VOGONS

Reply 20 of 306, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw if your midi player tries to fast forward, it's likely to break this emulator and make it play back stuff incorrectly. i suggest disabling any feature to auto fast forward a midi files to the part with notes.

Reply 21 of 306, by Nicknine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 17:31:
Nicknine wrote on 2024-04-03, 16:47:
It's some kind of init bug, it appears to happen based on what game you ran first, it's like some of them don't initialize SC-55 […]
Show full quote
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 14:44:

UPD: I have a problem. MIDIs sound low-pitched.

It's some kind of init bug, it appears to happen based on what game you ran first, it's like some of them don't initialize SC-55 properly. You need to do the reset procedure if you run into this:
1) Press Q to turn it off.
2) Press and hold Y and U, then press Q to turn it back on.
3) Press W to answer affirmative to the reset prompt.

I launched it first time as it is, just for the sake of checking out, and it was already low-pitched by 1 halftone. I use FSMP to reset it every time I launch it anew.
When I tried your procedure, it didn't help.

Like I said, it depends on which app you ran first. If I run Descent or Duke Nukem 3D immediately after powering up, the music is off pitch but if I run Doom at any point, it seemingly sets the correct pitch and all other games work correctly after that.

Reply 23 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zaphod77 wrote on 2024-04-03, 19:52:

DO THE POWEROFF AND RESET AT LEAST ONCE.

(press q, hold y and u, press q, release all, press w)

Also, get the new version, it sounds even better, now that it doesn't clip.

Already've done that, good sir! Now, I just need to know how to record MIDIs with this...

Reply 24 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicknine wrote on 2024-04-03, 18:49:

Like I said, it depends on which app you ran first. If I run Descent or Duke Nukem 3D immediately after powering up, the music is off pitch but if I run Doom at any point, it seemingly sets the correct pitch and all other games work correctly after that.

The difference is that Doom sends GM ON SysEx message at start. For me it seems that it's enough to send GM On/GS Reset SysEx at startup and the rather lengthy poweroff/reset procedure is not required.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 25 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 21:14:

Already've done that, good sir! Now, I just need to know how to record MIDIs with this...

To specify, I've created 2 loopmidi ports for IN and OUT for playback in FSMP, but loopmidi either mutes them, or doesn't produce sound. When started, Nuked-SC55 chooses first loopmidi port as its standard one.

Reply 26 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 22:03:

To specify, I've created 2 loopmidi ports for IN and OUT for playback in FSMP, but loopmidi either mutes them, or doesn't produce sound. When started, Nuked-SC55 chooses first loopmidi port as its standard one.

Make sure that the same LoopMidi port is not enabled in FSMP as active Midi In port since this way you can create an infinite Midi loop and LoopMidi mute itself to prevent problems.
So you should either disable Midi In in FSMP settings dialog or you should select another Midi In port that is different from the one that you selected as Midi Out port.

Reply 27 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-03, 22:37:

Make sure that the same LoopMidi port is not enabled in FSMP as active Midi In port since this way you can create an infinite Midi loop and LoopMidi mute itself to prevent problems.
So you should either disable Midi In in FSMP settings dialog or you should select another Midi In port that is different from the one that you selected as Midi Out port.

It seems I've fixed the issue and the sound is here, but how do I record? The mic/record bars act as is there's no sound (And the recordings are empty), so I'm kinda stuck with this one.

Reply 28 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 22:45:

It seems I've fixed the issue and the sound is here, but how do I record? The mic/record bars act as is there's no sound (And the recordings are empty), so I'm kinda stuck with this one.

If you want to record the rendered audio with FSMP then you should select the wave loopback device (i.e. Stereo Mix, What U Hear etc.) as recording source in the Settings dialog.
BTW, if you want to change Volume/Balance of the emulator through FSMP then you should also select 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' checkbox in the same Settings dialog.

