Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2721 of 2743, by dukeofurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-05-13, 12:29:

Oh, there are soooo many places that could go wrong ... If I am not wrong, it's carbon coated connectors on the PCB? Be careful with those. There could also easy be a break just next to that metal bar, where it goes from being full flexible to being held rigid by the bar ...

Well... I didn't make it worse... but it seems my cleaning and reseating things also did not fix it. I played around some more with the connection between the flex pcb and cable pcb, but it didn't make a difference. I think there is good contact between the two, so you're right, the issue probably lies within the flex pcb with a broken trace or two somewhere that I don't see. Even if I found it, I'm not sure that I could repair it. Seems like it would melt if I held a soldering iron anywhere close to it.

Reply 2722 of 2743, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dukeofurl wrote on 2024-05-12, 14:25:

I picked up this gateway yesterday. It's a pentium 75, 28MB ram. From a collector standpoint it came with the original monitor, keyboard, software+drivers CDs and disks and instructions and other literature that I guess came with it originally. It seems the og OS was windows 95 but the previous owner has 98 on it. Will probably look into a lite installation of that.

ah the pentium 75, soon you'll be playing duke3d, quake and command and conquer on it!

28mb is enough for win 9x to function but would be better if a bit higher.

if i had that i'd want win 95osr2 and i'd look around for a suitable hdd or some ide to sd/cf for a good 4+gb of space (alot back then)

nice machine 😀

Reply 2723 of 2743, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one... I aimed for a late Windows 98 machine (with XP on dual boot), hence the specs: Sempron 3000+, ASUS K8V Deluxe, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti4600, Yamaha DS-XG. Since the mobo had onboard SATA, I went ahead and used a 120GB SSD - I found the idea of installing 98 on an SSD mildly amusing.

p3ZDgFb.jpeg

hexO1kX.jpeg

ViBywe9.jpeg

Reply 2724 of 2743, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking good!!

How is that Ti4600 holding up in terms of temperature? Enough airflow I presume from that fan mounted on the sidepanel.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 2725 of 2743, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No idea - I'd love to know, but GF4 has no temperature sensor it seems. The radiator gets warm to the touch, but not hot, which sounds like a good sign. I just cross my fingers that the side fan will do the job.

Reply 2726 of 2743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yojc wrote on 2024-05-14, 11:16:
https://i.imgur.com/p3ZDgFbm.jpeg […]
Show full quote

p3ZDgFbm.jpeg

Rayman 2: The Great Escape PC-CD 😎

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2727 of 2743, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@yojc : Very nice !

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 2728 of 2743, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a dual-screen battle station I use daily.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
577.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The right display is connected to my work laptop via USB-C and the left display is daisy chained via DisplayPort to the right one. The USB-C is also powering the laptop, so no need for a separate power adapter.
The left screen is also shared with my 98SE/Linux PC.

The keyboard is shared between the two computers. It's connected via Bluetooth to the work laptop and via a 2.4GHz USB dongle to the 98SE PC. Switching between the computers is trouble-free and smooth, using a Fn+ shortcut.

For Win98SE I use D-Sub output through OSSC, to avoid hassle with DVI and to get scanlines. For Linux I use DVI to get 1920x1440@50Hz resolution without scaling - native resolution of the display is 2560x1440.

IMG_0817.JPG
Filename
IMG_0817.JPG
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 2729 of 2743, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mln wrote on 2024-05-14, 15:38:
This is a dual-screen battle station I use daily. […]
Show full quote

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

The right display is connected to my work laptop via USB-C and the left display is daisy chained via DisplayPort to the right one. The USB-C is also powering the laptop, so no need for a separate power adapter.

The keyboard is shared between the two computers. It's connected via Bluetooth to the work laptop and via a 2.4GHz USB dongle to the 98SE PC. Switching between the computers is trouble-free and smooth, using a Fn+ shortcut.

