DOSBox 0.74-2 has been released

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 54, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

I appreciate the effort Jason did in writing this blog and trying all of that out, but I'm frankly surprised that he didn't find out that SciTech Display Doctor is freeware these days. A little bit of googling would have turned that up pretty quickly.

Although to be fair, apparently, the legal status of version 7.0 beta, which is said to be the only version that works with recent versions of VirtualBox, is less clear. I can't link directly to the article that talks about it, since it shares a download link and a legally ambiguous license key for that version.

Reply 42 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trying to compile 0.74-2 with Visual Studio 2017.

All libs have been recompiled with 2017 to fix issues with toolsets, certain functions, etc.

I am getting these errors when it goes to link:

1>gameblaster.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall saa1099_device::saa1099_device(struct machine_config const &,char const *,class device_t *,unsigned int)" (??0saa1099_device@@QAE@ABUmachine_config@@PBDPAVdevice_t@@I@Z)
1>gameblaster.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall saa1099_device::control_w(int,int,unsigned char)" (?control_w@saa1099_device@@QAEXHHE@Z)
1>gameblaster.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall saa1099_device::data_w(int,int,unsigned char)" (?data_w@saa1099_device@@QAEXHHE@Z)
1>tandy_sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sn76496_base_device::write(unsigned char)" (?write@sn76496_base_device@@QAEXE@Z)
1>tandy_sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall sn76496_base_device::convert_samplerate(int)" (?convert_samplerate@sn76496_base_device@@QAEXH@Z)
1>tandy_sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall sn76496_device::sn76496_device(struct machine_config const &,char const *,class device_t *,unsigned int)" (??0sn76496_device@@QAE@ABUmachine_config@@PBDPAVdevice_t@@I@Z)
1>tandy_sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall ncr8496_device::ncr8496_device(struct machine_config const &,char const *,class device_t *,unsigned int)" (??0ncr8496_device@@QAE@ABUmachine_config@@PBDPAVdevice_t@@I@Z)

Do I need precompiled libs for the gameblaster and tandy sound or is something else going on here?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43 of 54, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Good question. I probably forgot to add the sa and sn files to the project file.
Go to hardware/sound in your project navigation and click on add. Add all *.c and *.h files from the folder hardware/mame. That should fix it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 44 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

Good question. I probably forgot to add the sa and sn files to the project file.
Go to hardware/sound in your project navigation and click on add. Add all *.c and *.h files from the folder hardware/mame. That should fix it.

That did it! Thanks! 😀

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 45 of 54, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me that I need to update my VS guide and test with the latest VS version.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 46 of 54, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Reminds me that I need to update my VS guide and test with the latest VS version.

I'm working on build instructions for 2017 as well as a full project package.
Pretty much just have to tweak a few settings as well as change include and lib folders to relative paths for the project package.

This is in preparation for my optimization "fork" which should yield a nice 20%+ reduction in needed CPU cycles. Guessing more overall as the last time I did this was years ago and only optimized a few of the source files.

You looking at trying out VS 2019 Preview?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 47 of 54, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup 2019 and need to update my guide with the mingw ones and then finish and upload the linux guide.
Then the OSX guide which should be fun since all I have is OSX in vmware but should be enough. Don't think you can cross compile for OSX from linux.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 48 of 54, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just noticed that the Dosbox repository package on my Arch Linux (64-bit) system was updated and it seems to work nicely. Dynamic core works, and freezing/crashing issues with GTA are gone too. Thanks!

Reply 49 of 54, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I normally do not use dosbox, but I randomly do a test and then I remember why I do not like it.

Yesterday:
iMac 17" 10.6.8 two ready to useable ports I got from the web:
- Biomenace 1-3
- MortalKombat3
Both have the same problem. They are far from being smooth like on the real machine.

Biomance: Vertical-Scrolling is 100% smooth on the real machine, in my DosBox-Port it stutters.
Mortalkombat3: Horizontal-Scrolling in Game stutters obviosly, and the vertical-scrolling when choosing the "difficulty" too.

Are these examples a configurational error, or are these inevitable?

Btw: Adlib sounds really bad too (LostVikings e.g)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 50 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

useable ports? What do you mean? Did you use them with Dosbox 0.74-2 or with something else? Not to mention that these games likely need more horsepower.

Sound might be better in a SVN built (as mine in the signature)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 51 of 54, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Biomance: Vertical-Scrolling is 100% smooth on the real machine, in my DosBox-Port it stutters.
Mortalkombat3: Horizontal-Scrolling in Game stutters obviosly, and the vertical-scrolling when choosing the "difficulty" too.

That's what you get with 70Hz games on a 60Hz display, stuttering.
They are innevitible unless you create a new resolution in your OS with 70Hz (like 1920x1080 @ 70Hz) and run dosbox.
Yes MK3 needs more power.

Adlib sounds great in dosbox.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 54 of 54, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So please use Dosbox 0.74-2 if you report your problems here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper