l33t++

https://store.steampowered.com/app/692840/Und … orld_Ascendant/

Unknown if it's any good but as far as DRM:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/692840/discuss … 106661719978481

This was posted in the most recent Weekly Update: […]
Show full quote

This was posted in the most recent Weekly Update:

Steam vs DRM-Free Key?
As I've mentioned in another thread, we were caught by surprise that GoG could not host Underworld Ascendant at launch. We still need to fulfill our DRM-free promise, but as of right now, we are unclear if UWA will be hosted on GoG after launch as well. To play it safe, we're asking all backers to choose their key assuming that there may not be a GoG launch.

Please also note that the Steam key is actually DRM-free. You can play UWA offline and without launching Steam after you download the game.

Also WTF GOG. Guess you don't like $$ (assuming the game is worth it).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CHECKPOINT SAVING. Placed by the player with a sapling item which are admittedly unlimited. But still. Checkpoint saving in an immersive sim.
.. At least that’s how it first appears, but if one looks closely at the save screen it states clearly “Save points only save progress made since leaving the opening portal level”. I really, REALLY hoped that this didn’t mean what I thought it meant but… it does. Progress lost on quitting. On reloading the save, it places you at the beginning of the level.

Oh well. I'm out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm playing wait and see. I played through both Underworlds in the last couple of years, so the originals are fresh in my mind still. After reading reviews on Steam, it seems very unfinished. I expect similar mixed reviews and disappointment when System Shock Remastered eventually comes out. Hopefully GOG eventually stocks it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks