VOGONS

Reply 100 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATI had a stronger presence in the current generation of consoles as well.

3dfx was another marketing-driven company that rubbed me the wrong way. They pushed their proprietary Glide API on everyone and started making ridiculously large cards based on the same tech instead of working to truly innovate. I actually bought an nVidia TNT1 when 3dfx was still king, because I didn't want to support 3dfx.

I also bought an Asus Xonar DX because I didn't want to support Creative...

My last GPU purchase, though, was the just-released Radeon HD5870, which was the top single-GPU card on the market at the time. I was sick of buying value hardware and having it go obsolete in under 2 years. I was also sick of SLI bugs from my laptop's nVidia 8700M GT SLI setup and my previous desktop's nVidia 7800GTX SLI setup.

So I guess I lean towards Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs, which I know is weird.

Reply 101 of 112, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not weird it's normal. Intel has better CPU and AMD better GPU.
Last Gen, bests CPU were intel and best GPU nVidia.
Gen before, Best CPU Intel and best GPU ATI.
Gen before, best CPU AMD and GPU nVidia.

etc ...

Sticking to a brand is just dumb. It just makes them release 1000€ 680s renamed titan to milk you more, or sell 660Ti cards renamed as 680 for 450€ when the 7970 GHz is 15% faster and sold 380€ with 4 games (I don't see how that's any kind of "similar" price btw).

Even if AMD drivers were actually bad I'd go for them on this gen. But I must be lucky, the 20+ games I've beeen playing lately all worked flawlessly on my AMD card. But yeah, i'm sure skyrim works better on 8800 than 2900. Well, those rare 8800 still alive or that ovens resurected.

And if by accident people get a brain and keep the market safe by going to the best perf/cost ratio every gen, I guess we'll pay our cards less since each generation the loser of the previous one will do more interesting cards.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 102 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah many of the G8x and G9x cards failed. But I still know of many in the wild. Lots of people are still using those generations. Radeon 2000 and 3000 bombed by comparison, which is likely why support isn't great for them.

Reply 103 of 112, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I totally skipped 2000/3000, since nV was much better 😁
Sadly, of all my (desktop) 8800 and (laptop) 8600s, only on 512MB 8800GT is still alive !

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 105 of 112, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crimson seems to be screwing up textures for AMD users in Fallout 4. Either you get a rainbow checkboard pattern or one extremely loud, neon color over a certain object until you get close to it and it returns to normal. Some are saying ambient occlusion is the problem, others say Godrays or how wet textures are handled but I haven't gotten any of the "fixes" people are saying work to work on mine. Going to have to wait for Bethesda to roll out a patch to fix it, I guess. 😠

Just thought I'd post this here since the thread is stickied anyway.

Reply 106 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I took the free Windows 10 update on my old gaming desktop and got rolled back to pre-Crimson because it has an HD5870. Apparently my GPU got a Crimson pre-release and then they decided to dump support for it.

The good news is I got a new gaming laptop with an nVidia GTX 980M 8GB, so it runs Fallout 4 much better.

Reply 107 of 112, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Crimson Edition ReLive supposely fixes a nasty bug on some systems with two AMD cards (APU+discrete) where the cpu usage when idle went crazy all the time.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 108 of 112, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems AMD has dropped support for x86 versions of its driver just like nVidia did. Can anyone confirm?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 109 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eL_PuSHeR has been slacking, Long time for a thread update!

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-not … -rad-win-23-9-1

New Feature Highlights

AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ - Takes responsive gaming to the next level by introducing per-game profiling to intelligently pace frames further reducing input lag on RDNA 3 based Radeon GPUs. For more information about game support click HERE.
AMD Radeon™ Boost – Now supports AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ and improves image quality through awareness of mouse sensitivity, reducing the image quality impact of dynamic resolution switching during motion—typically seen with high-DPI mice.
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1 introduces AMD Radeon™ Boost support for Resident Evil™ 4 Remake and Ghostwire™: Tokyo, which delivers extra performance and increased responsiveness with little perceived impact to quality.
AMD HYPR-RX – Introducing a new driver experience that allows users to optimize their games using AMD Software features for their RDNA 3 based Radeon GPUs, achieving increased performance and lower latency with ease.
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1 introduces the ability to intelligently combine AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+, Boost, and Radeon Super Resolution to achieve improved performance and latency reduction than these features can achieve on their own.
For more information: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/software.

What’s Next?

AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ - Initially supporting 12 games, new game support for AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ will be released through AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition updates in the coming months.
AMD HYPR-RX - The HYPR-RX experience will continue to grow, including support for AMD Fluid Motion Frames to boost FPS using frame generation for DirectX® 11 and 12 games in Q1 2024.

I've been seeing the occasional crash with BG3, not enough to be highly annoying but it does happen every once in awhile.
Also had to limit max fps to 60 in the forge map but everywhere else was fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 110 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"AMD released a driver, allowing you to enable Fluid Motion Frames in Starfield, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Hogwarts Legacy and more"

"In addition to these select titles, AFMF may be manually enabled for any title such as Cyberpunk 2077 using the per-app settings within AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition. So, basically, you can use AFMF for any DX11 or DX12 game."

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-anal … egacy-and-more/

Did a quick test with dgvoodoo2 on Oblivion (Disable HDR otherwise black screen in-game) and it looks like it works.
Hit ALT+R while in-game to enable and also enable the FPS overlay in the AMD control panel.
Be careful when alt-tabbing since the screen may appear to freeze. You'll likely need to log out and back in again or set dgvoodoo the game to use a low resolution so you can see taskmgr to end the game process.
From a quick test FPS doubles from 450fps to 900fps @ 1920x1080 with no obvious graphics issues and didn't see any latency issues. So potentially FMF can be used with any game that dgvoodoo supports. Keep in mind that vsync is disabled when this featured is used.

Reply 111 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://wccftech.com/amd-drivers-expand-fluid … n-rx-6000-gpus/

AMD has expanded its Fluid Motion Frames technology and driver support to RDNA 2 "Radeon RX 6000" GPUs, bringing boosted frames to a wider gaming audience.

Reply 112 of 112, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't seen this pop up in the news. Looks like there was another update with the preview driver yesterday.
I'm thinking Vulkan is still disabled in this version so use the first preview release if you want to use vulkan

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-not … mf-tech-preview

We have added initial support for HDR to expand the AFMF gaming experience. After monitoring user experience feedback, AFMF can […]
Show full quote

We have added initial support for HDR to expand the AFMF gaming experience.
After monitoring user experience feedback, AFMF can now be globally enabled on all DirectX® 11 and 12 titles.
Users may use the per-app settings to individually disable or enable AFMF.
Improvements to frame pacing have been made, resulting in an overall smoother gameplay experience and improved image quality.
Additional game support for AMD Radeon™️ Anti-Lag+
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
Deep Rock Galactic
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
Sniper Elite 5
Returnal™
Remnant II
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Spider-Man Remastered
PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS
Call of Duty ®: Modern Warfare ® II
Tiny Tina's Wonderland