VOGONS

First post, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not that I really needed yet another Windows 98/XP era PC, but I saw this little NEC slimline PC pop up on eBay, and couldn't really resist it. I was drawn to the combination of really compact size with beige and also both full size floppy and optical drives - which doesn't seem a common combination!.The blue accents seem fun too!

IMG20240417211439.jpg
Filename
IMG20240417211439.jpg
File size
657.24 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG20240417211457.jpg
Filename
IMG20240417211457.jpg
File size
744.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It has an MSI MS-6786 rev.2 motherboard, which looks like it was a pretty common OEM board of the time, with the ubiquitous VIA KM400 chipset. The DVD-RW looks like it was probably a replacement, and I'll try to swap it for a beige model - but I wonder if it originally had a blue cover? There is also an internal powered mono speaker which seems interesting - DC power runs off the optical drive Molex connector, and a CD-audio type cable with only two pins presumably connects to the motherboard - it isn't connected, but I guess it goes to "JPHN1"?

IMG20240417211932.jpg
Filename
IMG20240417211932.jpg
File size
1.36 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I've never seen a motherboard with so many bad capacitors though! The majority are bulging and many oozing from the top - although it does boot. I just looked at RS and it would cost about £20 to replace all of the capacitors, which seems quite a lot for a motherboard that wouldn't be worth much more than this on its own. I do have a spare ASRock board with the same chipset so it is tempting to just swap that in instead, although a little bit sad to lose the NEC boot logo splash screen.

The Athlon XP 2800 seems like a good CPU for this era? The spare ASRock board has an Athlon XP-mobile 2400+ in it - I wonder if it would be worth swapping that in, to be cooler and easier on the PSU if I'm going to be adding a GPU?

It looks like there is a decent selection of low profile AGP cards for this era which would work nicely to build this up into a late Win98/ME/early XP system like a GeForce MX440 or FX5200 - or even a Matrox G550?

I'm also on the trail of a low profile Creative/Ensoniq AudioPCI card for better DOS compatibility (otherwise the VIA 8235 south bridge will hopefully work with SBEMU?)

Reply 1 of 3, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
justin1985 wrote on 2024-04-17, 22:04:

I do have a spare ASRock board with the same chipset so it is tempting to just swap that in instead, although a little bit sad to lose the NEC boot logo splash screen.

If you get yourself familiar with BIOS modding tools, you can maybe yoink it out of the NEC BIOS and yeet it into the ASRock one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 3, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few updates on this - thinking more about the motherboard, the ASRock spare I have has the ATX power header right in the middle of the board rather than at the front edge, which might make routing the power cable in across/around the DIMMs, but under the optical drive, quite tricky! Also the NEC board has a 4 pin 12v header, but the ASRock doesn't - seems like it might be a concern when it comes to the little 250w FSP power supply coping with Socket A?

Both of those things are making me lean towards biting the bullet and recapping the NEC\MSI board ...

The floppy drive didn't seem to work, always getting a "DISK I/O ERROR". I opened it up and frankly it looked like it had never ever been used - there was a thick lump of white grease on the motor lead screw. Cleaned this off and added a small amount of fresh white PTFE grease, and it now seems to work fine. I did also clean the heads with IPA, but I can't help think it always seems to be the lead screw that makes the difference on these ... Oh, and there was also a dead bee in there ...

The DVD drive also doesn't work and won't eject at all, even with the paper clip in the eject hole. Most likely a broken/deformed belt? I'll swap it for the beige DVD-ROM+CD-RW drive I have laying around for now, but try and restore it.

I realised I have a Radeon 9250 SE card sat around which is actually low profile, on a full height bracket. I dug around and found a low profile bracket that looks like it should fit - I don't mind losing the VGA. That seems like a nice upgrade over the onboard UniChrome graphics. This seems like it might actually be one of the best AGP cards available in low profile?

Reply 3 of 3, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You likely have this board because at that time PB equals NEC. It’s currently missing photos and bios dumps which you could contribute.

Having P4 PSU connector on 462 is very nice however it’s too crammed inside so don’t go overboard with higher clocked Athlons.

Aside from LP versions of 9250, FX5200, mx440 and G550 there are also LP Rage128 cards as well as some LP versions of FX5700LE.

There are no Creative-made 98-compatible sound cards with LP bracket out of the box. There exist however smaller PCB sound cards that work in 98 provided those clear. Among others are some models of ALS, Solo-1, and 8738. It can be quite a hunt though.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports