VOGONS

First post, by dukeofurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Allen Pilgrim, the original designer and programmer of Xargon back in 1994 has graciously released a version of Xargon that allows you to edit your own levels, maps, and story scenes using an editor that is built into this special 4/1/2024 dos version of the game. He has also provided a very detailed guide to using the editor, as well as a few new bonus levels recently created with it and some bonus music. The archive also includes all content from the full version of Xargon.

Basically everything is in here to allow you to edit existing levels, or make your own custom levels, or make a full custom episode of Xargon! Pretty great stuff!

Get it here:

https://archive.org/details/xargon-edit-version-04-01-24

Or here, in the "Extras" section:

https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Xargon.html

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the heads up! Really amazing this is a Dos release and not a modern win one 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by dukeofurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

^i am glad that this version exists, which I think reflects the hard work of a fan with the permission of the original dev, but I find that the gameplay feels pretty different from the original. For instance, when you jump in the original game, the character lands, kneels down and pauses for a bit to absorb the impact before you can then start running again. In the steam version, the character doesn't do this at all. Details like this were intentional in the original version and set Xargon (and Jill) apart from games with simpler player movement, like the original Duke Nukem. The new graphics are nice but also make the game look pretty different from the original in places.

Reply 6 of 6, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rain wrote on 2024-04-04, 12:43:

Interesting, this is the first time I hear about this remake. Nice!

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games