VOGONS

Reply 21 of 33, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mister Xiado wrote:

Remember the Shadow Warrior expansion pack that was found on a random CDR in a closet by accident? Let's drink to forget the Xbox development system that was destroyed out of stupidity.

There was actually a followup on that Xbox - the drive likely (keyword: LIKELY) didn't contain anything at all which is slightly relieving. The parts inside of the machine are likely framed on his wall at this point... because street cred I guess. 😵 https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comment … vrcy/?context=3

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 22 of 33, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote:

Don't forget that the source code is completely useless though. It's really not worth anything. We already know how it works and how it must look like, and other people have re-implemented the old Sierra engines already.

He's not releasing engine code, nor ever had it. He is releasing game code which is much, much more interesting:

if girl.is_hot:
larry.erection++

The code comments must be a blast.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 23 of 33, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just tried to check the listing to see how much it has reached/for how much it was sold but I can't find it anymore. A google search led to "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available". Any ebay expert who can tell us what happened? My first thought is that the price was not high enough for nice guy Al, but I don't really know how pulling a listing and making it unavailable works on ebay. It may have been something simper and fair, for example right owners contacting him like many of us expected.

Reply 26 of 33, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:

Another possible reason would be that he got an offer outside ebay and cancelled the auction.

Or he finally spoke to a lawyer. Or the bidders did and realized you don't own something if the seller didn't either. Or eBay lawyers stepped in.

The short story is you can't sell what you don't own. It's not like reselling a book - that falls under first sale doctrine. There was no first sale of the source code as it was never sold* - it remains the property of the owner.

The irony is he was probably forced to hand over all the disks for nothing to whoever owns the IP, whereas if he didn't try and profit from them they would have been none the wiser.

*technically it has been sold, over and over from what I understand, but not to Al.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 27 of 33, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The IP has been sold so many times I bet nobody can show a piece of paper in court that they actually own it. Reminds me of house deeds that were packaged and sold so many times nobody can get a real title for one anymore.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 28 of 33, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Codemasters owns LSL.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 30 of 33, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know...

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 32 of 33, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

This opens up a possibility of making perfect remakes

Pretty sure Activision (IIRC) went after him because of some source code they own, I don't think this auction was completed.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 33 of 33, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Pretty sure Activision (IIRC) went after him because of some source code they own, I don't think this auction was completed.

No. It was the Larry code, which Codemasters own. The Activision demand was based upon "shared code"; i.e. the systems scripts that was used in all SCI games. There was no interpreter source with what he was auctioning. Thing is that Activision's legal posturing was silly as these scripts for over 3 decades old games have already been leaked and/or decompiled, so the code he was selling would have revealed little more than comments and coding styles.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers