VOGONS

Reply 200 of 243, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2023-10-05, 13:38:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-04, 23:35:

Don't buy latched SATA cables. The latch tend to not unlatch. I occsaionally had seen one that wouldn't unlatch at all. This meant sore fingers or grab pair of pliers and bite hard then carefully wiggle free.

Cheers,

nah man. other way 'round for me. I cant stand when these cables come loose.

Understandable. Once I used cables with latch in a SATA port without 'latch-support'. The port tended to bulge and break. Happened once.
Some HDDs dont like the latch as well. 😒

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 201 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the inputs! (It's interesting to hear all of the arguments for and against the latches!)

It seems that virtually all "premium" cables have these latches!

The SATA II RAID card that I have fitted in this system does appear to have "latch-support":

ULOLvKi.jpg

Last edited by Irinikus on 2023-10-05, 21:01. Edited 4 times in total.

YouTube

Reply 202 of 243, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used OEM SATA cables that were used in business computers. Snaps on and stays in, takes some force to pop off.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 203 of 243, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking really great @Irinikus - that case is something else!

Still making ever so slow progress on my GTX1070 test setup (know its probably too late to inform you one way or the other now but I'll press ahead anyway) - had to fashion a new motherboard tray (from laminate flooring off-cuts) as I'll be using custom mounts to the tray for the coolers...at least thats the plan

Tt Contac 21.jpg
Filename
Tt Contac 21.jpg
File size
270.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Far as SATA cabes go, for my better builds I tend to stick with akasa PROSLIM - https://akasa.co.uk/search.php?seed=AK-CBSA05-15BK - in black or blue to suit, and the latched connectors are really low profile...the cables also stack together lovely in multi-drive setups without affecting their already low air resistance.

Reply 204 of 243, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This cooler is not enough and these is not best grade of tower coolers. Find an narrow cooling tower of better quality. Noctua exists in narrow, but mount two sideways.

Still can find larger copper heatsinks and run fans slower.

The issue is width of the heatsinks due to those sockets too close together.

Cheers,

Reply 205 of 243, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The irwindale 3.8Ghz only has a TDP of 110W so these will be more than sufficient, and as I always intended to change the fans to these - https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/inf … Air_Slimmer_90/ - it'll easily fit in this dual skt 604 setup (yes, I have checked)... can even add a third fan to complete the air tunnel effect if needed.

Tt Contac 21 dual.jpg
Filename
Tt Contac 21 dual.jpg
File size
48.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 207 of 243, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kant explain wrote on 2023-10-07, 04:43:

I have a quad 2011 serverboard I need ro stuff into a case. I bought x4 6-heatpipe coolers. It's good to see someone else.using them with xeons. I felt lime I was breaking all the rules!

Exactly...I did similar almost a decade ago with quad Opteron 6378s, cooled by modded Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVOs (was a popular mod at the time). Same idea here by modding the mounting brackets will work just fine, but enough nostalgia - lets stick to this build topic 😀

Reply 208 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-10-07, 01:07:

Looking really great @Irinikus - that case is something else!

Thanks! 😀

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-10-07, 01:07:

Still making ever so slow progress on my GTX1070 test setup (know its probably too late to inform you one way or the other now but I'll press ahead anyway) - had to fashion a new motherboard tray (from laminate flooring off-cuts) as I'll be using custom mounts to the tray for the coolers...at least thats the plan

Thanks very much for the effort! I do appreciate it! 😀

It will be interesting to see how your results compare to mine!

YouTube

Reply 209 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone here know if a TITAN Volta will be compatible with a system such as this one? (Does anyone here have one that they could test in such a system?)

My goal here is to fit the best possible GPU into this system and as far as I can tell RTX cards are a no-go here! This means that I am stuck with pre-RTX architectures and for me to successfully achieve what I've set out to do here, I need to install the absolute best pre-RTX GPU that's compatible with this system!

The reason as to why I'm asking this question is because the TITAN V is 10% faster than the TITAN XP and also features HBM2 memory (which is quite an interesting feature) and it's not an RTX-Type GPU.

Interestingly, they're both the same generation!!!

quXi63u.png

And here's how it compares to the TITAN XP performance wise:

WmknOjd.png

Here's how the TITAN V compares to the GTX 690 that I currently have installed in the machine:

Qfsru33.png

Any inputs will be much appreciated!!!

YouTube

Reply 210 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As a matter of interest, the 8800 GTX (which was intended to be used in a Core 2 system) seems to suffer more from the effects of bottlenecking than the GTX 690 does in this system, when you compare the GTEXELS/S and GPIXELS/S achieved in 3DMark Vantage VS the Theoretical maximum for both cards!

LzGSW31.png

When talking GPIXELS/S the GTX690 gets close to the 8800 GTX's theoretical maximum in this system!

And when talking GTEXELS/S the GTX 690 achieves 2.47 times the 8800 GTX's theoretical maximum in this system!

It will be interesting to see how this scales when a GPU like the TITAN V is placed in the system!!!???

Last edited by Irinikus on 2023-10-09, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 211 of 243, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Titan V is so expensive for what it is really worth based on same die as X and 1080 unless you really need all the 24GB vram. Even you will do fine with Titan XP.

Cheers,

Reply 212 of 243, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Volta chip is completely different beast, not related to Pascal and designed for FP64 computing, similar to Radeon VII, and actually can do hardware ray-tracing. Overpriced piece of hardware with significantly gutted VRAM (one HBM chip is not even functional), ROPs and cache.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 213 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-10-09, 02:20:

Volta chip is completely different beast, not related to Pascal and designed for FP64 computing, similar to Radeon VII, and actually can do hardware ray-tracing. Overpriced piece of hardware with significantly gutted VRAM (one HBM chip is not even functional), ROPs and cache.

How does the TITAN V do Hardware Raytracing without RT Cores? (It has Tensor Cores, but lacks the RT Cores that the RTX GPU's possess.)

Here are some more comparisons:

6nyPlyU.png

The GTX 690 (SLI Disabled) that I currently have fitted in the system would be performing quite a bit worse than the GTX TITAN here!!!!

NEvHVVi.png

In Crysis the TITAN V's 19,19% faster than the XP! (This is reasonably significant!)

I have a Maxwell TITAN X, which I may also slot (just to get a performance data point), but looking at the relative performance of the TITAN XP and TITAN V I find it hard to justify!!!

I'd find it extremely hard to slot a TITAN XP into this system, knowing that the TITAN V exists!!! (The only question that still stands is the TITAN V's compatibility with this system?)

YouTube

Reply 214 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just come across this video showing someone running an RTX 3080 in a P4 system: (However it is a Pentium 4 HT 651 running in a premium ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA socket 775 motherboard!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYCjfrCurA

From this I can deduce that the CPU's feature set is not a factor that would limit compatibility here, but the BIOS as well as the motherboard chipset might!

So the RTX 3090 ti may be an option here after all!

YouTube

Reply 215 of 243, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-10-10, 13:59:
I've just come across this video showing someone running an RTX 3080 in a P4 system: (However it is a Pentium 4 HT 651 running i […]
Show full quote

I've just come across this video showing someone running an RTX 3080 in a P4 system: (However it is a Pentium 4 HT 651 running in a premium ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA socket 775 motherboard!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYCjfrCurA

From this I can deduce that the CPU's feature set is not a factor that would limit compatibility here, but the BIOS as well as the motherboard chipset might!

So the RTX 3090 ti may be an option here after all!

🤣, I literally watched that video 2 days ago, but didn't even think about extrapolating findings to you Xeon build. But isn't the 651 a newer core, or are your based on Prescott as well?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 216 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Pentium 4 HT 651 is based on the Cedar Mill Core and has the following specs:

IwUtxJH.png

The Xeons fitted in this machine are based on the Irwindale Core and have the following features:

0KAPhtI.png

Note that they share the same features and technologies! (Therefore a higher level of SSE for example isn't required to get the RTX cards to run.)

YouTube

Reply 217 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ordered one of these HP F2B56AA External USB DVD RW drives for the system: (As disk drives always seem to come in handy!)

aTHyUZP.jpg

I'll let it sit on top of the system and should blend in quite nicely!

Last edited by Irinikus on 2023-10-13, 14:22. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 218 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as the plan for the system goes, in the next few weeks, I hope to install my TITAN X (Maxwell) into this machine, in order to see how well it scales compared to the GTX 690!

ahBcID2.jpg

Early next year (probably February), I'll purchase an RTX 3090 ti and attempt to get it to run in this machine! (The Founders edition, as I really like the look of these cards and think that one would look killer in this system)

takeStN.jpg

If the 3090 doesn't fire up in this system, then I'll have to scale back my expectations by then falling back to the TITAN V and then finally the TITAN XP!

YouTube

Reply 219 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I got F.E.A.R up and running on the system, with the GTX 690 setup in SLI mode, and the system ran pretty well!

xFSkxFL.jpg

oP6OZLp.jpg

a3FxWbg.jpg

F.E.A.R was the first game that I played with the 8800 GTX sitting under the monitor when I purchased it! (Those were really good times!!!)

YouTube