VOGONS

Fox Oring

Topic actions

First post, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fox Oring is a variation of the sport of amateur radio direction finding. Fox Oring is a timed race in which individual competitors use a topographic map and a magnetic compass to navigate through diverse, wooded terrain while searching for radio transmitters. The term is derived from the use of the term fox hunting to describe recreational radio direction finding activity and an abbreviation of the word orienteering.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/foxoring/

Attachments

• foxstart.png
    Filename
    foxstart.png
    File size
    943 Bytes
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • foxfind.png
    Filename
    foxfind.png
    File size
    1.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • foxfound.png
    Filename
    foxfound.png
    File size
    2.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    foxorsrd.7z
    File size
    3.81 KiB
    Downloads
    10 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    foxordos.7z
    File size
    36.36 KiB
    Downloads
    10 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

÷)

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about an explanation of the rule set? At first I thought it might be an implementation of sth like ARDF ("radio fox hunting") but this ain't it (or if it is, it's waaay abstract). I have no clue what I'm supposed to do.

Reply 2 of 2, by yevrowl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

“Fox hunting” is a variant of cross-country orienteering, especially popular in the Soviet Union, but also known in other countries. It is necessary to discover 5 hidden transmitters located on a 10 × 10 field in as few moves as possible. The transmitters broadcast in all 8 directions, the number on the cell indicates the number of intersecting signals. Input is carried out using coordinates on the keyboard.

÷)