22196/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heart-o … meShotId,22198/

checked PC ver 1.0 and 1.4
PSX version has the same problem.

I see, unfortunately, this kind of thing is not easy fixable with the methods i employ

Reply 201 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:
Heart Of Darkness […]
Show full quote

Heart Of Darkness

This is strange but I noticed that many screens in Heart Of Darkness have 6 missing right most vertical lines:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heart-o … meShotId,22196/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/heart-o … meShotId,22198/

checked PC ver 1.0 and 1.4
PSX version has the same problem.

This is actually not a bug but a trick the game is using on levels with hot water and hot air over lava to allow screen floating left and right. 3 vertical lines on each screen side are hidden so that they can float into the screen and out of it simulating water/hot air.

Reply 202 of 890, by milepanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is hard to fix bugs you cannot reproduce, that's why i so often as people to try apitrace logs. On this case, you could try
apimonitor(http://www.rohitab.com/apimonitor) to log directsound and MCI calls. You will have to attach it to help.exe, go in tools->options->monitoring and disable com interface scanning and then start TR 2 or 3 from help.exe

Ok I will use that, would you like me to send screens of those reports here? Also I made everything works, well besides .MP4s I still have to convert them to bink files, but TR3 and TR2 looks great now, I swaped textures for title menu with nice high res wide screen one and changed skydomes to nice HD ones, I also creating High Res FMVs for TR3, intro and logo is done 3 more to go. Here is some screens:
2aiognr.jpg
a1jvo9.jpg

When everything is done probably will share downlad link with dds packages and with new FMVs maybe even make some videos so people can see how I did it.

Thanks a lot for all your hard work!

UPDATE: Here is direct link to TR3 menu screen, here cant display whole image http://i64.tinypic.com/2aiognr.jpg

Reply 203 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ peixoto Could an apitrace log be helpful in the JK case, too? Although it sound a little bit complicated at first, I'd try to do one tomorrow, if that's the case. If I don't mangage to find the time tomorrow it will take a while coz I'll be on holiday for 1 1/2 weeks from tuesday on.

But I'll be back after that, of course.

Reply 204 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately, API trace doesn't work with Direct3D 1 (DirectX 2 and 3), all Direct3D 1 games that i tried with apitrace crash with error D3DERR_VIEWPORTHASNODEVICE on method IDirect3DViewport3::Setviewport. And the IDirect3DViewport3 interface had not be implemented until Direct3D 3 (DirectX 6)

Edit: I added this issue on apitrace GitHub

Last edited by Peixoto on 2018-02-12, 00:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 205 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
milepanic wrote:
Ok I will use that, would you like me to send screens of those reports here? Also I made everything works, well besides .MP4s […]
Show full quote

Ok I will use that, would you like me to send screens of those reports here? Also I made everything works, well besides .MP4s I still have to convert them to bink files, but TR3 and TR2 looks great now, I swaped textures for title menu with nice high res wide screen one and changed skydomes to nice HD ones, I also creating High Res FMVs for TR3, intro and logo is done 3 more to go. Here is some screens:

When everything is done probably will share downlad link with dds packages and with new FMVs maybe even make some videos so people can see how I did it.

Thanks a lot for all your hard work!

UPDATE: Here is direct link to TR3 menu screen, here cant display whole image http://i64.tinypic.com/2aiognr.jpg

The reports can be exported to a file

Reply 206 of 890, by milepanic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah sure I will play with it this weekend, just too busy with work and rendering those upscaled FMVs for TR3 it is so much work to do that. How you want me to send you those report files just to upload them here?

Reply 207 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
milepanic wrote:

Yeah sure I will play with it this weekend, just too busy with work and rendering those upscaled FMVs for TR3 it is so much work to do that. How you want me to send you those report files just to upload them here?

Yes, just upload it wherever you like

Reply 209 of 890, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lifell wrote:

Hey,

I tried running the new version of Peixoto with my disc version and the game still doesn't appear to run. The log file however, is somewhat different.

Heart Of Darkness has exactly the same resolution as PC version but has more colours for backgrounds in PSX version
Heart Of Darkness PC vs PS

Reply 211 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The_Keeper86 wrote:

Hello there,

I can't seem to get my Xbox controller working with Resident Evil 1-3 even though it's enabled 😒 Is there anything special I need to do?

Thanks!

Maybe you have to set your controller as the preferred device. Check the "Support for Xinput controllers" link on the game page, you will find another link there that will direct you to the right place

Another possibility is that you're a missing the Xinput1_3.dll file, but if that was the case, every time you started a game the patch would request you to update DirectX

DInput to Xinput translation never cause any problems (that i know) so there isn't any error checking, maybe i should add some

Reply 213 of 890, by blam666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgetting about my Jedi Knight problems for a while, I checked out Tomb raider II some days ago and it runs very fine with the patch, thanks a lot for this.

Call me a nostalgic pedant, but I kinda miss the red inventory background a bit when I'm enjoying the new widescreen mode.

The option to turn transparent menu off also kills widescreen AR, as expected.
Is transparent menu necessary to get widescreen and the other improvements to work? Or would it be possible to have an option to keep menu bg "classical" in some future update?

Reply 214 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blam666 wrote:
Forgetting about my Jedi Knight problems for a while, I checked out Tomb raider II some days ago and it runs very fine with the […]
Show full quote

Forgetting about my Jedi Knight problems for a while, I checked out Tomb raider II some days ago and it runs very fine with the patch, thanks a lot for this.

Call me a nostalgic pedant, but I kinda miss the red inventory background a bit when I'm enjoying the new widescreen mode.

The option to turn transparent menu off also kills widescreen AR, as expected.
Is transparent menu necessary to get widescreen and the other improvements to work? Or would it be possible to have an option to keep menu bg "classical" in some future update?

I will add the option in the next update, in the meantime you can open Tomb2.ahk with a text editor and seach for the line
(g_.cfg.arsunt) ?: logerr(IDirect3DDevice2.Hook("BeginScene", "TR2_BeginScene"))

then replace it with
;(g_.cfg.arsunt) ?: logerr(IDirect3DDevice2.Hook("BeginScene", "TR2_BeginScene"))

or just erase it

Reply 215 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cookeri wrote:

Hello. I tried your patch to run RE1 and i was happy that it runs at normal speed, but for some reason it's not full screen 😒

Try adding the line

NEFS=True

in the ResidentEvil.ini file

and post the contents of your error.log file

Reply 216 of 890, by cookeri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean go to scripts folder and edit there? I did add that line, it doesn't run full screen.
Here from error.log file

Peixotos's patch remote settings:
32bit: 1
AF: 1
args: /blaster
blaster: 1
CompatLayer: Win95
Controller: A=1;B=2;X=3;Y=4;LEFT_SHOULDER=5;RIGHT_SHOULDER=6;bLeftTrigger=3;bRightTrigger=8;Start=8;Back=9;LEFT_THUMB=10;RIGHT_THUMB=11;deadzone=0.240000;
d3D: 1
d3D_Driver: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvcvi.inf_amd64_3dcba86eeb13b711\nvldumd.dll
DSR: 1
error_log: C:\Users\Kumpiuteris\Desktop\Peixoto\Peixoto\error.log
FrameTime: 40.0
HD: 1
injector_dir: C:\Users\Kumpiuteris\Desktop\Peixoto\Peixoto
max_4x3_res: 1400x1050
modspath: C:\Users\Kumpiuteris\Documents\Games\ResidentEvil\mods
Mydocs: C:\Users\Kumpiuteris\Documents
os_version: 10.000000
resolutions_list: 320x200 320x240 400x300 512x384 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x600 1280x720 1280x768 1280x800 1280x960 1280x1024 1360x768 1366x768 1400x1050 1440x900 1600x900 1680x1050 1920x1080
script: Scripts\Resident Evil.ahk
script_hwnd: 0xc0850
target: C:\Program Files (x86)\RESIDENT EVIL\NEWEUR.EXE
target_dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\RESIDENT EVIL
target_name: NEWEUR.EXE
Textswap: samples=4;thumbnail=256;path=C:\Users\Kumpiuteris\Documents\Games\ResidentEvil\Textures;Next=PgUp;Prev=PgDn;dump=Home;Switch=End;color_switch=Delete;nopopins=;Quick=Shift;

Desktop 1920x1080
Direct3D user mode driver implemented in C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvcvi.inf_amd64_3dcba86eeb13b711\nvldumd.dll
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DirectDrawCreate Hook: 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Blt
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Lock
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::UnLock
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::GetHandle
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::Release
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture2::Load
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice2::SetRenderState
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture::Load
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture::GetHandle
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DTexture::Release
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to unhook IDirectDrawSurface::Lock
Succeeded to unhook IDirectDrawSurface::UnLock
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Lock
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::UnLock
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Bltfast
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to unhook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::lock
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Unlock
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Blt
Zbuffer depth 24

Reply 217 of 890, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cookeri wrote:

You mean go to scripts folder and edit there? I did add that line, it doesn't run full screen.
Here from error.log file

According to the log, you haven't.

There are two options you can try (don't try both at the same time)

NEFS=True
of
DMWM=True

Reply 219 of 890, by The_Keeper86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peixoto wrote:
Maybe you have to set your controller as the preferred device. Check the "Support for Xinput controllers" link on the game page, […]
Show full quote
The_Keeper86 wrote:

Hello there,

I can't seem to get my Xbox controller working with Resident Evil 1-3 even though it's enabled 😒 Is there anything special I need to do?

Thanks!

Maybe you have to set your controller as the preferred device. Check the "Support for Xinput controllers" link on the game page, you will find another link there that will direct you to the right place

Another possibility is that you're a missing the Xinput1_3.dll file, but if that was the case, every time you started a game the patch would request you to update DirectX

DInput to Xinput translation never cause any problems (that i know) so there isn't any error checking, maybe i should add some

Thanks I think that was the problem not being my preferred controller.