VOGONS

First post, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I thought I'd showcase my socket 775 windows XP gaming PC. I built this system in feb of 2022 and this system reamins my most used system other than my daily PC.
This build was hugely inspired by LGR’s windows XP gaming pc but i wanted to take the extra leap with a few things regarding my system.

System Specs:
(as of Apr 19 2024)

-TX 850W Corsair PSU
-XFX 780i SLI MOBO (new in box)
-Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700
-x2 Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX’s in SLI
-Sound-blaster Audigy 2ZS
-4GB Corsair SLI ready XMS DDR2
-4 Blue LED 80mm Zalman Fans
-250GB Intel SSD
-Fan speed controller
-random case i found on FB marketplace
-Windows XP Professional SP3

I enjoy playing on the community COD servers for MW2 MW1 and cod3 as well as the odd match of UT3. farcry is also a blast on this machine. i have yet to obtain a copy of crysis or crysis 2 to test on this PC.

I was never planning on adding a custom water cooling loop or even any AIO cooler but somehow someway the idea of a partially unnecessary water cooling popped into my head. I was lucky enough to find an 80mm radiator on amazon to fit this case.

I am using very strong metal clamps that clamp when you squeeze the sides with a wire cutter to ensure a strong hold on the tubes to the fittings, two years later, zero leaks.

I have since gotten the computer off of the carpet and moved it to a hard floor

I added the SSD just a few months ago as an upgrade to the slower Sata 150 GB HDD

In the future when i have some extra money to burn and the price is right i might consider upgrading from my qx6700 to a qx9650 or even a qx9770 if prices haven't surpassed that of a brand new car.

The images that i am including are from different stages of this PC's life, the ones with the front panel still intact with the case were taken a few days after i finished the PC before i decided to remove the front panel a year later to make room for the installation of 2 more fans to improve airflow to the bottom 8800 card and the sound blaster.

Attachments

Last edited by winuser3162 on 2024-04-19, 19:52. Edited 3 times in total.

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 1 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the most 2007 time machine build I have ever seen. I was just getting into computers back then and really active on forums like OCN and anandtech. Shiny aluminum, custom water cooling, and blue fans were all the rage. It's perfect. I love it. Put a mean OC on that core2quad for me.

Reply 2 of 6, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2024-04-19, 19:30:

This is the most 2007 time machine build I have ever seen. I was just getting into computers back then and really active on forums like OCN and anandtech. Shiny aluminum, custom water cooling, and blue fans were all the rage. It's perfect. I love it. Put a mean OC on that core2quad for me.

core 2 extreme 😉

1:intel Core 2 Extreme QX 6700, 2X GeForce 8800GTX SLI, SB Audigy 2ZS, XFX 780i SLI, 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2, Custom Waterloop
2:intel Pentium MMX , ATI Rage 3D, SoundBlaster16, Diamond Monstor 3D, 60MB Ram, Asus P/1-P55T2P4, Dual Booted Windows 95 pLuS!

Reply 4 of 6, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build!

A buddy of mine had a very similar build like this in terms of hardware... but back in 2007! It was bleeding edge back then. Not only that, but it was an Alienware system. It cost him... let's say A LOT. 😁 Even though this was the "late" XP era, he chose to have Windows Vista Ultimate to go with the rest of the bleeding edge theme. The only thing that really let that system down was the amount of RAM - he chose to go with 1 GB. Why? -IDK! He spend a few grand, but decided to save a few hundred $$ by getting less RAM, thinking he would just upgrade later.

Well, you can imagine how the "1 GB with Windows Vista" went. 😁 😁 But apart from that, his rig did run absolutely everything we could think of to throw at it... that is, once we waited long enough for things to write to the pagefile on the HDD. I think what helped a little is that he had 2x 320 GB HDDs in RAID 0 (IIRC), so the performance was still decent.

Oh, and he had an Aegea Phys-X card in there too... which was completely pointless, since the 8800 cards have a Phys-X chip built in, IIRC.

I suppose you rig is the "more clever" version of that system, since you have more RAM and no unnecessary Phys-X card or Windows Vista. As for the SSD... I don't recall seeing any rigs with those back in 2007. If anyone had one, it was rare. Certainly a niche market back then.

winuser3162 wrote on 2024-04-19, 19:18:

In the future when i have some extra money to burn and the price is right i might consider upgrading from my qx6700 to a qx9650 or even a qx9770 if prices haven't surpassed that of a brand new car.

The images that i am including are from different stages of this PC's life, the ones with the front panel still intact with the case were taken a few days after i finished the PC before i decided to remove the front panel a year later to make room for the installation of 2 more fans to improve airflow to the bottom 8800 card and the sound blaster.

Well, if you really want to go overkill, do a custom loop water cooling and get not only the video cards, but also the northbrdige and southbridge water cooled.
I have the same motherboard, but from EVGA. The OEM behind these boards is Intel. They are made pretty well. However, their biggest downside is the nVidia chipset because it's from the bumpgate era (as are the 8800 GTX's). Thus, to keep that mobo from dying in the long run, you should definitely do everything you can to keep things as cool as possible. Ideally, those bumpgated G80's should be kept under 60C at all times... which probably will be impossible without water cooling. Likewise, the chipset also needs to stay equally cool. I know that on my EVGA 780i-SLI, the chipset would very easily reach and go past 60C with the stock fan... and I had pretty good case cooling with 2x 120 mm fans + the PSU's fan. For the EVGA boards, an easy but not-super-efficient solution to the northbridge cooling is to replace the stock 50 mm fan with a 70 mm fan and bump up the fan speed to "high" in BIOS. It makes for a louder system, but it does stay in the mid 50's C. Only after hours of gaming to I see it start to get close to or jump over 60C.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2024-04-19, 19:30:

Actually, silver cases and blue lights were more of a 2003-2006 thing.
But the hardware is indeed all era-appropriate (and very high end) for 2007.

Bruno128 wrote on 2024-04-20, 12:42:

If the front panel stays on, how big is the impact on thermals?

I would guess quite a lot.
What I think makes much more of a difference, though, is the side panel. Considering the system only appears to have only an 80 mm fan (or two?) and the PSU as an exhaust, I imagine the thermals aren't great under full system load, especially after a few hours... or worse, in a hot room in the summer (the case of my old place.)
2x 8800 GTX = 280 Watts TDP. Add ~100-120 Watts for the CPU under full load, and basically you have a small space heater inside the case.

Reply 5 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
momaka wrote on 2024-04-20, 17:30:

Actually, silver cases and blue lights were more of a 2003-2006 thing.

My Thermaltake Lanmoto exactly. I even replaced the regular fans with blue LED versions (only one fan was LED originally). 😁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 6, by winuser3162

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2024-04-20, 12:42:

If the front panel stays on, how big is the impact on thermals?

its forsure helps having it off rather than not as to how much im not sure but the only downside ive noticed is more dust. whenever i use the pc i take off the side panel off and put it back on when its not in use.