For Win98SE I use D-Sub output through OSSC, to avoid hassle with DVI and to get scanlines. For Linux I use DVI to get 1920x1440@50Hz resolution without scaling - native resolution of the display is 2560x1440.
IMG_0817.JPG

Amazing, I can stand such hard retro builders. I see your four -legged buddy likes it too.

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 2730 of 2743, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one... I aimed for a late Windows 98 machine […]
Show full quote

I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one... I aimed for a late Windows 98 machine (with XP on dual boot), hence the specs: Sempron 3000+, ASUS K8V Deluxe, 512MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti4600, Yamaha DS-XG. Since the mobo had onboard SATA, I went ahead and used a 120GB SSD - I found the idea of installing 98 on an SSD mildly amusing.

p3ZDgFb.jpeg

hexO1kX.jpeg

ViBywe9.jpeg

Looks Nice.

Reply 2731 of 2743, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mln wrote on 2024-05-14, 15:38:
This is a dual-screen battle station I use daily. […]
Show full quote

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

IMG_0817.JPG

On the last pic, what kind of cord sleeves are shown? Looks very neat and tidy!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Asus V7700 GF2 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2732 of 2743, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one...

That is impressive, I think it looks awesome. You designed and built this from scratch? Would be great if you posted additional pictures of the fabrication and cutting. You must have a sweet workshop. 😀

* * * Is that a clear cover on the secondary mechanical hard drive? 😳

* * * Is that gold backplane from another system or is it fabricated too?

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 2733 of 2743, by yojc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, that's not what I meant - I should've worded this a bit clearer. Unfortunately no, I don't have such skills or workshop (I wish). I got the case second hand so I don't know the specifics, but I think it's just a case that you could buy back in the day. I've seen very similar ones in some PC magazines and on old forums. The one I bought was in a bit of a sorry state (it was probably dropped; the front is still cracked, as seen on the pictures), I've just put it together, made a new PSU shelf, straightened the backplane, etc. At least it was cheap, and came with the cathodes and fans. 😜

The HDD is purely for show, it's a broken drive. I thought with just the SSD it looked a bit empty there.

Reply 2734 of 2743, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AndrettiGTO wrote on 2024-05-15, 01:51:
That is impressive, I think it looks awesome. You designed and built this from scratch? Would be great if you posted additiona […]
Show full quote

I've always wanted a PC in a clear acrylic case, and finally I got around to making one...

That is impressive, I think it looks awesome. You designed and built this from scratch? Would be great if you posted additional pictures of the fabrication and cutting. You must have a sweet workshop. 😀
* * * Is that a clear cover on the secondary mechanical hard drive? 😳
* * * Is that gold backplane from another system or is it fabricated too?

That is a very rare skill. Vogons member Havli built his own acrylic case in the past :
My retro rigs

Reply 2735 of 2743, by mln

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
buckeye wrote on 2024-05-14, 20:12:

On the last pic, what kind of cord sleeves are shown? Looks very neat and tidy!

It's a spiral cover for cables, I found it in a DIY store: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=os%C5%82ona+ … mages&ia=images

Reply 2736 of 2743, by AndrettiGTO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2024-05-15, 12:32:

That is a very rare skill. Vogons member Havli built his own acrylic case in the past :
My retro rigs

Appreciate you digging up that link! Agree, a rare skill that can produce such unique builds like that.

It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eyeball

Reply 2737 of 2743, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AndrettiGTO wrote on 2024-05-16, 00:52:
PARKE wrote on 2024-05-15, 12:32:

My retro rigs

Appreciate you digging up that link! Agree, a rare skill that can produce such unique builds like that.

Havli's project hit me because I am a sucker for see-through cases ever since I ran into a glass cased record player in a friend's house long ago: the "Transcriber".
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/transcript_the_ … google_vignette
One of my pc's is housed in an acrylic case made by "Sunbeam" which is, I believe, also the manufacturer of Yojc's case but mine is an earlier model with a metal frame and easy access sliding side panels that are fixed with a single bolt.

side22a.jpg
Filename
side22a.jpg
File size
877.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain