VOGONS

Reply 820 of 905, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-06, 12:56:
Vridek wrote on 2023-06-04, 17:53:
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-03, 09:15:

Can someone please confirm the list of parts for the WeeCee board revision 0.3 (the original from Rasteri that you can get from PCBWay)?

I like to confirm i have all the correct parts before moving on with troubleshooting my WeeCee.

I've attached the picture of the parts lists i downloaded from PCBWay - i only added a few comments, where needed.

So use CS4237B-KQ instead of CS4237B-JQ. Do not use 24LC04BT/SN EEPROM... I'm having a problem with it and it says on flash that it has insufficient memory (4kB is probably not enough). Before that 24LC16B/SN was used. What do you want to help with at WeeCee?

Ok, so I checked the sound chip - it is a CS4237B-KQ, so that's fine, I guess the list is incorrect and I didn't even noticed it. I used 24LC16B/SN for EEPROM, not 24LC04BT/SN.

The biggest problem that I have at the moment is that my WeeCee doesn't detect any microSD cards. Adjusting the boot options in the BIOS to "boot from SD card" doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing I didn't solder it properly, but I already tried to reflow solder on it twice. Maybe I didn't properly solder the pins of the SOM304 module?

1) Do you have SOM304RD52VINE1 ?
2) What power supply are you using to power the board ? (poor quality power supply can cause this)
3) The SD CARD may be well powered but the fault will be elsewhere. Recheck the U4 component, cold solder joint after soldering is the problem..

If you take a picture of the board and post it here we can check it.

Reply 821 of 905, by Windows98_guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Vridek wrote on 2023-06-06, 13:08:
1) Do you have SOM304RD52VINE1 ? 2) What power supply are you using to power the board ? (poor quality power supply can cause th […]
Show full quote
Vridek wrote on 2023-06-04, 17:53:

So use CS4237B-KQ instead of CS4237B-JQ. Do not use 24LC04BT/SN EEPROM... I'm having a problem with it and it says on flash that it has insufficient memory (4kB is probably not enough). Before that 24LC16B/SN was used. What do you want to help with at WeeCee?

Ok, so I checked the sound chip - it is a CS4237B-KQ, so that's fine, I guess the list is incorrect and I didn't even noticed it. I used 24LC16B/SN for EEPROM, not 24LC04BT/SN.

The biggest problem that I have at the moment is that my WeeCee doesn't detect any microSD cards. Adjusting the boot options in the BIOS to "boot from SD card" doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing I didn't solder it properly, but I already tried to reflow solder on it twice. Maybe I didn't properly solder the pins of the SOM304 module?

2) What power supply are you using to power the board ? (poor quality power supply can cause this)
3) The SD CARD may be well powered but the fault will be elsewhere. Recheck the U4 component, cold solder joint after soldering is the problem..

1) I do have the correct processor module.
2) I did read something at the beginning that some cables don't suplly enough of 5V. I will put a picture of what I used to power the WeeCee; it's just a generic Sony charger and a cable I had on hands.
3) I didn't thought of the U4 component to have cold solder joints, so I will reflow that first.

Attachments

Reply 822 of 905, by divideBYzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-06, 18:46:
1) I do have the correct processor module. 2) I did read something at the beginning that some cables don't suplly enough of 5V. […]
Show full quote
Vridek wrote on 2023-06-06, 13:08:
1) Do you have SOM304RD52VINE1 ? 2) What power supply are you using to power the board ? (poor quality power supply can cause th […]
Show full quote

1) I do have the correct processor module.
2) I did read something at the beginning that some cables don't suplly enough of 5V. I will put a picture of what I used to power the WeeCee; it's just a generic Sony charger and a cable I had on hands.
3) I didn't thought of the U4 component to have cold solder joints, so I will reflow that first.

I've found my WeeCee doesn't draw much more than 1A, unless I have USB accessories attached. Best to check to make sure your charger is rated for at least 2A to be on the safe side. Another helpful tool would be a USB current meter. You can get them on Amazon and eBay for around $10. I've found them helpful to have for troubleshooting purposes as it makes it much easier to tell if a computer is locked up, or just under heavy load and temporarily not responding as a result. I use a FNB48 myself, as it has many other functions besides current metering, such as looking for cable e-markers.

Reply 823 of 905, by Windows98_guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've found the problem. Some of the connectors for the processor module itself were not properly soldered. I didn't notice at all. I guess my soldering iron did not have enough solder on the tip, because I used less solder on it for the sound chip or I just went too fast and it didn't stick well on all of the pins.

Anyway here is the picture of it booting and sd card.

