Well, the mac version anyway 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This is great, now I understand Ryan C Gordon‘s mention of porting the game.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 28, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been placed under a GPL license. I really hope something useful will come out of this in the future. A port for modern systems seems to be possible:

This first release is the original, unaltered source code that was discovered by OtherSide Entertainment and graciously shared with us a few months ago. It is Power Mac native so will require an emulation tool which we’ve linked in the repo. We have been hard at work updating this code and plan to release a new version of System Shock: Enhanced Edition as well as the code in the near future.

More information about the release can be found here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15988580 … k/posts/2135868

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 4 of 28, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, they need to fix the line endings, but cool stuff! Good on them for putting it out there.

SDL port in 5... 4... 3... 😜

Edit: after reading the readme it looks like they decided to leave it as an untouched, original Codewarrior project for OS8/9. That's even cooler, but does explain why Github can't parse the line endings. Now I'm looking at the little iMac G3 with OS9 sitting on my desk here... 😉

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Coming soon to Android. 😁

Actually, now that I remember how horrible the controls were, yes, it's a perfect fit for the platform.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 28, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah does this mean they are giving up on the reboot? Fuck they were so close when they started and they fucked it all up!

EDIT: Or wait I think I misunderstood, is this the original version of the game?

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2018-04-10, 17:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 8 of 28, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, the opposite

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15988580 … k/posts/2135868

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, I did not expect to see the source of this epic game ever. Would have preferred a DOS version, but hopefully all that matters is in this MAC version too.

schmatzler wrote:

... and plan to release a new version of System Shock: Enhanced Edition as well as the code in the near future.

That would be awesome!

This should also be a place to keep an eye on, for things related to this SS1 source code:
SystemShock.org - Deck 13; SS1 source code development

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is an early System Shock windows port by 'Interrupt'. It is called Shockolate, in a link to the idea of Chocolate Doom.
https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock/releases

Reply 11 of 28, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome!

I know what I'm doing this weekend 😊

Is the source posted in C for the 3d rendering or that part just library files?

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 12 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't looked at it really. But I got the impression that it is all in-house developed C code. Sound in DOS was done using Miles Sound System libraries, but since this was the Mac source it had to be done some other way.

Reply 13 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Here is an early System Shock windows port by 'Interrupt'. It is called Shockolate, in a link to the idea of Chocolate Doom.
https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock/releases

There were plenty of improvements since the last v0.60 of August 17. But no compiled Win32 binary since 😒

Reply 14 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And on the very same day I complained, these guys made v0.7.0 available 😀 Thumbs up!

New in v0.7.0:
- XMI music playback via the AdlMidi FM synthesizer
- Generative music AI re-enabled
- Portable mode
- Key bindings can be updated in a config file
- Gamma slider works again
- Tons of bug fixes - thanks @donnierussellii !

Reply 15 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a new release:

New in v0.7.5:
- Midi playback via FluidSynth, supporting soundfonts.
- Toggle to switch between FluidSynth and AdlMidi music modes
- Upgrading SDL Mixer to 2.0.4
- Upgrading SDL to 2.0.9
- CMake now uses the locally built SDL from build_deps instead of the systemwide one

Just tested it on a Windows XP machine with intel graphics, but compared to v0.60 it introduces some issues there:
- To use the mouse I need to alt-tab away and back, once.
- Default gamma is very dark, setting it to max looks like it should be.
- Included fluidsynth dll wants newer windows. Need to grab a fluidsynth dll from Dune dynasty or ZdoomLE.

Reply 16 of 28, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
There is a new release: […]
Show full quote

There is a new release:

New in v0.7.5:
- Midi playback via FluidSynth, supporting soundfonts.
- Toggle to switch between FluidSynth and AdlMidi music modes
- Upgrading SDL Mixer to 2.0.4
- Upgrading SDL to 2.0.9
- CMake now uses the locally built SDL from build_deps instead of the systemwide one

Just tested it on a Windows XP machine with intel graphics, but compared to v0.60 it introduces some issues there:
- To use the mouse I need to alt-tab away and back, once.
- Default gamma is very dark, setting it to max looks like it should be.
- Included fluidsynth dll wants newer windows. Need to grab a fluidsynth dll from Dune dynasty or ZdoomLE.

I'm working away from home for the next week and a half, so I can't test Shockolate (the open source port). So how does it compare to normal System Shock, does it do everything the original does (same speed, same sound, no crashes or bugs, etc), or is it still a while away from being a suitable replacement for the original game?

I don't really see why there is a fan-made Windows port of the source code, since there are already the System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and the official source port (the official source port is free with the Enhanced Edition, I got them from the brilliant gog.com), and of course there is both the upcoming official remake of System Shock (now supposedly out in 2010), plus Josiah Jack's fan-made free remake is due out some time later this year, but I am keen to try it out, and it must be a very interesting project for the person/people who are making the port.

The company (Nightdive Studios) who are making the official remake recently posted a video of the first level (medical) being played through. It does look very promising despite it being pre-alpha footage, and as they say "This is not final! There are missing enemies, weapons, effects, and sounds.". Have a look and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdiaIRkjpI0

(How do you post videos on this forum so that you see the not-yet-played-video as a screen, please?)

Reply 17 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote:

I don't really see why there is a fan-made Windows port of the source code, since there are already the System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and the official source port (the official source port is free with the Enhanced Edition, I got them from the brilliant gog.com),

😐

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 28, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

I don't really see why there is a fan-made Windows port of the source code, since there are already the System Shock: Enhanced Edition, and the official source port (the official source port is free with the Enhanced Edition, I got them from the brilliant gog.com),

😐

I'm certainly not saying that there shouldn't be a fan-made port, it just seems a little strange to me that someone is bothering making a straight, basic, unimproved port, when most ports of game engines tend to have genuine improvements in them, not only regarding the game's controls and graphics, but also support new features or remove limits of the original game engine.

Game engine ports for Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, etc allow game modders to make mods, maps, and total conversions that can't be run on the original game engine, but Shockolate is, according to it's maker, intended to be just a straight port of the game engine.

Even if that is all he's aiming for, then he's free to do it, of course, and hopefully he really enjoys it. And hopefully his new engine, being open source, will be capable of being ported to other computers (than the PC) and consoles (this fantastic game deserves as much exposure as possible). But I can't help thinking that perhaps his/her port would be of much more relevance if it had some tangible benefits over the official, already running fine on Windows, versions. Maybe it will have later on, we'll have to wait and see.

Reply 19 of 28, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Who cares about relevance, someone's doing a cool thing and they're sharing it. In so doing, they might get better at solving problems and go on to achieve even greater things or they might not. And that's okay!
Furthermore, let's say someone sees this, takes a look at the code and is inspired to go and do something similar or add to it or whatever. The more the merrier I say.