VOGONS


Peixoto's patches for a few old games

Topic actions

Reply 540 of 782, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
diagonally wrote:
Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA). […]
Show full quote

Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA).

* Playing LBA through LbaWin 0.8.1.
* Installed using the EU version of LBA.
* Using the most recent version of your injector (updated 2019-5-22).
* Any combination of injected settings (xBR scaler, looping music, compatibility options, plugged-in gamepad) causes the issues mentioned below.

The issues I'm having:

* The entire screen is blacked out from the moment the starting Adeline Software logo appears, up until the main menu (can still hear the music/sound effects of the opening logos/cinematics).
* At the main menu, creating a save file (even naming it "auto", as your new save system recommends) or loading a pre-existing save file immediately results in a hang and CTD.

Here is the accompanying error log:

CreateProcessA Hook: 0
CreateProcessW Hook: 0
Succeeded to create the DirectSound interfaces
Desktop 1920x1080
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DDraw.dll : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DDRAW.dll
DirectDrawCreate Hook : 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::AddViewport
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::GetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Bltfast
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
So far, so good
CreateFile Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error
CloseHandle Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error

I hope that this is fixable, as playing LbaWin with a gamepad would be great. Thanks for reading.

Your log is incomplete. Post the role thing.

Open scripts\lba with a text aditor and delete these lines:
logerr("CreateFile Hook : " InstallHook("LbaCreateFileA", pOpenFileA, "Kernel32.dll", "CreateFileA") " <- 0 means no error")
logerr("CloseHandle Hook : " InstallHook("LbaCloseHandle", pCloseHandle, "Kernel32.dll", "CloseHandle") " <- 0 means no error")
logerr("DeleteFile Hook : " InstallHook("LbaDeleteFile", pDeleteFile, "Kernel32.dll", "DeleteFileA") " <- 0 means no error")

that should solve the hanging, but you will only have the regular save system

Then change
Alt_blt(p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6)
to
__Alt_blt(p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6)

that should save the black screen

BladeDarkeden wrote:

So, the zooming issue for Tomb Raider 2, 2 Gold, 3, and 3 Gold is still prevalent in this new version. I have the trace file, but this website won't let me upload it. Any other way I can get it to you?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApHOE-Ru-xkG5VkiNUkN_3MZd5RI

Try version one. Its the oldest i have

Upload your trace file somewhere else

ZellSF wrote:

...

HyperBlade DPI scaling settings should be handled. Try the latest version, and if it doesn't work post your log
Army Men RTS (Demo) It works now. DirectX 7
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (Demo) Also works, but has some tilling issues on some bitmaps. DirectX 6, needs the "fix window size" option. 1st purely directdraw DirectX 6 game i tried, i'll use it to implement xBR scaling on DirectX 6
The Longest Journey (Demo) I could get it to work with forced resolution but ther are problems with the zbuffer and Texts are not upscaled correctly yet, i'll try to fix it on the weekend. DirectX 5
Neverwinter Nights(Demo) Doesn't work, you can't even browse textures. The game uses wglSwapLayerBuffers to swap buffers and that function is not hooked yet. Implementing the hook will probably solve the problem
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic This one is Direct3D 8 (or 9). Not supported yet
MechCommander 2 Doesn't work. This one does some things on windowed mode before going fullscreen and that is why it crashes
Outlaws The texture fix was broken, but is fixed now
Thandor: The Invasion The demo has a 16 bit installer and i could not install it

I'll check Battle Isle: The Andosia War and the games on the second post on the weekend

Reply 541 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should probably make some notes if you want to look at all of the games I tried (I just posted so others wouldn't waste their time). Some of them are a bit problematic.

Peixoto wrote:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic This one is Direct3D 8 (or 9). Not supported yet

It's OpenGL. Also one of the few games where there's currently no way to force resolution (DxWnd is the only thing that gets ingame and its window handling for this game makes it unplayable).

Even if it were working though, out of the box it wouldn't work on my computer in forced resolution mode since that only seems to allow the limited resolution list I posted for Battle Isle: Andosia Wars. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic needs 800x600 or 1024x768.

