VOGONS

First post, by fragglet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks, about a week ago I released Vanilla Utilities v2.0 which includes UDPSETUP, a new DOS Doom network driver that allows Internet play.

This driver has a number of features that I think people will find interesting:

• It uses undocumented DOS Winsock backdoors, so you can use this to play under Win9x. Supports Winsock 1 or 2, although if you want to use Winsock 2 (Win98+) you need to run a patch program to fix a bug in the Winsock2 driver.
  • Also supports the MSClient TCP/IP stack, so you can play under pure DOS too
  • The protocol used is the DOSbox IPX tunnelling protocol, so it can join DOSbox servers, and DOSbox clients can join UDPSETUP servers. This means you can play mixed games between real DOS/Win9x machines and emulated machines. The DOSbox clients run IPXSETUP instead.
  • There are adapter drivers that allow you to use it to play ROTT and BUILD engine games like Duke3D (example video).

A demo video can be found here (not sure if there's a way to embed Youtube videos on this forum, if there is a way, maybe someone can enlighten me).

Latest version is attached (includes setup guide text file, or read it here). Github repo is here.

Attachments