VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CoolSoft MIDIMapper (as previously discussed here: Re: WARNING: Currently impossible to change default midi device in Win8) just got an official 1.0.0 release: https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/midimapper

I've attached a copy since the author doesn't seem to mind people mirroring it.

Description:

CoolSoft MIDIMapper is the missing (and needed) MIDI Mapper for Windows 8, 8.1, 10. […]
Show full quote

CoolSoft MIDIMapper is the missing (and needed) MIDI Mapper for Windows 8, 8.1, 10.

It installs as a MIDI Output device and forces itself as MIDI device #0 (read below for an explanation).
It can be managed with a configuration panel accessible from Control Panel or its Start menu icon.

CoolSoft MIDIMapper is not only a configurator for the well known MIDI registry keys (because that "hack" stopped working from Windows 8, see below) but a full althernative to the old Microsoft MIDI Mapper.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Not that I need it but that is great!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 10, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This version and the beta do not work for me. It doesn't appear to actually create a midi device.

I am happy with my current set up. I use a custom Midi port via LoopMidi and PLWMidiMap to select it. Everything is working great with Midi Player VST's in DosBox, ScummVM,
GZDoom, and other programs.

Am I missing out on anything by not getting Coolsoft's to work?

Reply 3 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brad86 wrote:

It's only a must-have for the small subset of games/apps that only use the default MIDI device and don't provide any way to pick a different device.

Reply 4 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why is the installer making my AV software go ape?! Maybe I should just stick with VirtualSynth as it can do the samething and doesn't seem to trigger my AV.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 5 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:
brad86 wrote:

It's only a must-have for the small subset of games/apps that only use the default MIDI device and don't provide any way to pick a different device.

It's a must have on Win8/10 since the default midi mapper is missing. As brad86 has written he is using 'PLWMidiMap to select it' so he is most likely using Win Vista/7 since PLWMidiMap.cpl only works on Win Vista/7 (but not on Win8/10).

CrossBow777 wrote:

Why is the installer making my AV software go ape?! Maybe I should just stick with VirtualSynth as it can do the samething and doesn't seem to trigger my AV.

Current versions of VirtualMidiSynth cannot do the same thing on Win8/10 as CoolSoft MIDIMapper because of the completely missing default midi mapper.
Regarding your AV problem: Nowadays AV solutions tend to be very paranoid and use so called 'reputation based' heuristics. This means programs are flagged as potentially malicious until many people use it. But it's not likely many people will use it since it's flagged... It's actually a catch 22 for small developers. More info:
http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus- … all-developers/
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/blog/2017/ … mall-developers
So if you trust your software developer and use his products make him a favor and report the flagged software as a false positive to your AV vendor.

@Edit:
You must be using ESET/NOD32 since currently it's the only AV engine that detects the installer as malicious. So it's definitely a false positive:
https://virustotal.com/en/file/d62b3615b8e2b8 … 3b0fb/analysis/

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 6 of 10, by brad86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Falcosoft

I am using PLWMidiMap on the newest Windows 10 build.

Though DXX-Rebirth ( Descent Source port ) and Road Rash do not use my midi port even with overriding the selection.

This tells me that I probably do need to use Coolsoft's.

If it worked! 🙁

Reply 7 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

Current versions of VirtualMidiSynth cannot do the same thing on Win8/10 as CoolSoft MIDIMapper because of the completely missing default midi mapper.

Not true, up until about a week ago, I still had virtualsynth installed and was using it on my Win10 - 64bit to select various soundfonts for use. I only eventually deleted it because I haven't been using the virtualsynth mapper much as I have my MT-200 connected up via a Roland UMONE. Additionally, I can choose the UMONE easily in the midiplayers I use and within ScummVM and Dosbox without issue. So virtualsynth wasn't needed anymore.

Could it be that Virtualsynth was working for me due to the fact that my win10 is in fact an upgraded win7? Virtualsynth was installed already when I upgraded and continued to work just fine.

Faclosoft wrote:

You must be using ESET/NOD32 since currently it's the only AV engine that detects the installer as malicious. So it's definitely a false positive:
https://virustotal.com/en/file/d62b3615b8e2b8 … 3b0fb/analysis/

Actually no...both the latest Windows defender and my latest update of Malware Bytes pro, both flagged the installer as malware. Once I allowed that to go through, then the actual midimapper configurator itself would get flagged by both and I had to add exclusions to the entire folder within Syswow64 where it installs.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 8 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@CrossBow777:

Not true, up until about a week ago, I still had virtualsynth installed and was using it on my Win10 - 64bit to select various soundfonts for use.

I don't think you fully understand the purpose of Coolsoft Midi Mapper. It's not to select various soundfonts. The purpose of midi mapper is to select different Midi Out ports as default. VirtualMidiSynth in itself is only one Midi Out port even if you can select different soundfonts in it. In Windows Vista/7 you could use VirtualMidiSynth in itself to select the default Midi Out port:

win7vms1.jpg
Filename
win7vms1.jpg
File size
62.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But on Windows 8/10 because of the missing default midi mapper you also need Coolsoft Midi Mapper to change the default midi out port. Without it you cannot even use the 'Midi mapper' tab of VirtualMidiSynth.

Actually no...both the latest Windows defender and my latest update of Malware Bytes pro, both flagged the installer as malware.

I suspected for a while that some AV vendors do not use the same engines when they scan files through VirusTotal. As you can see on the link I attached above both Microsoft and Malwarebytes say the installer itself is clean.
Yet they flagged it as malicious on your system. What I have said above still holds: it's definitely a false positive. Please report it to your AV vendors. Identifying something that is harmless to be malicious is a failure of the AV engine and it's not better than missing harmful files.

@brad86:

I am using PLWMidiMap on the newest Windows 10 build.

I think you have been simply lucky so far and the selected midi output with PLWMidiMap was accidentally the same one Win10 associated with Midi out port 0. Unfortunately Midi out port 0 is not definite anymore on Win8/10 (can change e.g. when you install another port). PLWMidiMap simply sets the registry key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\MIDIMap. But setting this key is not enough to change default midi out on Win 8/10 anymore.

Reply 9 of 10, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will uninstall MidiMapper tonight and put virtualsynth back in and see as you could be correct in that I only had the midi device selector and perhaps not the midi out option.

on the AV stuff, I believe a large update to Windows 10 came out over the weekend or at least I know my windows defender updated itself over the weekend or Monday night. Malware bytes just generically flagged it stating it contained malware while I recall windows defender actually stated what it was. When I researched that, I found the information about it being a false positive and that is when I eventually setup the exclusions for the installer and the folder it installs to. So could be recent updates to both of these products are flagging it again.

g883j7-2.png

Reply 10 of 10, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will uninstall MidiMapper tonight and put virtualsynth back in and see as you could be correct in that I only had the midi device selector and perhaps not the midi out option.

You don't need to. That's how the 'Midi Mapper' tab of newer VirtualMidiSynths looks like without Coolsoft Midi Mapper installed on Win8/10:

Win10vms.jpg
Filename
Win10vms.jpg
File size
63.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

@Edit: an older VirtualMidiSynth version may show a 'pesudo-working' Midi Mapper->Default Midi Out device section even without Coolsoft Midi Mapper installed (since it can predate the recognition of missing default midi mapper on Win8/10) but actually it cannot work for the same reason PLWMidiMap cannot work on Win8/10.