First post, by ViTi95
I'm happy to announce FastDoom for DOS, a port of Doom based on PCDoom by @nukeykt. The goal of this port is to make it as fast as posible for 386/486 personal computers. It includes code from other ports as Crispy Doom, MBF and Russian Doom, as well the original PSX and Jaguar Doom ports, so I send kudos to them.
The main differences between the original Doom and FastDoom are these (as of version 0.3):
- Added FPS ingame viewer. Enabled with "-fps"
- Added FPS calculation after timedemo runs
- Added option to render visplanes (ceiling and floors) without textures. Enable with "-flatsurfaces"
- Added option to render Spectres and invisible objects like real transparent objects (harder to see, a little faster to render). Enable with "-flatshadows"
- Added option to render sky as a flat fixed color. Enable with "-flatsky"
- Added option to render Spectre and invisible objects like the Sega Saturn port did. Enable with "-saturn"
- New option to show only objects that are not far away from the player. All the enemies are still rendered as they're important. Enabled with "-near"
- PC Speaker uses all sounds available (just for fun!)
- Lot's of optimizations to make the game run faster / smoother
- Removed low memory limit (may cause crashes with low RAM)
- NEW DETAIL LEVEL: POTATO. It renders the full scene with a quarter width resolution (max 80x200). 16-bit ISA video cards can play the game full screen much better!! My Western Digital Paradise PVGA1A ISA (1989) can render the game at a constant >25 fps with a 486DX-50. Enabled with "-potato" command parameter and low detail selected
- New option to allow more than 8Mb of memory allocation. Enabled with "-ram"
- Removed network gaming support
- Removed joystick support
- Removed Y mouse movement (move forward/backwards)
Here it's a live demo I recorded in one of my test benchs (Intel 486DX-33, WD Paradise PVGA1A ISA, Aztech AZT2320 ISA)
Feel free to send any suggestion or ideas to make this port even faster!
BTW my English is a work in progress 😅