VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2107518?lang=en_US

Symptoms VMware vSphere Hypervisor (free edition) is no longer available on the VMware website […]
Show full quote

Symptoms
VMware vSphere Hypervisor (free edition) is no longer available on the VMware website

Resolution
Along with the termination of perpetual licensing, Broadcom has also decided to discontinue the Free ESXi Hypervisor, marking it as EOGA (End of General Availability).

Regrettably, there is currently no substitute product offered. For further details regarding the affected products and this change, we encourage you to review the following blog post: https://blogs.vmware.com/cloud-foundation/202 … -saas-services/

Last time I looked at and tested proxmox a few months ago it couldn't handle my use case for my home server and we use ESX at work so it made sense to keep the same.
I'll have to look at proxmox a little harder sometime this year.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-02-12, 21:22. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by deltapi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2024-02-12, 20:58:

Last time I looked at proxmox a few months ago it couldn't handle my use case and we use ESX at work so it made sense to keep the same.
I'll have to look at proxmox a little harder sometime this year.

What's your use case? I use proxmox heavily - I'm writing this post on a VM hosted by proxmox with GPU passthru - it feels like I'm sitting at a real PC.

Another free option is Xen [ https://xenproject.org/ ]

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to remember so bear with me since it's been a few months....

Main one is that for GOG galaxy I have to use GOG galaxy via the vmware web remote console which is the equivalent of physical access to the machine. Any other access than that results in GOG Galaxy not working due to how their shitty launcher is programmed and they will never fix. No other launcher has this issue. I do use gogrepo to download all games as well but need the GOG Galaxy downloads too....and no I'm not going back to loading GOG galaxy on a physical machine. Worse comes to worse mabye a nested ESXi VM inside of a proxmox vm may work. bleh.

Interoperability between Proxmox VMs and client virtualization solution. Need to be able to export and import without issue and jumping through hoops. Need a virtualization solution on Linux and Windows with the same GUI on both that's not shit and that can import and use the VM straight from proxmox withut an BS. Solution needs to offer 3D acceleration on at least 2000+ guests for both Linux and Windows VMs without any bullshit.

Need to be able to copy and paste from guest to host and vice versa on virtualization solution on Linux and Windows. This is a nice to have since networking can solve this.

For Proxmox needs to supports DOS+ and for 9x+ needs to have additions and drivers and those additions and drivers need to be the same for both proxmox and the virtualization solution on Linux and Windows.

Need to be able to easily setup old Windows VMs without jumping through hoops on proxmox or virtualization solution on client. Select "Windows 2000", install. Done. No craziness tracking down which ver of KVM supports what or which OS supports UEFI,secure boot etc, changing x settings in x config. etc It should all be handled by the GUI.

Proxmon remote console needs to be as responsive as the ESXi remote console. VNC has been and apparently will always be shit compared to RDP assuming that's what it's using. I usually enable rdp on linux systems anyway but for proxmox itself I'll have to check again to see how responsive it is. I guess this could be qualified as a nice to have but I use remote console alot and would rather not have to put up with a lesser experience.

All the VM settings even advanced ones should be configurable via the GUI. I believe this may be the case like I said it's been a few months and I don't have proxmox installed. I do remember there being about a bajillion of them and identifying which one allows which OS to install and boot so thinking this one is a non-issue except for like most Linux use cases where you can't find any use cases similar to yours via web searching and nothing in the documentation.....

I didn't look into snapshots last I looked at proxmox. Snapshots needed for both proxmox and client virtualization solutions and those snapshots should be usable both on export and import by both. Not a dealbreaker but disappointing if not there.

The above is for using proxmox as a server and hosting my VMs.

As far as using proxmox for passthrou and gaming or game compatibility testing I didn't really have any issues with it and it was sufficient for that use case. Ideally interoperability between the VMS and a virtualization solution with the same GUI on both Linux and Windows and the same additions and drivers (and driver parity between both linux and windows guests) would be nice but not a deal breaker.

I'm not a fan of virtualbox, it's always seemed pretty shitty IMO but may be all we really have to abstract the burden of keeping track of managing all the settings to run a and manage a VM on a client machine now that Brodcom is going to further contribute to the death of Vmware.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by deltapi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, with that feedback Hyper-V is definitely not an option for you.

Proxmox's remote console is fine for my use when using Spice.
I haven't tried to do dos or win9x VMs on proxmox at all - the oldest VM I've run on it is XP, and it works like a champ.
I don't use snapshots on my VMs simply because my use-case has hardware passed through to all my VMs. Snapshots on my LXC containers works well, but I don't see any quick and easy export - closest is doing a backup and SCP'ing it off the host. Far from the ease of use you've indicated you want.

Proxmox's GUI management of machines is really good. It doesn't have every single item, as KVM/QEMU has so many possible different settings it would be a nightmare to represent every single one. PVE seems to try to do sanity checking on any gui changes.

You could do nested VirtualBox inside a proxmox vm, but keep in mind that VirtualBox has not got any client-drivers for DOS, Win9x, or NT <3.5 (3.1 does have some limited possibilities, but it's very unsupported.) Maybe Windows Virtual PC inside a Win7 VM?

When I look at free alternatives like XCP-ng, Xen, bhyve, etc. it doesn't look like there's much that will check all your boxes.

I don't quite get the 2000 guest instances needing acceleration. If you're dealing with VDI on a commercial scale, is there no option to continue to use vSphere or something?