PCbi - a retro PC simulator and a 3D front end for PCem

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: PCbi - a retro PC simulator and a 3D front end for PCem

Postby vvbee » 2018-2-19 @ 02:14

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that work is being done as we speak to port pcem's cross-platform interface to 86box.
vvbee

Postby vvbee » 2018-2-24 @ 02:33

I released the seventh version of pcbi.

- Trigger pcem mouse grab from within pcbi by double clicking the monitor screen. Good for immersion. Specific to linux.
- Environment backdrop. Select an image to be shown on a plane behind the computer for extra immersion. The illusion is fragile in this simplistic implementation but the potential is clear.
- Higher quality crt screen. Includes a subtle black border. Sloppily uses many triangles but runs ok anyway on my mid end machine.
- Drive indicator lights work again.

Playing quake in someone's bedroom.
vvbee

Postby vvbee » 2018-2-27 @ 07:34

I released an update to the seventh version of pcbi.

- Windows port.
- Fixed incorrect direction of comparison in an assert that would trip on 32-bit platforms.
- Some ui tweaks.

Pcbi in wine.
Last edited by vvbee on 2018-3-05 @ 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
vvbee

Postby leileilol » 2018-2-27 @ 09:15

It works!

I get a lot of "possible infinite loop" when playing something using VGA 640x480

also a little annoying i can only control the emulator with the headless window hovering above a corner.

noticed the awe32 on the bottom-most ISA slot clips through the monitor

Saving the config file and reloading it seems to mangle the paths for the drive images

(kinda wish the voodoo screen filter were allowed)
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
leileilol
l33t++

Postby vvbee » 2018-2-27 @ 09:44

Cool.

The infinite loop message probably comes from k_monitor.cpp on line 290 if it fires more than once per couple of seconds. The loop asks for a microsecond pause as a leftover from using usleep() and on my system it doesn't return very quickly. Just increase the loop count or timer there if it gets annoying. I'll look to do a better implementation for the next version.

The sound card clipping into the monitor I've ignored since it only affects the awe. The awe is an outlier in size so I suspect it needs a better solution than just moving the motherboard further away from the monitor.

Ideally the pcem window wouldn't be needed visible for mouse grab but I don't know if it's possible. There may be a special type of window in sdl that can be tucked away while still receiving focus.

I've noted some general issues with drive paths in saving. At the moment the save code is a hack that just gets by. I want to write it proper at some point but first I'm passively waiting to come up with a good way to assign components unique ids without having to do it manually.

Specific toggles for components like the screen filter options and sound card ports are mainly a matter of integrating them into the ui without cluttering it. It's very possible, probably through a right-click menu over the component. This needs a rewrite of the save code too. At the moment the options can be manually changed in k_hardware_list.cpp, you'll recognize the pcem string for it there.
vvbee

Postby leileilol » 2018-2-27 @ 23:24

The Voodoo doesn't really have a hardware-based filter toggle and environment variables (i.e. SET_24BPP etc) can turn it off, so i'd default the filter to on. It's only really off because it used to be much slower and my v12 filter commit sped it up quite a bunch. Right now my workaround is to pop open the headerless PCem's machine window and check it back on and reset.

A way to shove ram into the AWE32 dynamically could be cool though, and maybe 3d speakers taking in the sound from the emulator in a similar case with the video while having support for tone/bass/etc knobs on some of them and maybe physics-based emulation so you can potentially snap the pins on the cpu and lose the ability to use that cpu forever and a simulated auction minigame where you have to use virtual emulated currency to snipe ridiculously high auctions
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
leileilol
l33t++

Postby vvbee » 2018-2-28 @ 01:31

The code from the linux tarball will build in windows so the options for now can be set more permanently that way.

The connector code is generic so ram will go into the awe32 so long as you've defined its connector and made appropriate 3d models for it. Problem (or hinderance) is there's no documentation on how to do that at the moment. You might also convert the component structure in k_computer.cpp from a list into a tree for it to handle components on components on components.

I looked into getting the pcem window out of sight while having mouse grab but no full solution came out. On linux you can move the pcem window behind the pcbi window, set the pcbi window to be always on top and engage pcem's mouse lock by double clicking the monitor in pcbi. The pcem window will stay hidden and the mouse and keyboard get passed to it, but the mouse buttons don't. Either something is still trapping them or pcem intercepts them in some way that's incompatible with this setup.

The pcem window isn't much an issue in linux anyway since it's quite small. In windows the pcem menu bar would get in the way of the cursor and prevent mouse lock so the window had to be made larger. Hiding the menu bar there would be a start but I couldn't immediately find a way for it.
vvbee

Postby vvbee » 2018-6-12 @ 21:49

This is now provided as a free linux binary (lol) at www.tarpeeksihyvaesoft.com/soft. No development has been made since the last update nor is any planned at this time.
vvbee

Previous

Return to Release Announcements