Peixoto wrote:

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (Demo) Also works, but has some tilling issues on some bitmaps.

If you're talking about the menus that's consistent with every other way for forcing resolution for this game.

Peixoto wrote:

MechCommander 2 Doesn't work. This one does some things on windowed mode before going fullscreen and that is why it crashes

That game would be great to get working, since the only way to get resolution forcing now on Nvidia cards is a messy combination of dgVoodoo+dxvk.

Reply 542 of 782, by BladeDarkeden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Peixoto wrote:
Your log is incomplete. Post the role thing. […]
Show full quote
diagonally wrote:
Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA). […]
Show full quote

Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA).

* Playing LBA through LbaWin 0.8.1.
* Installed using the EU version of LBA.
* Using the most recent version of your injector (updated 2019-5-22).
* Any combination of injected settings (xBR scaler, looping music, compatibility options, plugged-in gamepad) causes the issues mentioned below.

The issues I'm having:

* The entire screen is blacked out from the moment the starting Adeline Software logo appears, up until the main menu (can still hear the music/sound effects of the opening logos/cinematics).
* At the main menu, creating a save file (even naming it "auto", as your new save system recommends) or loading a pre-existing save file immediately results in a hang and CTD.

Here is the accompanying error log:

CreateProcessA Hook: 0
CreateProcessW Hook: 0
Succeeded to create the DirectSound interfaces
Desktop 1920x1080
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DDraw.dll : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DDRAW.dll
DirectDrawCreate Hook : 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::AddViewport
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::GetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Bltfast
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
So far, so good
CreateFile Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error
CloseHandle Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error

I hope that this is fixable, as playing LbaWin with a gamepad would be great. Thanks for reading.

Your log is incomplete. Post the role thing.

Open scripts\lba with a text aditor and delete these lines:
logerr("CreateFile Hook : " InstallHook("LbaCreateFileA", pOpenFileA, "Kernel32.dll", "CreateFileA") " <- 0 means no error")
logerr("CloseHandle Hook : " InstallHook("LbaCloseHandle", pCloseHandle, "Kernel32.dll", "CloseHandle") " <- 0 means no error")
logerr("DeleteFile Hook : " InstallHook("LbaDeleteFile", pDeleteFile, "Kernel32.dll", "DeleteFileA") " <- 0 means no error")

that should solve the hanging, but you will only have the regular save system

Then change
Alt_blt(p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6)
to
__Alt_blt(p1, p2, p3, p4, p5, p6)

that should save the black screen

BladeDarkeden wrote:

So, the zooming issue for Tomb Raider 2, 2 Gold, 3, and 3 Gold is still prevalent in this new version. I have the trace file, but this website won't let me upload it. Any other way I can get it to you?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApHOE-Ru-xkG5VkiNUkN_3MZd5RI

Try version one. Its the oldest i have

Upload your trace file somewhere else

ZellSF wrote:

...

HyperBlade DPI scaling settings should be handled. Try the latest version, and if it doesn't work post your log
Army Men RTS (Demo) It works now. DirectX 7
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms (Demo) Also works, but has some tilling issues on some bitmaps. DirectX 6, needs the "fix window size" option. 1st purely directdraw DirectX 6 game i tried, i'll use it to implement xBR scaling on DirectX 6
The Longest Journey (Demo) I could get it to work with forced resolution but ther are problems with the zbuffer and Texts are not upscaled correctly yet, i'll try to fix it on the weekend. DirectX 5
Neverwinter Nights(Demo) Doesn't work, you can't even browse textures. The game uses wglSwapLayerBuffers to swap buffers and that function is not hooked yet. Implementing the hook will probably solve the problem
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic This one is Direct3D 8 (or 9). Not supported yet
MechCommander 2 Doesn't work. This one does some things on windowed mode before going fullscreen and that is why it crashes
Outlaws The texture fix was broken, but is fixed now
Thandor: The Invasion The demo has a 16 bit installer and i could not install it

I'll check Battle Isle: The Andosia War and the games on the second post on the weekend

I'll be more than happy to upload it elsewhere! Anyplace that would be easiest for you? I've never really done anything like this before.

Reply 543 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peixoto wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

...

HyperBlade DPI scaling settings should be handled. Try the latest version, and if it doesn't work post your log

Not working still, no. It's not actually specific to HyperBlade, it applies to a lot of the games I tried.

Attachments

  • Filename
    error.log
    File size
    3.91 KiB
    Downloads
    18 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Filename
    Clipboard01.jpg
    File size
    290.7 KiB
    Views
    685 views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 544 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shadow Armada (OpenGL) one of my favorite time wasters sort of works. First launch it just displays the top left corner of the game until I alt-tab out and in again and then it displays full screen. Unfortunately, entirely full screen, meaning not AR corrected. Mouse isn't constrained to screen either. None of those are particularly bad issues since the game does actually look pretty nice with forced resolution (being so 2D I thought there would be little benefit, I was very wrong):

ShadowArmada 2019-05-28 17-17-14-76.jpg
Filename
ShadowArmada 2019-05-28 17-17-14-76.jpg
File size
239.43 KiB
Views
670 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Screenshot should show an issue that is really bad though, tooltips are not scaled and in the wrong location 🙁

Half-Life (Steam) works and is probably the least problematic way to play the game with proper UI scaling.

Half Life Screenshot 2019.05.28 - 18.50.37.09.jpg
Filename
Half Life Screenshot 2019.05.28 - 18.50.37.09.jpg
File size
612.4 KiB
Views
662 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Non-steam version does not work, Direct3D or OpenGL.

I mentioned Quake II earlier and said it work great and it still does, however I missed that it too launches at the wrong aspect ratio.

Reply 546 of 782, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Sinko wrote:

Thanks a lot Peixoto, now it works fine, the other version didn't work at all, any plans to allow widescreen? and I have to ask, are you a Brazilian guy?

Glad to hear it

diagonally wrote:
Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA). […]
Show full quote

Hello Peixoto, I'm having trouble using your injector with Little Big Adventure (LBA).

* Playing LBA through LbaWin 0.8.1.
* Installed using the EU version of LBA.
* Using the most recent version of your injector (updated 2019-5-22).
* Any combination of injected settings (xBR scaler, looping music, compatibility options, plugged-in gamepad) causes the issues mentioned below.

The issues I'm having:

* The entire screen is blacked out from the moment the starting Adeline Software logo appears, up until the main menu (can still hear the music/sound effects of the opening logos/cinematics).
* At the main menu, creating a save file (even naming it "auto", as your new save system recommends) or loading a pre-existing save file immediately results in a hang and CTD.

Here is the accompanying error log:

CreateProcessA Hook: 0
CreateProcessW Hook: 0
Succeeded to create the DirectSound interfaces
Desktop 1920x1080
OpenAdapter Hook 0
DDraw.dll : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DDRAW.dll
DirectDrawCreate Hook : 0
Succeeded to create DirectDraw
Succeeded to create Direct3D
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::CreateSurface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::restore
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::EndScene
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::AddViewport
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::EnumDisplayModes
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::SetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::GetViewPort
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DViewport::Clear
Succeeded to hook IDirect3DDevice::Execute
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::flip
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::GetDisplayMode
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::QueryInterface
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPixelFormat
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetSurfaceDesc
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::ReleaseDC
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::GetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::SetPalette
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::SetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawPalette::GetEntries
Succeeded to hook IDirectDrawSurface::Bltfast
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw::SetCooperativeLevel
Succeeded to hook IDirectDraw2::SetCooperativeLevel
So far, so good
CreateFile Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error
CloseHandle Hook : 0 <- 0 means no error

I hope that this is fixable, as playing LbaWin with a gamepad would be great. Thanks for reading.

My display driver crashed and windows reverted to microsoft's basic display driver and coincidentally i reproduced you bug.

So my advice: update your drivers

Reply 548 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dark Reign 2 works with resolution forcing, unsurprisingly (same engine as Army Men RTS).
Edit: actually 3D cutscenes has some pretty severe flickering & 3D redrawing issues.

Gorky17 (dx6) seems to work with forced resolution, until you get into the first battle and characters are invisible. Forced 32-bit color breaks movies.

Reply 551 of 782, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Update:

Neverwinter nights will work now

Added Clive barker's undying

Added High DPI aware compatibility

The program now can be used as a front end for kega fusion and allows xBRz scaling (which looks amazing)

I haven't tried fixing other games. For now i'm gonna focus on releasing support for Direct3D 8,9,10 and 11 with the features i have planed and merging DirectX 6 and earlier, then i'm gonna check those requests, so keep them coming. Right now i'm gonna browse the topic from start to write down a list of requests

Reply 552 of 782, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Peixoto wrote:
willow wrote:

When I launched injector.exe, program said "no target supplied".
Why?

The is a file there called readme.txt

you're supposed to read it

I have readen the readme.txt and I don't know why I have this error. In the readme, it's not explained.

Reply 553 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:

I have readen the readme.txt and I don't know why I have this error. In the readme, it's not explained.

You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help?

Peixoto wrote:

Neverwinter nights will work now

Guessing that made Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic work too. Not without issues though. Framebuffer effects don't render, soft shadows break rendering, skipping opening movies makes the main menu text & 3d invisible, hardware mouse gets wrong coordinates, software mouse isn't constrained to screen, it doesn't detect any screen resolutions (and automatically falls back to 640x480).

Added High DPI aware compatibility

Doesn't work for me. Still have to set display scaling to 100% before trying Battle Isle: Andosia Wars or Etherlords for example. I would test with more games, but adding games does not seem to work in the latest version?

Reply 554 of 782, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ZellSF wrote:
You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help? […]
Show full quote
willow wrote:

I have readen the readme.txt and I don't know why I have this error. In the readme, it's not explained.

You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help?

Peixoto wrote:

Neverwinter nights will work now

Guessing that made Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic work too. Not without issues though. Framebuffer effects don't render, soft shadows break rendering, skipping opening movies makes the main menu text & 3d invisible, hardware mouse gets wrong coordinates, software mouse isn't constrained to screen, it doesn't detect any screen resolutions (and automatically falls back to 640x480).

Added High DPI aware compatibility

Doesn't work for me. Still have to set display scaling to 100% before trying Battle Isle: Andosia Wars or Etherlords for example. I would test with more games, but adding games does not seem to work in the latest version?

I had forgotten to include the option to use mouse hooks on opengl games and also made another omission on the dpi settings.
See if it works now. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will have to wait a bit

Reply 555 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peixoto wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help? […]
Show full quote
willow wrote:

I have readen the readme.txt and I don't know why I have this error. In the readme, it's not explained.

You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help?

Peixoto wrote:

Neverwinter nights will work now

Guessing that made Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic work too. Not without issues though. Framebuffer effects don't render, soft shadows break rendering, skipping opening movies makes the main menu text & 3d invisible, hardware mouse gets wrong coordinates, software mouse isn't constrained to screen, it doesn't detect any screen resolutions (and automatically falls back to 640x480).

Added High DPI aware compatibility

Doesn't work for me. Still have to set display scaling to 100% before trying Battle Isle: Andosia Wars or Etherlords for example. I would test with more games, but adding games does not seem to work in the latest version?

I had forgotten to include the option to use mouse hooks on opengl games and also made another omission on the dpi settings.
See if it works now. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic will have to wait a bit

DPI scaling works now, though I think that adding games is no longer working is a more important bug to address, or does that just happen to me for some reason?

Reply 556 of 782, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ZellSF wrote:

DPI scaling works now, though I think that adding games is no longer working is a more important bug to address, or does that just happen to me for some reason?

That is fixed now. I had modified the program so that it would save new entries in the user folder on "release builds" and on the dev folder on "dev builds", but got the folders switched

Reply 557 of 782, by willow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ZellSF wrote:
willow wrote:

I have readen the readme.txt and I don't know why I have this error. In the readme, it's not explained.

You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help?

I just want to know why this error?

Reply 558 of 782, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
willow wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
willow wrote:

I have readen the readme.txt and I don't know why I have this error. In the readme, it's not explained.

You're right, but why would you run Injector.exe before Help.exe? And why would you not run Help.exe if you needed help?

I just want to know why this error?

Run Help.exe...