VOGONS

Windows 11 has been released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 220 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-02-19, 08:44:

You must've been lucky (or using a version past 1909). In Windows 10 Pro version 1909 I've tried everything I could find to get rid of the "Get Even More Out of Windows" screen and nothing worked, it kept coming back each month. I've never used version 2004 or later so I'm willing to bet they've made it possible to disable that screen at that point.

Why do you assume that I must have been lucky and not that you must have been unlucky?

I just checked, and I actually still have a PC running Win10 1909 (along with 2 other PCs on 2004). None of them has this nag screen.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 221 of 252, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe that this time they will pass it, at best with a complicated way to bypass it. The timing seems right.
They were slowly, step by step, getting there. Now most people (and I don't mean users of a niche tech forum) already have gone with the defaults and are already using the online accounts. Few will complain if it becomes mandatory.
Unless a writer at a famous tech site cannot use his computer for an important reason because of problems with his internet connections and they manage to shoot themselves in the foot.

Reply 222 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2022-02-19, 09:20:

They were slowly, step by step, getting there. Now most people (and I don't mean users of a niche tech forum) already have gone with the defaults and are already using the online accounts. Few will complain if it becomes mandatory.

I believe that users of Win10 Pro are a slightly different group. For sure, businesses/corporations will not accept that. The worst thing that will happen is that people would either start "stealing" the Enterprise version, or find which registry key is responsible for bypassing it and use that (like the TPM/CPU bypasses).

The Microsoft blogpost referenced actually reads:

Similar to Windows 11 Home edition, Windows 11 Pro edition now requires internet connectivity during the initial device setup (OOBE) only. If you choose to setup device for personal use, MSA will be required for setup as well. You can expect Microsoft Account to be required in subsequent WIP flights.

It seems to read that internet connectivity will be required for all use cases, and a Microsoft Account will be required if you set up for "personal use". Will it still be required if you select "for work"? Will you need a workplace account?

The last sentence hints that this restriction may be limited to Windows Insider Preview builds? I hope this turns out to be the intent. It makes slightly more sense for making a Microsoft account mandatory for an insider build - as the goal of distributing such builds is for the telemetry and the user feedback.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 223 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never seen a reminder to create an MS account and I always use a local logon as you should. Now do applications that require a MS account require login state so? Yes but frequent reminders i have never seen and I have been using 11 since release. I don't use insider builds since I don't beta test software that requires $ for free and the released builds are beta enough as it is so maybe that's a difference.

I've always chosen the join domain option and placed my system in a workgroup. The option has always been there in Pro and is really obvious but I'm guessing most people don't realize what that means? I don't see how MS could or would remove that option. Don't believe everything you hear on the Internets.

Obfuscation of wording has always been a pet peeve of mine, just yesterday I was being introduced to the creation of changes and releases in our ticket system and whoever designed it decided to obfuscate templates vs non templates so you had to think about which is which when you are clicking the option.....why not just state what it is? Does no one know what a template is? Same thing with work and home, what if you work at home or live at work? Heh. We have gigahertz of processing power and gigabytes of memory so it shouldn't be very hard to reduce confusion during setup unless ulterior motives are at play.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 224 of 252, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2022-02-19, 09:16:
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2022-02-19, 08:44:

You must've been lucky (or using a version past 1909). In Windows 10 Pro version 1909 I've tried everything I could find to get rid of the "Get Even More Out of Windows" screen and nothing worked, it kept coming back each month. I've never used version 2004 or later so I'm willing to bet they've made it possible to disable that screen at that point.

Why do you assume that I must have been lucky and not that you must have been unlucky?

I just checked, and I actually still have a PC running Win10 1909 (along with 2 other PCs on 2004). None of them has this nag screen.

I haven't been skipping any versions and I've never seen that nag screen on one of my computers. The other I have. There's definitely a way to disable it.

As for Win 10 Pro requiring a Microsoft user, there will be a workaround, or people who care will just pirate the business version.

Reply 226 of 252, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have frequently seen nag screens in Windows 10 for everything, usually"this is what you're missing" by not upgrading to a later release, by not using a Microsoft Account, by not accepting the privacy policy following services, by not using Edge by default, and by not installing some MS program on my Android phone (which happened the next login after I mistakenly plugged in an Android device via USB) .

I have around 5 Windows 10 installs at my own home and I see these nag screens in all of them almost every month after login. I am not buying even for a second that people don't see these. I also almost always use local logon and classic workgroup (not AD) at home. I have an actual very old Surface Pro 2 device which I use with an MS account, and I see less nagging screens, but I still do (e.g. for MS Edge).

That said, I happen to have a work PC that is LTSC, joined to AD, without MS account, and I definetily don't see these nag screens there. Except when opening the MS Store program (meaning: I can't even get free Windows Terminal from the store without a MS account; my classic AD account is not enough) .

EDIT:
Heck, as I hit submit on this message, I literally got hit with a nag screen for "backing up my precious images and documents to OneDrive". This one is new for me, I had never seen it before. I uninstalled OneDrive ages ago.

DosFreak wrote on 2022-02-19, 11:29:

The option has always been there in Pro and is really obvious but I'm guessing most people don't realize what that means? I don't see how MS could or would remove that option. Don't believe everything you hear on the Internets.

To be honest, I never found the option, even on Pro, unless you disconnect from the Internet. Even for joining to an actual domain (domain != workgroup) I have to login with my "personal" account first.

MS can definitely fully remove it or make it almost inaccessible for mortal users (i.e. they could hide behind a LTSC or Enterprise key, they could hide it behind unattended install settings, etc.) . No company would be the wiser but at the same every personal user would be effectively forced to create an account.

Last edited by javispedro1 on 2022-02-19, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 227 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The issue may be people may be thinking of different things when "nag screens" are mentioned, for me I'm referring to a popup on your desktop similar to the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade BS. If people are referring to "nag screens" in applications then that's a different matter and it's unfortunately the norm nowadays due to marketing BS and the stupidity of the common user.
People complaining about these should probably open up a seperate thread with pictures of what they are talking about, why the behavior is different from any other "modern" app, why it greatly affects their workflow and is not just OCD complaints and if/how to disable it and if they've submitted that feedback to any of the application developers for non-MS "apps" and for MS "apps" instead of disrupting this thread.

Reply 228 of 252, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-02-19, 17:35:

The issue may be people may be thinking of different things when "nag screens" are mentioned, for me I'm referring to a popup on your desktop similar to the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade BS. If people are referring to "nag screens" in applications then that's a different matter and it's unfortunately the norm nowadays due to marketing BS and the stupidity of the common user.
People complaining about these should probably open up a seperate thread with pictures of what they are talking about, why the behavior is different from any other "modern" app, why it greatly affects their workflow and is not just OCD complaints and if/how to disable it instead of disrupting this thread.

They are very easy to describe, as they are in the same style as the wizard that appears on OOBE i.e. first boot after installing Windows 10. Basically a blueish full-screen 4:3 square. After you skip whatever it's asking you to sign on, you always get a final wizard page with a cartoon of a cat holding a belt.

The cat's basically burned in my mind by now 😀

Reply 229 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The following is from Windows 11 Pro 21H2, not an insider build. Network connection was plugged in and internet was working at the time.
The options for creating a LOCAL account are right there for all to see. Someone with an Insider build that supposedly removes the option should post pictures or we can sit here and continue having a panic attack based off of websites designed to create clicks and people falling for it.
The pictures are not altered except for usage of a highlighter and anyone can replicate the pictures themselves by installing Windows 11 and clicking through the setup screen so no conspiracy theories please, pictures are legit.

WINDOWS 11 HOME (no pictures provided since they are basically the same as below)
For Windows 11 Home when you get to the screen where it asks to setup your account you'll still need to:
1. Pull the cable
or

2.netsh interface show interface
netsh interface set interface name="INTERFACE NAME" admin=DISABLED

3. Click the back arrow.
4. Create your local account

/EDIT
https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/202 … ew-build-22557/

Similar to Windows 11 Home edition, Windows 11 Pro edition now requires internet connectivity during the initial device setup (OOBE) only. If you choose to setup device for personal use, MSA will be required for setup as well. You can expect Microsoft Account to be required in subsequent WIP flights.

Reading the release notes it looks like the "as well" seems to be in reference to Windows 11 Home so "work" should be unaffected in Insider builds but someone would need to verify.

