VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's alive and kicking. http://classictechnology.herokuapp.com

I went ahead and added some real content. Just a links page so far.

My goal is for the website to be a very active place, with something new and fun up on the homepage frequently.

If anybody is interested in helping out by writing articles, adding information, etc., I'd be honored!

One of my main goals is compatibility; i.e. it should load and render properly on almost anything. I'd appreciate testing from various machines if anyone is interested in posting screenshots.

I am open to input and ideas. Here in this thread I will post updates when they occur.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of curiosity, what have you adopted for your platform (inside the Heroku "dyno" container)?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's using node.js. The server code is really quite small. TBH I haven't delved much into it. I was new to the platform when I started and my roommate set me up with it, using some code he'd written previously... all it does is blindly serve requested files via HTTP. The only modification I had to make to it was a few lines to get it to serve arbitrary requested files.

If I had my druthers, the thing would be running off of a real DOS computer using MTCP or something. That way I could also have an FTP server. But that is a big project that will have to wait for another day; I don't even have a static IP right now.

Reply 3 of 12, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This website has good retro browser compatibility. A collection of random readme files both tech related and otherwise. Not sure if its what you are looking for but it might be worthy of being included in your list of links:

http://www.textfiles.com

Reply 4 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gca wrote:

This website has good retro browser compatibility. A collection of random readme files both tech related and otherwise. Not sure if its what you are looking for but it might be worthy of being included in your list of links:

http://www.textfiles.com

I like it. I'll add it to the list; thanks!

Reply 5 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some more content has been added.

There is also now an FTP server for the website: ftp://casablanca25.mynetgear.com
We will see where that goes.

Reply 7 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gca wrote:

Just tried accessing your FTP server on my Fedora 7 box using Konqueror 3.5.9 and it works just fine. Thought you would like to know.

Thank you for testing!

Reply 9 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

It's using node.js. The server code is really quite small. TBH I haven't delved much into it. I was new to the platform when I started and my roommate set me up with it, using some code he'd written previously... all it does is blindly serve requested files via HTTP. The only modification I had to make to it was a few lines to get it to serve arbitrary requested files.

I appreciate the irony of using such a bleeding-edge trendy hipster platform (node.js) to serve vintage hardware pages. Good job! 😁

Although you shouldn't put the "W3C HTML 3.2 Validated" badge on a page that is not valid HTML 3.2 😜

That said, HTML 3.2 is a good compromise between backwards compatibility and functionality, I think. HTML 2.0 is missing a lot, and HTML 4.01 support doesn't appear until *shudder* IE6.

I wrote the low-fi version of VogonsDrivers to HTML 2.0, it's spartan to say the least hahaha

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I appreciate the irony of using such a bleeding-edge trendy hipster platform (node.js) to serve vintage hardware pages. Good job!

Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty ironic. Honestly, we will see whether I stick with node.js.

SquallStrife wrote:

Although you shouldn't put the "W3C HTML 3.2 Validated" badge on a page that is not valid HTML 3.2

Yes, you are correct, of course - I put that badge on there back when it WAS valid HTML 3.2, but not any more and I don't know whether I am actually interested in making it that way. Maybe practical browser support is more important. I may remove the badge.

Reply 11 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Yes, you are correct, of course - I put that badge on there back when it WAS valid HTML 3.2, but not any more and I don't know whether I am actually interested in making it that way. Maybe practical browser support is more important. I may remove the badge.

Maybe instead get some of those "Looks best in Netscape / IE" badges! 😜

E.g.

best-viewed.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 12, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe I should make my own badge, which says "A computer is required in order to view this website properly" or "downgrade your browser for best performance".