Reply 29 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to record the rendered audio with FSMP then you should select the wave loopback device (i.e. Stereo Mix, What U Hear etc.) as recording source in the Settings dialog.
BTW, if you want to change Volume/Balance of the emulator through FSMP then you should also select 'Use SysEx for Volume/Balance' checkbox in the same Settings dialog.

I've done *almost* exactly as you told, yet still no sound in recordings. To clarify things, I'll send screenshot of my FSMP settings.

Attachments

• for_falco.png
    Filename
    for_falco.png
    File size
    95.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 30 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 23:01:

I've done *almost* exactly as you told, yet still no sound in recordings. To clarify things, I'll send screenshot of my FSMP settings.

Then make sure that the default audio device in Windows is set to your Realtek HD audio device (the default is used by the emulator). And also make sure that your Stereo Mix level is set to a reasonable high value .if it works then you should see that volume meter of FSMP reacts to the emulator's audio output.
I have made a test video:
https://youtu.be/zfd6Ziej6NU

Reply 31 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-03, 23:18:
Then make sure that the default audio device in Windows is set to your Realtek HD audio device (the default is used by the emula […]
Show full quote

Then make sure that the default audio device in Windows is set to your Realtek HD audio device (the default is used by the emulator). And also make sure that your Stereo Mix level is set to a reasonable high value .if it works then you should see that volume meter of FSMP reacts to the emulator's audio output.

Hm... I may not get it. To start, what port NukedSC finds when booting up: IN or OUT?

Reply 32 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 23:27:
Then make sure that the default audio device in Windows is set to your Realtek HD audio device (the default is used by the emula […]
Show full quote

Hm... I may not get it. To start, what port NukedSC finds when booting up: IN or OUT?

Nuked-SC55 should use the other end of the same virtual port that you select in FSMP as Midi Out port. You do not even need to enable Midi In in FSMP to use Nuked-SC55.
From the perspective of Nuked-SC55 it is a Midi In port but from the perspective of FSMP it is a Midi Out port.

Reply 33 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nuked-SC55 should use the other end of the virtual port that you select in FSMP as Midi Out port. You do not even need to enable Midi In in FSMP to use Nuked-SC55.
From the perspective of Nuked-SC55 it is an Midi In port but from the perspective of FSMP it is a Midi Out port.

Okay, I will explain.
I've created a brand new "loopmidi Port" as "Opened midi port", as it's described in NukedSC, and then quickly created "loopmidi Port 1" for... something. The thing is, NukedSC works ONLY if loopmidi Port is selected as OUT port, but the recordings are silent.
Such things seem to become less intuitive to me, sadly.

Reply 34 of 306, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-03, 21:38:
Nicknine wrote on 2024-04-03, 18:49:

The difference is that Doom sends GM ON SysEx message at start. For me it seems that it's enough to send GM On/GS Reset SysEx at startup and the rather lengthy poweroff/reset procedure is not required.

Confirming. I have put the GS Reset SysEx at the start of all my GS MIDI recordings and ran into the pitch-down issue only once when I started the playback of the MIDI file too early after starting Nuked-SC55. So yeah, just send a GS reset.

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L
Win98: Gigabyte K8VM800M, Athlon64 3200+, 512MB, Matrox G400, SB Live
WinXP: Gigabyte P31-DS3L, C2D 2.33 GHz, 2GB, GT 430, Audigy 4

Reply 35 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-03, 23:44:
Okay, I will explain. I've created a brand new "loopmidi Port" as "Opened midi port", as it's described in NukedSC, and then qui […]
Show full quote

Nuked-SC55 should use the other end of the virtual port that you select in FSMP as Midi Out port. You do not even need to enable Midi In in FSMP to use Nuked-SC55.
From the perspective of Nuked-SC55 it is an Midi In port but from the perspective of FSMP it is a Midi Out port.

Okay, I will explain.
I've created a brand new "loopmidi Port" as "Opened midi port", as it's described in NukedSC, and then quickly created "loopmidi Port 1" for... something. The thing is, NukedSC works ONLY if loopmidi Port is selected as OUT port, but the recordings are silent.
Such things seem to become less intuitive to me, sadly.

OK. These problems are conceptually unrelated ( one is related to Midi the other is related to rendered digital audio)
1. Nuked-SC55 by default uses the first available Midi In port (port 0) of the system. If you do not have such hardware/soundcard that has Midi In capabilities then your first Midi In port (0) will be the software cable that you created first (in your case it is loopmidi Port). So in other Midi software that you want to use with Nuked-SC55 you have to select the same software cable as Midi Out port. That's it.
2. Nuked-SC55 renders digital audio from the sent Midi messages and uses the default audio (not Midi!) device that is selected in the system as default. If you want to record the rendered audio you have to select the right recording source since the audio is not rendered by Midi player but it is rendered by Nuked-SC55. If the default audio device in Windows is not the same as the recording device/source that you select in Midi player then you will not get the audio signal rendered by Nuked-SC55.

Reply 36 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. These problems are conceptually unrelated ( one is related to Midi the other is related to rendered digital audio)
1. Nuked-SC55 by default uses the first available Midi In port (port 0) of the system. If you do not have such hardware/soundcard that has Midi In capabilities then your first Midi In port (0) will be the software cable that you created first (in your case it is loopmidi Port). So in other Midi software that you want to use with Nuked-SC55 you have to select the same software cable as Midi Out port. That's it.
2. Nuked-SC55 renders digital audio from the sent Midi messages and uses the default audio (not Midi!) device that is selected in the system as default. If you want to record the rendered audio you have to select the right recording source since the audio is not rendered by Midi player but it is rendered by Nuked-SC55. If the default audio device in Windows is not the same as the recording device/source that you select in Midi player then you will not get the audio signal rendered by Nuked-SC55.

I think I got you. Yes, my default audio device on my PC is Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio), while the recording source is Stereo Mix (With selection of Primary Recording Driver and Microphone (Realtek (R) Audio). I can neither choose Stereo Mix as my default audio device, nor use Speakers as my recording source, so, once again, I'm kinda stuck.

Reply 37 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-04, 00:16:

I think I got you. Yes, my default audio device on my PC is Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio), while the recording source is Stereo Mix (With selection of Primary Recording Driver and Microphone (Realtek (R) Audio). I can neither choose Stereo Mix as my default audio device, nor use Speakers as my recording source, so, once again, I'm kinda stuck.

No, it is not a problem. Strereo Mix is the 'recording side' of the 'Speakers' playback device. So it is not a problem. You should check in the sound control panel -> recording tab of Windows that your Stereo Mix recording source volume meter reacts to sound rendered by Nuked-SC55. If it is not then you should check the recording level of Stereo Mix. Here is another video about this:
https://youtu.be/YnH7Qq_-EjU

Reply 38 of 306, by EmperorGrieferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it is not a problem. Strereo Mix is the 'recording side' of the 'Speakers' playback device. So it is not a problem. You should check in the sound control panel -> recording tab of Windows that your Stereo Mix recording source volume meter reacts to sound rendered by Nuked-SC55. If it is not then you should check the recording level of Stereo Mix. Here is another video about this:

First, it doesn't react to the sound. Second, its initial volume was set to 54, but nothing changed even when I changed it to 100.

Reply 39 of 306, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EmperorGrieferus wrote on 2024-04-04, 00:39:

First, it doesn't react to the sound. Second, its initial volume was set to 54, but nothing changed even when I changed it to 100.

And it is not muted either? (you can find the mute button on the right hand side of level slider).
On the playback tab of the of the sound control panel you see the volume meter of Speaker (Realtek) device reacts to sound rendered by Nuked-SC55?

If Stereo Mix is not muted and you see the volume meter of Speaker (Realtek) on the Playback tab changes when Nuked-SC55 renders audio then your driver must be faulty.
In this case FSMP has no chance to record anything either since your audio recording infrastructure is broken.

One more thing:
Try to right click on Stereo Mixeer and select it as default recording device.

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2024-04-04, 00:53. Edited 1 time in total.