VOGONS

System Shock GPLed

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not going to try to advertise what needs no advertising. But some things to consider, in no particular order:
- For example; when OpenDune matured it was forked to what became Dune Dynasty. No OpenDune = No Dune Dynasty.
- Shockolate has a new OpenGL renderer.
- Shockolate seems to have a few bugs, I had some crashes when trying to enter cyberspace, but not consistently.
- Personally I have little interest in what Nightdive Studios did/does except for releasing the source.
- Without the actual source you don't get source ports, but re-imagined games.
- System Shock Enhanced is an oddball project wrapping a DOS executable to Win32. I have never seen such a project before. All good, but a solid source port is preferable.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 24 of 28, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering all the versions of System Shock:

- The original DOS version of System Shock, which came on floppy disc,

- The extended DOS version that came on CD-ROM,

- The Apple Macintosh version of the game,

- The unofficial (and not very legal) Windows package of the game plus various mods and DOSBOx that used to be available,

- The official (and totally legal) Windows package of the game plus various mods and DOSBOx that used to be available,

- The official port of the Apple Macintosh source code to Windows,

- The unofficial fan-made port of the Apple Macintosh version to Windows,

- The upcoming official remake of the game for Windows,

- The upcoming unofficial remake of the game for Windows (which is due soon),

we probably only need a virtual reality version, a Linux version, and a version of the game that comes with pre-order bonuses, and System Shock will have done it all!

It's like Blood, sort of. That (great) game came out first for DOS, then when Windows XP came along it was very difficult to get it working on modern systems, even if your PC was fast enough then to play the game at full speed in DOSBox, so several ports of the game (not source ports though, as Blood's source code was never released) were began, including at least two in the Doom engine. I think the only one that was worth bothering with was ZBlood, but I might be mis-remembering it. And now we have three ports to look forwarded to; the very good BloodGDX*, which is almost perfect on the single player side (I've not tried the multiplayer), the also very good NBlood (https://forums.duke4.net/topic/10456-release- … ased-on-eduke32), and the upcoming official port of Blood, from Night Dive Software (http://www.nightdivestudios.com/)

* BloodGDX is no longer available as a download itself, it's now part of the really good BuildGDX, that plays Blood, TechWar and Witchaven:

https://m210.duke4.net/

Reply 25 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Just tested it on a Windows XP machine with intel graphics, but compared to v0.60 it introduces some issues there:
- To use the mouse I need to alt-tab away and back, once.

Using an older SDL2.dll, like from v0.7.0, resolves this.

Noticed that v0.7.6 is available since past weekend. Midi music options are plenty now.

Reply 26 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a new test package up which seems to show v0.7.8. (edit: it is listed in github as v0.8.0)
Many commits since april 2019.
An x64 test binary was added next to the x86 one.

Briefly tested the x86 version on a Windows XP machine with intel graphics:
- Savegames from v0.7.7 do not load anymore and crash the game.
New savegames work fine, also savegames from the DOS CD version seem to load fine now.
- v0.7.7 tended to have annoying crashes when using elevators, not with v0.7.8 so far!

Minor things:
- This is still there "To use the mouse I need to alt-tab away and back, once." SDL2.dll related; use the v.0.7.0 one.
- This is still there "Default gamma is very dark"
- This is still there "Included fluidsynth dll wants newer windows."

Last edited by gerwin on 2020-01-02, 18:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 28 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-01-02, 02:11:

i think they've derailed the chocolate philosophy by now if save compatibility breaks...

AFAIK they broke it earlier by using some v12 format, but reverted to classic v11 now:
https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock/comm … b8aa39d03ccf584
Only thing is that it cannot read its previous v12 format again without crashing.