VOGONS

Reply 80 of 112, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Forcing you to upgrade? I probably upgrade the drivers in my desktop twice a year.

Well I am not really forced (specially with my hardware that is quite old by today standards), but we are always being told that updating is a good thing.

Reply 81 of 112, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

What DLLs do I need to put in the game folder? Maybe I could upgrade and keep old DLLs in NWN folder.

atioglxx.dll: http://www.opengl.org/wiki/FAQ#How_Does_It_Wo … k_On_Windows.3F

You'll want it in the same folder as the game .exe's probably.

Thank you very much. I am waiting for the next Catalyst release though.

Reply 82 of 112, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Windows XP SP3. With that HD6450 card I settled with driver version (20)11-10. Using atioglxx.dll from driver version (20)11-5 in my Il-2 Forgotten battles folder. Beware that not all atioglxx.dll's work with every driver version.
I still have an issue with a horizontal stripe during movie playback, but Videolan/VLC output settings can be changed to avoid that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 83 of 112, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using the Catalyst BETA 12.6a release under Windows 7, x64

Works great and I did notice a nice little bump in performance in regards to Skyrim too 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 84 of 112, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just FYI - Catalyst 12.6 has dropped support for Radeon HD2xxx, HD3xxx and HD4xxx series - so it's now only for the 5xxx series and up, at least in the Linux release, anyway.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 86 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They were probably thinking it would be a win-win situation because they'd stop having to care about old architectures, and they could tell people to just give them more money for newer cards when they have problems.

Reply 87 of 112, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm I have a "dual" card that has a chip from the hd4xxx and one from the hd5xxx serie. Wonder how that will work.
(the 4xxx chip is used in powersaving mode)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 88 of 112, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a bug in this driver. When you use HDMI to connect to a TV the AMD drivers have a slider to set the overscan to 0. With this driver the setting gets ignored after a reboot and you have to move the slider to the left and then back to zero to work again.

Rolling back to 12.4 and everything works again!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 90 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hate when they do that! Why is it so hard to keep themselves from breaking such out-of-the-way things? I suspect that the Catalyst team employs terrible version control / configuration management practices, because they seem to constantly (re)introduce stupid little bugs.

Reply 92 of 112, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am experiencing weird artifacts in Skyrim since Catalyst 12.1

Way to go AMD...

PS - I thought 12.1 was okay. I was wrong I am gettings these wireframed artifacts too, so I installed back 12.6

This is what I am getting when there is a light/darkness/shadows transition:

When moving the wireframe moves too giving a slight dizzy effect. Any ideas?

th_100896204_ScreenShot3_122_378lo.jpg

PS2 - I have posted this issue on the Skyrim:Dawnguard forums. It seems Dawnguard is quite buggy.

Reply 93 of 112, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeon HD 2600 Pro Agp, Catalyst 12.4 Agp fix.
All 16-bit OGL modes are broken.
Somebody - massacre the whole Catalyst crew, please! They doing it wrong almost 10 years!!! HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE!!!

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 95 of 112, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

38x0 has had partially broken rendering in Skyrim since some early patch. It's mysteriously unsupported. Of course 8800 runs the game fine and is older. Lesson is buy NV, I guess. 38x0 is DX10.1 and PCIe 2.0 so it's more advanced but can't handle D3D9 Skyrim?

My favorite recent AMD debacle is undoubtedly the RAGE disaster that took them about 3 months to clean up. They seemed to not have worked on the GL driver prerelease at all.

And yeah I saw the 4000 series issues during the 12.x year as well. Their monthly drivers kept including the same bugs because of how the driver development actually worked (staggered). I'm glad they stopped doing the monthly nonsense. Not so glad that 2000-4000 basically lost real support though.

Reply 96 of 112, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't care for their superior price-performance ratio, fancy game bundles et cetera, I won't be buying AMD after I saw the textureless beauty that was Skulltag on mid-2012 6870 drivers. Their reasoning is perhaps that no one uses GL anyway so why support it? Guess the fact that they drop support for their "old" cards so fast speaks more or less for itself anyway.

Reply 97 of 112, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does annoy me that AMD seems to not care about supporting OpenGL, and that they're fairly bad at staying on top of issues with AAA titles. It doesn't make any sense, either, as they obviously have to support OpenGL on Apple, Linux, game consoles, etc. I guess they have completely separate driver codebases for those platforms than they do for Windows?

The problem for me is that I hate how much more marketing-driven nVidia is, so I feel compelled to buy AMD just to avoid rewarding them.

Reply 98 of 112, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing is that the prices between competitors are so similar, it doesn't pay to save so little money. I just go with Intel and Nvidia and everything just works. They are the market leaders and just as affordable.

The new consoles using AMD might change things though...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 99 of 112, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

The problem for me is that I hate how much more marketing-driven nVidia is, so I feel compelled to buy AMD just to avoid rewarding them.

As far as marketing goes, both companies have some stupid shit going on (Nvidia with "The way it's meant to be played" and proprietary PhysX, AMD with their underdog price-performance stuff). The thing is that many AMD fans on those hardware forums seem to be under the impression that their prices, game bundles etc. stem from altruism or something... they don't get that NO hardware company that has had the overall best product has ever given it away for cheap.

The thing is that all next-gen consoles are going to have AMD though. This is where Nvidia pretty much failed. They may have the more solid products and the better standing with enthusiasts, but the really big bucks are made with OEM deals etc. I don't think that PC ports are suddenly going to perform worse on Nvidia as long as they keep up their driver development though. They are just going to miss out on a lot of revenue and will have to concentrate on other sectors.

By the way, the only good marketing in computer history was that of 3dfx... those commercials were truly hilarious 😁