Simple fix for Discworld Noir in WinXP-Win10

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Simple fix for Discworld Noir in WinXP-Win10

Postby Jiri » 2019-1-10 @ 15:24

There is finally a simple solution for running of Discworld Noir in WinXP-Win10 thanks to fix by Loma.
It was released few months ago but I found it just now and since it is missing on this forum, I will copy here some info I have found about it on the net.
How to use it: Just install the game, put the files from fix by Loma into the game directory and run dn.exe.
Additional info: There should be no more menu or cutscenes crashes etc. Alt+tab should work for programs switching while alt+enter for switching fullscreen/windows is not recommended. In the original version is in-game gamma option that is missing with this fix so use graphics card drivers settings or freeware programs like Gamma Panel, Free Monitor Manager, dgVoodoo2 etc.
Last edited by Jiri on 2019-1-10 @ 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Jiri

Re: Simple fix for Discworld Noir in WinXP-Win10

Postby KainXVIII » 2019-1-10 @ 20:59

Fix worked for me and now game runs on Windows 10, but not without issues:
-aspect ratio is not preserved, so image is stretched on widescreen resolutions
-and mouse cursor has no restrictions and can float far below screen boundaries lol
KainXVIII

Postby Jiri » 2019-1-10 @ 22:23

KainXVIII wrote:-aspect ratio is not preserved, so image is stretched on widescreen resolutions
-and mouse cursor has no restrictions and can float far below screen boundaries lol

1) The original game has aspect ratio 640x480 and the patch stretches it so the whole screen of modern monitor is filled. I think that it doesn't look too bad (I have just 16:10 monitor, it would be worse on ultra-wide) and I personally prefer this than having black borders on the sides. Still an option to choose would be nice so all players are satisfied.
2) You are right, it can float below and also to the right side. But I noticed it during gameplay only after you mentioned it so also no big problem for me. :-)
Still the author of the patch should be informed about these issues but I don't know how to contact him.
Jiri

Postby realnc » 2019-1-11 @ 10:55

KainXVIII wrote:Fix worked for me and now game runs on Windows 10, but not without issues:
-aspect ratio is not preserved, so image is stretched on widescreen resolutions

You should be able to make a custom 4:3 resolution. On a 1080p display, you can add a 1440x1080 mode, which is 4:3 but still native (meaning no blurring.) You can then select the "keep aspect ratio" setting in the video driver.
realnc

Return to Release Announcements