VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2021-02-24, 18:10:

tested mce in cga-mode on tandy1000 rl/hd with nec71vm.
it works great. minor issue, textmode and graphicsmode differ up to 5mm to the left.

will check if I can get a smaller image-setting so everything is visible.

Differ to what?
I had the same problem of the picture starting drawing very close to the edge, like in the overscan area of a regular TV. Using a Tandy 1000HX. The composite output is fine, I can only assume it's how the RGBI output is done, as it was expected to be displayed on a CGA monitor without overscan (while a TV uses the composite cable.)

Reply 41 of 43, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Autocenter on TFT in textmode (like volkov/norton commander).
Monitor is on 640x240 Pixels.
Starting a game the picture in graphics mode seems to be shifted 5mm to the left.
Option1: Autocenter on TFT
Option2: Moving the picture 5mm to the left and making it a bit smaller.

though the image is better on function "auto center" on TFT I currently push the center-button on changing text/graphics-mode.
not perfect, but best quality.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 43 of 43, by jkobior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and welcome,

A very old device sends a TTL signal in the CGA standard, but monochrome, i.e. RGB as one signal. I would like to get a monochrome CVBS signal from this. It's probably much simpler than your MCE project. Can I ask you for a diagram?

Best regards, Jan Kobior
jkobior@gmail.com

quote=scorp post_id=934661 time=1612624830 user_id=40266]
Hello there,

just wanted to briefly introduce another small project of my - a MCE-Adapter. You can use it to connect old PCs to a 15kHz capable RGB/VGA Monitor or to use it with Sync converters like GBS-8200. I made it to be able to use my Hercules, CGA and EGA graphics cards, but may be someone else will find it useful as well. The project is completely open source, both hardware and software.

Features:
- Converts digital MDA, Hercules, CGA, low-res EGA, high-res EGA to analog RGBS or RGBHV/VGA signal
- Color DAC for 3, 4, 16 and 64 color modes
- Switchable composite sync from H- and V-Sync
- Loop through HV-Sync, colors conversion only mode
- Switchable composite sync inversion
- Includes IBM's "brown-hack"for CGA and 16-colors EGA modes
- Switchable green and white monochrome screen emulation

You can find the project here:
https://github.com/necroware/mce-adapter

I also made a video series about it on my youtube channel, if you are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3yLX52ZEs&l … uGk6_uk54765G1t
[/quote]