First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just getting round to this build now.

Athlon TBird 1200/133
A2v3Xl1l.jpg

ECS K7VMM, yes it's everyone's favourite motherboard manufacturer! At least the caps on this one look good, which is saying something for a Socket A board.
sWccN55l.jpg

Maxtor 300GB PATA
O9Yw0j5l.jpg

Other bits:
I do have a Voodoo5 for this build but I'm not sure if it's working properly or not. If not it'll be a GF3 Ti200.
Soundcard will be a Diamond MX300.

Reply 1 of 27, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

neat! I honestly like the purple pcb, I'm also going to say that ECS catches a lot of flack it doesn't really deserve. Yes they are technically a 2nd rate board maker, but they filled a niche in the computer market for people that wanted a computer and didn't have the money for high end parts. That means they did weird things. I have a baby-AT board that accepts socket 370 chips to 1ghz. I also think ECS was the company that made those frankenstein boards with agp and pci-e and both kinds of ddr.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 27, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I also think ECS was the company that made those frankenstein boards with agp and pci-e and both kinds of ddr.

ASRock did that as well on several socket 775 boards..

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 3 of 27, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You forgot the ancestor of all "WtF they do with this motherboard?" - Zida technology.
AT+ATX power connectors and DIN+PS/2 keyboard connectors on 1 motherboard...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This board has both DDR and SDR sockets.
Made some good progress on the build, glad I build it outside the box to start with because it's been a challenge to get it stable.
The Vortex 2 seems to be causing crashes in 3DMark. I'm running the official Diamond drivers, will try some reference Aureal drivers next.

First off the Voodoo5 has bad RAM 🙁 What a shame.
ag12s17l.jpg

The 300GB HDD was also bad so I'm using an older drive for now.
lsHw3wtl.jpg

Sparkle GeForce3 Ti200 128MB and a Diamond MX300.
Wp1KGCml.jpg?1
nCWbXvRl.jpg?1

On the testbench running 3DMark2000. Pioneer DVD-R and a Mitsubishi LS-120 as drive A:
j5NK6lKl.jpg
GzW6BEel.jpg

Reply 6 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed the 2041 Aureal drivers which fixed the crashes in 3DMark. Also downgraded to the 4072 Detonators which added a few hundred to the score. Shaping up to be a nice little system now. I have a stick of DDR on the way and a larger HDD (current one is only 13GB), then it'll be put into a nice beige MATX case 😎 Also have a MPU-401 card coming for my Socket 7 machine so the DB50XG from there will be transferred to the MX300.

The Athlon does run hot though! Indicated ~55C under load. I haven't installed the AMD processor driver because I read the stop grant/frequency stuff stresses the MB more.

Reply 7 of 27, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah they do run hot, I remember having a Thermalright SK6 with a 7k Delta screaming on my 1Ghz AXIA Thunderbird @ 1.33Ghz.

The Geforce 3 should be a nice match for the CPU, I had a 64mb G-Force 2 GTS Pro at the time which ran well. Watch benchmarks you getting?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 8 of 27, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

You forgot the ancestor of all "WtF they do with this motherboard?" - Zida technology.

I had a Matsonic Super 7 board like that. AT form factor with both AT and ATX mounting holes, AT and ATX power, AT keyboard plus a bracket that had PS2 mouse and keyboard ports PLUS two USB ports.

I ran that board for years.

Reply 9 of 27, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
misterjones wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

I had a Matsonic Super 7 board like that. AT form factor with both AT and ATX mounting holes, AT and ATX power, AT keyboard plus a bracket that had PS2 mouse and keyboard ports PLUS two USB ports.

I ran that board for years.

I remember that at a point I had a MSI MS-5146 (SiS chipset)motherboard which had PS/2 and KB ports instead of DIN.

It was one of the best Socket 7 boards I ever owned (next to the Luckytech P5MVP3 motherboard).I still remember most of the configuration:

96MB EDO RAM
8.4GB Samsung HDD (dead now)
BTC IDE5224 CD-RW
Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI video card (2 or 4MB)
Realtek 8139 PCI NIC (just for fun)
Sound Blaster 16 Value CT2770 ISA sound card (I first had a Sound Blaster 128 PCI sound card,but I came across the ISA card through my boxes of parts and gave it a run on the system)
Pentium MMX 200MHz (at a later point I swapped it for a MMX 233,as a the K6-2 I had was reporting 50MHz 🤣 )
Windows 2000 Professional (very sure of that as I remember it would first open with the light blue screen then change to a neon-style wallpaper I had)
200 or 250W Silverstar AT PSU

and that's the configuration.I didn't had a case back then so I had the whole system set up next to the monitor,with the HDD,PSU and CD-ROM sitting on my speakers.
Despite being sightly slow,it ran perfectly anything I'd throw at it,even Windows ME ran without even a SINGLE BSOD.Same for 98SE and 95,and 2000 Pro.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 10 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapped the DDR in and got the following 3DMark scores:

3DMark 2000: 8305
3DMark 2001: 5978

No idea if these are any good 😎

Last edited by bjt on 2014-06-25, 20:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 27, by misterjones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found it.

Matsonic MS6260S

Completely forgot that it came with a sound bracket too (i/o+joystick).

207207_001.jpg

Reply 12 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played some Blood and System Shock 2 on this last night. The Vortex DOS emulation works surprisingly well, although I had to move it manually to IRQ 7 to avoid a crash caused by conflicts with the onboard USB at IRQ 5. Also had to upgrade the Detonators back to a 45.x series driver as I was getting a bluescreen when selecting a VESA mode in Blood. Teething troubles 😒

Reply 13 of 27, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
misterjones wrote:
Found it. […]
Show full quote

Found it.

Matsonic MS6260S

Completely forgot that it came with a sound bracket too (i/o+joystick).

207207_001.jpg

I still have the brackets for sound,and for USB.However,my USB bracket was just 2 USB ports with a "USB 2.0"sticker next to them,without the PS/2 ports.
Looking at the board,I'd say this was one of PCChips more stable and solid boards,along with the M577 (I had one and it was real stable).
If you still have the motherboard in the picture (I know the pic isn't yours)then try finding a update for K6-2+ and K6-III CPUs.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 14 of 27, by Holering

User metadata
luckybob wrote:

That means they did weird things.

LMAO. That's funny how you put that. I think ECS had good mobos provided you didn't get one of those really cheap boards that couldn't overclock whatsoever (think some mobos had gimped amount of layers?).

I find the small size and purple PCB to be the coolest thing about your mobo. AMD was at their finest during Duron to Athlon64-xp days (barton xp3200 with nforce2 and dual channel ddr was like a Pentium 4 @ 3ghz, despite running @ 2.2ghz. Athlon 64 just blew away the pentium 4.). Maybe AMD will have stuff like that again some day.

I think ram goes bad a lot of times because people usually touch the chips or lay them on cotton or wool. It's really unfortunate people buy old hardware and improperly handle them (you ever see those guys repairing xbox 360s with towels and ovens?). Also don't understand how some folks with kids have time to be around computers. Unless their a web developer of some sort and that is their primary income, that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Reply 15 of 27, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awwww....and here I was hoping it would be a Slot A build.

Reply 16 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that would be cool 😀 I've never come across one.

Got hold of a Deskstar 7k160 in PATA which is working like a champ. Single 127GB partition is massive for this build. Also went back to the last 30 series Detonators to fix a weird screen corruption in DOS VESA modes. Really not appreciating the driver roulette but ATI was no better!

Will get it in a case this week and post some final pics.

Reply 17 of 27, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Seconded.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 18 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting there...

rO9AVsdl.jpg
hUzT1dFl.jpg

Reply 19 of 27, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1919 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Seconded.

Thirded. Eh, btw, what's the fastest slot A T-bird (not classic) you've ever seen? Were they even released in GHz models?

And bjt, what's the PSU you're using? I can't see it from the pics.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)