VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

max232 draws a lot together with the mouse it could be too much. But currently it is not my problem. The problem is, that RTS is at -12V and toggles very shortly to +12V and back to -12V in that period I have to initialize the MCU and finalize serial initialization to get the mouse driver to eventually flip the voltage back to 12V again. It's a bit more complicated, than looks like at the first glance. I don't want to tell anything wrong now, but I'm in it and will report as soon as I got more info.

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 21 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. Good luck with that ^^

By the way in the link I sent, that person made a small comparison list with several drivers (including the MAX232) and apparently there's a chip named "1488" that draws less current

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 23 of 28, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of -12V, would your adapter (or Matze's adapter for that matter) work on a system lacking a -12V rail?

I'm looking for a solution that would work in a Tandy 1000 that would be powered by a PicuPSU, which, as I understand it, cannot provide -12V. This computer lacks integrated serial ports and doesn't use -12V internally by default, but routes the -12V rail to the expansion bus, to be used by expansion cards that have a serial port. So I'm kind of wondering how/if a serial port would work with an adapter like yours in such a system without -12V power available.

Thanks. 🙂

Reply 24 of 28, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mixed something. PicoPSU doesn't have -5V, but it has -12V, just as required by ATX standard. If you have serial port in your PC, you also will have -12V by specification.

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 26 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Resurrecting this thread to report that the adapter works flawlessly with A4 TECH OP-620D mouse.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 28, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-20, 07:46:

Resurrecting this thread to report that the adapter works flawlessly with A4 TECH OP-620D mouse.

The cheap one that's also sold on Amazon? Nice touch as it does not even mention PS/2 compatibility anywhere.
I guess you also used the "usual" USB-> PS/2 plug for that to attach it to the adapter?

ps2.jpg
Filename
ps2.jpg
File size
13.42 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 28 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
1541 wrote on 2023-12-20, 08:35:
The cheap one that's also sold on Amazon? Nice touch as it does not even mention PS/2 compatibility anywhere. I guess you also u […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2023-12-20, 07:46:

The cheap one that's also sold on Amazon? Nice touch as it does not even mention PS/2 compatibility anywhere.
I guess you also used the "usual" USB-> PS/2 plug for that to attach it to the adapter?
ps2.jpg

Yes and yes to both.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.