VOGONS

First post, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been told that the official patch you find on this page includes VDMS. It was released 2 days ago.

http://www.dlh.net/cgi-bin/dp.cgi?lang=eng&ca … t=date&count=25

Reply 2 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zorbid wrote:

I've been told that the official patch you find on this page includes VDMS.

That is confirmed, it's VDMSound v2.04. No update files and no GUI-Launcher. Wonder if they ever contacted Vlad about this? Heh.

Reply 3 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kick their ass, Seabass! 😀

Haven't looked at the files since I'm using a friends 56k but if it's that big then they are likely packaging the original Daggerfall files and including a script to install Daggerfall and then cut/pasting the files from the .zip into the Installed daggerfall...

If they are including original Daggerfall files with VDMSound then mabye we should sick Bethesda on 'em. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 31, by Drogg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Kick their ass, Seabass! 😀

Haven't looked at the files since I'm using a friends 56k but if it's that big then they are likely packaging the original Daggerfall files and including a script to install Daggerfall and then cut/pasting the files from the .zip into the Installed daggerfall...

If they are including original Daggerfall files with VDMSound then mabye we should sick Bethesda on 'em. 😉

Bethesda released the patch, from what I understand. Though its unsupported by them.

Reply 5 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I fail to see how this is a GPL violation. Of course, I haven't downloaded the patch to see what they've done.. Vlad shall have to look at it. But they're probably okay.

Hm, if Bethesda's willing to do this, maybe they'll be willing to do an unsupported 3dfx patch to Battlespire, eh Nicht? 😉

Reply 6 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Hm, if Bethesda's willing to do this, maybe they'll be willing to do an unsupported 3dfx patch to Battlespire, eh Nicht? 😉

Yeah, right. You'll see it appear right after the Amiga 5000 hits the market.

Reply 8 of 31, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psz wrote:

The Amiga One just came out earlier this month, so... ;->

Well, that's not a 5000. It's actually debatable whether or not you could actually call it an Amiga. It still appears that using any "classic" Amiga software is done by using UAE. Appears to be a PowerPC Linux box with an AmigaOS interface.

Looks interesting, but it also looks like it's basically a Linux machine. So, no patch.

Reply 9 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just downloaded it and took a look. Don't be too excited because it's just the Daggerfall files (Dunno if it's the whole CD, gonna check tonight...it's probably all the files needed just to access the CD).

Looks like they just

1. Installed Daggerfall.
2. Patched Daggerfall to v2.13
3. Created a new .pif for memory.
4. Created a Dagger.bat that references DOSDRV
5. Included VDMSound v2.0.4
6. Zipped up Daggerfall and wrote up some lousy instructions.
7. Good work Bethesda! About the only from this is if it IS the full game. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 31, by Unregistered

User metadata

Just looked at this....

This is where it originated....

http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showfl … sb=5&o=7&fpart=

As far as I can tell it is not an "official" patch.

But if you really want to know the full story you can ask um!

(And if you are going to delete accounts for inactivity *annoying* why do you let people post as Unregistered?)

Reply 15 of 31, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. Maybe Vlad will email that person. Or maybe the administrator or one of the moderators will.

It's still legal, AFAIK, for them to do what they did. It's just inadvisable, given the number of VDMSound patches, tweaks, and given that it may see an update soon(ish).

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 16 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A while back (around a year ago?), Bethesda was sending people CDRs to help get Daggerfall installed and running under Win2K/XP. I sent away for one and got it, but it didn't help much (I think I got the game working but it still had the same timing problems as I had under DOS/Win9x that made walking in towns and jumping not work correctly)

I've been thinkng of trying to get it working again in XP, possibly with SpeedSet. Unfortunately I can't get the VDMSound GUI working at the moment so I'll have to wait until I get a reply on that thread first 🙁

Reply 18 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are only 3 files on the CD, so I'll just post the results here. The MD5 program you linked was a pain in the ass - I had to copy the files from the CD to my hard drive before it would generate checksums for them (and not because it wanted to place the .MD5 file on the CD either). Anyways, I think the .exe file is some sort of self-extracting archive. If you want, I suppose I could try to get at its contents (WinACE can't do anything with it directly, except report that it's an archive of some unknown type)

I've also attached the README.txt file for anyone who is interested. Please note the following:
- It explicitly mentions including VDMSound v2.0.4.
- I received this CD in the mail (completely free of charge) as a result of sending an email to a Bethesda Softworks employee
- The CD is a MITSUI CD-R that has two things handwritten on it with a marker: "See Readme File" and "Dag-NT5x Install"

My guess is that it is a compressed minimal install of the latest patched version of the game, as the readme tells you how to edit the config file to point to the game CD.

Attachments

• Filename
    dagnt5x.md5
    File size
    379 Bytes
    Downloads
    480 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I could only attach 1 file to each post, so here is the readme. Also, the volume label of the CD is "DAGNT5X" and it has both ISO9660 and Joliet filesystems.

Attachments

• Filename
    readme.txt
    File size
    946 Bytes
    Downloads
    405 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception