VOGONS

Windows 11 has been released

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 252, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-05, 18:06:

You'll have to see if your motherboard supports a TPM module. If not, then you will need to get one that already has it or that accepts an add-on one.

I just enabled it in the UEFI options. I can finally upgrade from an early Windows 11 preview full of bugs. Hooray !

All of this because WLS2 and WSLG was only available on Windows Insiders for way too long...

Reply 41 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-10-05, 19:02:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-10-05, 18:06:

You'll have to see if your motherboard supports a TPM module. If not, then you will need to get one that already has it or that accepts an add-on one.

I just enabled it in the UEFI options. I can finally upgrade from an early Windows 11 preview full of bugs. Hooray !

All of this because WLS2 and WSLG was only available on Windows Insiders for way too long...

Hah... That works as well I guess. From your other post, it kinda sounded like your board didn't have it built in.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42 of 252, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2021-10-05, 18:13:

Can anyone comment on gaming performance hits? Keep reading W11 slows everything down.

Noticed a couple of posts got "vaporized". What's up with that?

Well if every shit runs in own VM, what would you expect.

Windows 11 is the New Vista.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 43 of 252, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anyone comment on gaming performance hits? Keep reading W11 slows everything down.

On tweakers.net (Dutch) they did a review between 10 and 11. Mostly it was in the 2% range so no big difference.

Tried some games myself today after upgrading and didn't notice any difference.

Reply 44 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I installed Windows 11 on this Precision 5520 using the script since this processor isn't supported (i7-7820HQ) but Windows Update is offering me a BIOS update. Make up your mind Microsoft.
I did see some newer articles saying the processor was approved but the installer sure didn't work. Mabye the release build isn't but a newer build is?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 45 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2021-10-05, 20:34:

So I installed Windows 11 on this Precision 5520 using the script since this processor isn't supported (i7-7820HQ) but Windows Update is offering me a BIOS update. Make up your mind Microsoft.
I did see some newer articles saying the processor was approved but the installer sure didn't work. Mabye the release build isn't but a newer build is?

The i7-7820HQ is on the list of supported processors for Windows 11:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … or-requirements

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 46 of 252, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah previously it wasn't then MS added some more processors a couple of months later. I'm thinking the release build never got the memo.
I stopped beta testing MS OS a long time ago (except the release builds haha) so not going to bother verifying with an insider build.
I will re-verify by booting from the ISO though.

/EDIT Looks like "Trusted Execution" in the BIOS is what flagged it. Turning it on passes the processor check. Annoying.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 47 of 252, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yoghoo wrote on 2021-10-05, 20:33:

On tweakers.net (Dutch) they did a review between 10 and 11. Mostly it was in the 2% range so no big difference.

Oh, come on. MS have put the taskbar in the middle of the screen (yay!) and fixed very smooth animations, that's a big deal 😁

Edit: grouping of windows and being able to split a large screen in "workspaces" seems like a good idea though.

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 49 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't they do that mimicry thing for decades? 😕

Gnome <-> Mac OS GUI+Finder
KDE, OS/2 Warp4 <-> Windows 95+ GUI

Windows 2.x <-> OS/2 1.1 to 1.2
Windows 3.x <-> OS/2 2.x/Warp3

CDE, MOTIF <-> Windows 3.x, DESQView/X
Mac OS <-> Atari TOS/GEM, GEOS C64/128
OS/2 Warp 3's Launchpad <-> Mac OS X GUI with Dock

Windows Vista/Aero Glass <-> Mac OS X Aqua theme
KDE 3 <-> Windows XP Luna Theme
About any *nix of the 90s <-> Windows 95 theme
PC GEOS <-> see above

Windows 11 : Windows simulating Linux (Gnome) simulating macOS simulating Windows 95?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 50 of 252, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometime in the future, this windows 11 monstrosity will be considered a "retro OS" and folks will be installing it on their obsolete hardware in order to play ancient games. Mind boggling to think about.

Måttfull och balanserad.

Reply 51 of 252, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-06, 00:39:

Sometime in the future, this windows 11 monstrosity will be considered a "retro OS" and folks will be installing it on their obsolete hardware in order to play ancient games. Mind boggling to think about.

Yeah, that's quite possible. *shudder*

Whenever I read YT comments from youngsters that have nostalgic feelings for
201x, I feel totally confused.
I mean, that was just "yesterday" and these years were as boring and as gray as the current ones are.
On the other hand, I can understand why they feel like that.
If you're 17, then 5-7 years are a huge time frame.
Well, in theory, at least.

When I was ten, 5 years weren't much to me, still.
I mean, I was often joking and said "10 years ago everything was better!". 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 52 of 252, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let’s be honest, anyone here will do that in 15 years or so? Feel nostalgic about Windows 10?

I am sure no one will ever do that. Win 10 is what Windows Me and Vista was for me. Completely forgettable.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 55 of 252, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think installing a modern windows from today will even be possible in 10-15 years due to online services not being available anymore.

You can legitimately activate Windows Vista online to this day. So already almost 15 years. I see no problem activating WIndows 10 or 11 in that time period at least by phone, just like Windows XP. Not to mention various community efforts to debloat Windows 10, which can make it completely offline OS. Obviously Windows 11 will be debloated from annoying Microsoft Store, Cortana and other stuff too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 56 of 252, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-10-06, 01:26:

I don't think installing a modern windows from today will even be possible in 10-15 years due to online services not being available anymore.

Good thinking, the unix epoch apocalypse. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 57 of 252, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yoghoo wrote on 2021-10-05, 20:33:

If you had the slow down feature turned off in win 10, it stays turned off after update too. (at least for now...)

Reply 58 of 252, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
buckeye wrote on 2021-10-05, 14:22:

The stinking pile of "horse manure" in this release is for a local account install you have to upgrade to the pro version.

Already in Win10 you must have the Pro version if you want to control your PC and not have it the other way around, as Pro is the only one that allows you to fully disable automatic updates.

Seems like a natural evolution of things. 😜

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 59 of 252, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello from Windows 11 (21H2, build ver 22000.194). Installed from the official ISO.
With a I7 6700K which should be not supported ... ?
But Windows installed OK after activating the TPM 2.0 chip.
MS is confusing.
Doubly confusing, is that I'm still on Windows Insiders (although on the release candidate build, thank God), and it still complains that I do not have the required config.