VOGONS

Reply 21 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

quote:Originally posted by john2gr:
IceColdDuke........does this mean that you've stopped working on the GL port of the Duke Nukem 3D ?

I stoped it due to lack of interest in the community. [Frown] I could not program the entire thing myself....if anyone is still interested...the files are still up on sourceforge.

WTF 😕

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 42, by NoGood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's strange that there are uncountable doom ports, but only one Duke port, of which I know of course ...
Although I liked duke even much as doom, and I think many people liked duke better than doom ...

Maybe in time other people will take up the work?

Homepage
Lombrosiana

Reply 23 of 42, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak 😕

Hold on, what's the date on that post? and the source?

In your post it looks like "Ice Cold Duke" is asking the question about porting, whereas (last I had heard) "Ice Cold" had taken over the job of porting it showthread.php?threadid=454
+
http://hackerman93045.tripod.com/

In fact, he (supposedly) created a port using the GLBuild port that I've been watching:
Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:07 am Post subject: New GLDuke! Using MattH's engine! Reply with quote Go get the new GlDuke, 56fps on a Voodoo 3 card, because it uses MattH's engine!

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61155

Only problem is that the files are an absolute mess and I can't get it to do anything other than crash.

Reply 24 of 42, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by NoGood It's strange that there are uncountable doom ports, but only one Duke port,...

Not strange at all, really. The full source-code for DOOM was released some time back, whereas the Duke3D code was never released. The closest thing we have is Ken Silverman's BUILD source. Even when there's a flawless port of BUILD (Matt Hildred's "GLBuild" seems very close to that), programmers still have to figure out the game-specific code (Duke3D, Blood,etc...)

BTW, I knew about the GLDoom a good while back. I was referring to the original DOOM. I prefer JDOOM for now...

Reply 26 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Hold on, what's the date on that post? and the source?

He posted that like last week. It's posted in the ROTT Source forum on 3drealms. I'll try to dig up the link.

Reply 27 of 42, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak He posted that like last week. It's posted in the ROTT Source forum on 3drealms. I'll try to dig up the link.

Well, just to confuse things, here's the latest news on GLBuild:

30th December 2002 (1.011)

* Improved the collision detection, so that you shouldn't pop through walls at sharp angles anymore.
* Improved the speed of the overhead editor mode so that moving around on slower computers should be much better.
* Made some internal changes for IceColdDuke and the GLDuke project.
* Sprites can now be inserted in overhead editor mode, by pressing 'S', but you can't change attributes yet.

So hopefully he hasn't quit. A successful port of Duke3D using the GLBuild engine would open the doors for all the other BUILD games.

BTW, for anyone too impatient to wait for the next port of ROTT to get ROTT demo running with audio. Try this trick:

Open a command line where the ROTT.EXE and the port files are located. Type this:

ROTT.EXE SOUNDSETUP

It will bring up the audio setup screen. Choose SoundScape for sound and MIDI (MIDI didn't work for me).

Be aware that quality of the audio isn't all that good, but it's better than nothing.

Thank the people at http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php … c;f=24;t=000014 for this info.

Reply 29 of 42, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Why confuse GLBuild and ROTT? ROTT isn't Build.

It's not. Ask DosFreak, he's the one bringing news of "GLDuke" being cancelled here.

I brought up GLBuild because the programmer just recently made some changes specifically to help facilitate the next version of GLDuke (which doesn't make sense if it's been cancelled).

Reply 31 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Why confuse GLBuild and ROTT? ROTT isn't Build. (AFAIK.)

Who's confused...and why? It's simple. Read posts and understand.

Reply 32 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.oakland.edu/~lcmatero/files/rott32.zip

Check this out. Win32 ROTT for Shareware/Registered and the sound works! 😮

Reply 35 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Icculus wants to go with a straight DOS->WIN32 port with no modifications. The GLROTT team will make more changes.

Reply 36 of 42, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Icculus wants to go with a straight DOS->WIN32 port with no modifications.

Well higher resolution output is hardly a "modification", all it really does is prevent things farther than 10 (virtual) feet away from degenerating into a glob of pixels. In any case, from what I've read in the posts, a higher resolution output is a possibility for their version.

The GLROTT team will make more changes.

A great idea but a very big thing to try. Most projects like this tend to start out strong, but then weaken as everyone has to struggle with all the details of 3D modeling everything. In any case, it won't be anytime soon.

Reply 37 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ROTT in 640X480

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php … c;f=24;t=000031

😮

Reply 39 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What bunch of losers. Lots of impatient people posting on 3drealms wanting a GLROTT port. Obviously they do not realize the time factor involved. They should be happy with what they've go already. Heck, you can play the game as it was originally in Win32/*nix (except for multiplayer). Geesh. I wish I could kill stupid people with my thoughts. Doh! What a stupi

😉