Attachments

• 11prowork3.png
    Filename
    11prowork3.png
    File size
    105.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    WORK
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 11prowork2.png
    Filename
    11prowork2.png
    File size
    123.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    WORK
    File license
  • 11prowork1.png
    Filename
    11prowork1.png
    File size
    129.49 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    WORK
    File license
  • 11propersonal4.png
    Filename
    11propersonal4.png
    File size
    103.72 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PERSONAL
    File license
  • 11propersonal3.png
    Filename
    11propersonal3.png
    File size
    150.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PERSONAL
    File license
  • 11propersonal2.png
    Filename
    11propersonal2.png
    File size
    124.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PERSONAL
    File license
  • 11propersonal1.png
    Filename
    11propersonal1.png
    File size
    128.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PERSONAL
    File license
  • 11pro1.png
    Filename
    11pro1.png
    File size
    121.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PERSONAL
    File license
Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-02-19, 18:38. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 232 of 252, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't install Windows 11 without cheats, so I'm not planing on using it, but I'm curious how O&O shut up 10++ (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10) works on Windows 11, even if it has 10 in the name it still supports on 11. I don't know if someone in this forum has already tried it.
I am unable to use a Windows 10 without using that program.

Reply 233 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-02-19, 17:30:

I have around 5 Windows 10 installs at my own home and I see these nag screens in all of them almost every month after login. I am not buying even for a second that people don't see these.

How many of these 5 installs are Win10 Pro? The claim was specifically about the Pro version. That the regular Win10 (Home) has annoying nag screens I easily believe (it has tons of other annoyances as well).

Hoping wrote on 2022-02-19, 18:26:

I can't install Windows 11 without cheats, so I'm not planing on using it, but I'm curious how O&O shut up 10++ (https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10) works on Windows 11, even if it has 10 in the name it still supports on 11. I don't know if someone in this forum has already tried it.
I am unable to use a Windows 10 without using that program

I expect many things will work on Win11 as well. Anyhow, I tried that program once, a long time ago, and found that it is completely unnecessary on a Win10 Pro setup, where you can turn off the annoyances in documented ways that actually work. Furthermore, this program has so many different settings and tweaks, that some of them are eventually bound to break after OS upgrades.

Reply 234 of 252, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always use it after the first start and I only apply the recommended options, it is true that after some updates you have to use it again, but if you change the configuration manually the same thing happens, and you have to look for the changes, so it is very comfortable and fast, it deactivates a large part of the telemetry in a single click.
I only use Windows 10 Pro, I have three PCs with it at home. And it works disabling dose documented settings that actually work, it doesn't do registry tweaks on things like that, at least as far as I know.
But none of that matters, everyone has their customs and opinions, I'm just curious if anyone used it in Windows 11 and if it break something.

Reply 235 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hoping wrote on 2022-02-19, 19:08:

I'm just curious if anyone used it in Windows 11 and if it break something.

I cannot testify as I don't use it, but I don't expect things will break. Windows 11 is merely a matter of branding + slightly different UI. Beneath that it is still the same incremental NT kernel. Since as you say, Shutup10 mostly provides a UI for the same registry tweaks that exist regardless, all of these should work on Win11, as long as the behavior was not changed.

Reply 237 of 252, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2022-02-19, 19:38:

Just use Linux and be done with it.

A typical statement, linux is not the definitive answer any more than any other OS is.
Curiously, today I just changed the OS of my HTPC, I had Linux and I just installed Windows 10 Pro, simply because Linux no longer met what I needed and Windows meets it better.
I have three PCs with Windows 10, four with Windows 7, three laptops with linux, a router with linux and a laptop with Haiku OS.
So to say, just use Linux and that's it, it's a somewhat closed view, each OS has its strengths and weaknesses, Windows 11 will have them too, but it turns out that everything in the world is like that.

Reply 239 of 252, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-02-19, 21:01:

Hoping ? No TempleOS ? How dare you ! 😁

Jokes aside, I did not know that OS, I am very curious to try it at some point, it seems very interesting. Unfortunately I am not a programmer but trying all kinds of different OS is something that I really like.
Shame about the Windows 11 requirements.