Attachments

Reply 824 of 905, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-11, 10:30:

I've found the problem. Some of the connectors for the processor module itself were not properly soldered. I didn't notice at all. I guess my soldering iron did not have enough solder on the tip, because I used less solder on it for the sound chip or I just went too fast and it didn't stick well on all of the pins.

Anyway here is the picture of it booting and sd card.

Gratz 😀

Reply 826 of 905, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ahmadexp

I'd imagine the pinout of the SOM304RD-VI and SOM304D3 are too different. I see that the SOM304D3 has PCI-E so that at least won't be working.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 827 of 905, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I would doubt that the DX3 module will work without significant changes, in fact I wouldn't recommend trying it again in case it blows something.

I am planning a DX3-based weecee-like device but it won't be in the same formfactor, and won't use the SOM-304 modules

Reply 828 of 905, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2023-06-16, 13:39:

Yeah I would doubt that the DX3 module will work without significant changes, in fact I wouldn't recommend trying it again in case it blows something.

I am planning a DX3-based weecee-like device but it won't be in the same formfactor, and won't use the SOM-304 modules

DX3 does not have drivers for VGA on Windows 98. SD Card speed is equally crappy.

Reply 829 of 905, by Windows98_guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm thinking of soldering another board, since I got 5 pcbs from PCBWay. But I do have one problem - I don't have anymore of the processor module's mounting connectors.

Now the connectors you need are "PH2*38(1.27)-5.3mm", but I was wondering if somebody has tried to use other but similiar mounting connectors for the processor module? I have found some that are the same size and number of pins on Mouser.

Reply 830 of 905, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-23, 12:22:

I'm thinking of soldering another board, since I got 5 pcbs from PCBWay. But I do have one problem - I don't have anymore of the processor module's mounting connectors.

Now the connectors you need are "PH2*38(1.27)-5.3mm", but I was wondering if somebody has tried to use other but similiar mounting connectors for the processor module? I have found some that are the same size and number of pins on Mouser.

It'll probably work. You got the mouser part number?

Reply 831 of 905, by Windows98_guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasteri wrote on 2023-06-24, 10:54:
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-23, 12:22:

It'll probably work. You got the mouser part number?

Yes. The number is: "200-FTSH13802FDV ". (The manufacturer number is: "FTSH-138-02-F-DV").
There are some other connectors available as well, but these are the only ones that at least have factory stock available.

Reply 832 of 905, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Windows98_guy wrote on 2023-06-26, 17:24:

Yes. The number is: "200-FTSH13802FDV ". (The manufacturer number is: "FTSH-138-02-F-DV").
There are some other connectors available as well, but these are the only ones that at least have factory stock available.

Yeah that looks right. Expensive though!

Reply 833 of 905, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought some cheap 1.28mm 2-row headers (for 86Duino) on Aliexpress...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 835 of 905, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got my hands on a Vortex86DX2 SOM and I tried it on the WeeCee. Lights come on, including the ethernet night and a red led on the SOM but nothing on the VGA.
I was unable to find any datasheet for the VDX2 SOM so I am not sure if it is pin compatible. I was wondering if someone has tried this before.

Reply 836 of 905, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the DX supports PCI and the DX2 supports PCIe, so that's kind of a huge difference there which is likely to significantly affect the pinout of the module 😀

Reply 837 of 905, by Vridek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ahmadexp wrote on 2023-07-08, 04:59:

I got my hands on a Vortex86DX2 SOM and I tried it on the WeeCee. Lights come on, including the ethernet night and a red led on the SOM but nothing on the VGA.
I was unable to find any datasheet for the VDX2 SOM so I am not sure if it is pin compatible. I was wondering if someone has tried this before.

There's no way it's going to be compatible. It is also possible that you have damaged the board or the SOM itself!

Reply 838 of 905, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't know there was a 304 pin module of the DX2, I do see there is one for the DX3 though and thats definitely PCIe and would likely also not work.

I've commissioned Nachtrave to assemble a board based on the SOM304RD-PI module, this has PCI instead of integrated VGA.
Should be nice to see 3D acceleration going once it's built.

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 839 of 905, by ahmadexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Duffman wrote on 2023-07-08, 09:15:

I didn't know there was a 304 pin module of the DX2, I do see there is one for the DX3 though and thats definitely PCIe and would likely also not work.

I've commissioned Nachtrave to assemble a board based on the SOM304RD-PI module, this has PCI instead of integrated VGA.
Should be nice to see 3D acceleration going once it's built.

I am really interest in your project. Is there more info available somewhere about it?